SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What's needed to convert a .357 SIG 1911 to .40?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's needed to convert a .357 SIG 1911 to .40? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
I love my 1911 in .357 SIG and intend to continue to use it for carry and the night stand, but I'd like to be able to hit the range with it on a slightly cheaper budget in .40. I've got absolutely no love of .40, but it's cheaper, more readily available and easier to reload.

So for the pure economics of getting one of my favorite guns to the range more often, what do I need to swap calibers?

Just a barrel? or a barrel and a recoil spring? Or something else?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Usually just the barrel. Then adjust the sights.

Let us know how it turns out.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 3269 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums...160063244#8160063244

I asked earlier, doesn’t look promising.

Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !

Posts: 6985 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

Not too afraid of handing it off to my 'smith to fit the barrel, provided the price isn't exorbitant. I'll have to give him a call.

I found these barrels at Brownells: 1911 barrels.

Anyone know what the difference is in the ramp styles? Apparently Windsor/Nowlin vs. Clark/Para-Ord. I've never heard of this distinction before. Can either one go into a 1911 or is their something distinct about a frame that you need one or the other ramp style?

Also found this kit at Midway with the bushing and the link: 1911 barrel kit

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
This will help you figure out what ramp you have.

http://www.schuemann.com/Porta...%20Barrel%20Ramp.pdf

If you still can’t figure it out, post a pic of your barrel.

Posts: 5073 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I expect only a barrel change. However, you may have to have a gunsmith fit the barrel for best results.

That is usually all it takes for most other SIGs and I assume this is a SIG 1911 you're referencing. Even if it isn't, a barrel change should be all that is required. I don't think a change in recoil spring is required, but would be worth looking into.

As has been mentioned, the sights will also be off as .357sig is flatter shooting than .40S&W.

I've considered getting a Nightmare Commander in .357sig.

Posts: 16967 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the SIG Tacops 1911 (at least in .357) is the Wilson/Nowlin ramp, for anyone's future reference.

Based on the picture linked by tha1000, there is a definite difference in profile of the feedramp from the reference picture there. The SIG ramp goes all the way down and doesn't cut off vertically at the base.

I'll look at a .40 barrel to order and see what happens. If I get it worked out, I'll report back.

posted Hide Post
There's a guy over on the 1911 forum that had a 10mm bbl installed in his 357. From his posts it worked fine, no drama. He got his from Fusion. He did say they had to make a special cut in the bbl hood due to the external extractor.

Posts: 263 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post