SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "New" S&W 5946 From Cabela's. Got One!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"New" S&W 5946 From Cabela's. Got One! Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Well last night I could not sleep. I woke up around 0100 and turned on the TV and picked up the iPad. I saw an ad for S&W 5946’s at Cabela’s. From the reviews they said they were NOS with three 15 round magazines and night sights. So I checked the local (ok well a few hours away) Cabela’s and they were in stock in the store. After getting coffee at 0500 and making breakfast I headed out about 0830. I got there about 1100 and spied them in the gun case. $599. As I waited my turn I noticed they had two in different cases, one had a Houlton, ME roll mark and one had a Springfield, MA rollmark. When I got my turn I inspected the Houlton ME one and said I’d like one. She said she had just sold one earlier and would head out back and grab another one. She came back and said although the computer said they had two she could only locate one; the one I looked at. I told her there was another in a different case and she said “oh that’s all we have left then”. I asked if I could inspect one real good, she said yes, so I ran over the ME one and told her I’d take it. $643.49 after the Governor's share and I was on my way home.

The trigger is awesome. I really like DAO pistols, and this is better than my Sig DAK’s (and my S&W 3953TSW). The night sights are bright, the rear being dated ’14 and the front ’13. I’m kind of surprised it came with the straight backstrap as most 5906’s I have seen (including my own) have the curved. I like the feel of it though. I never realized the front was so much narrower than the 4006. This has a slanted dustcover as opposed to my 4006 with a straight one. It is also narrower. Makes it feel great in the hand. Points very nice. It also does not have the magazine disconnect or the loaded chamber indicator in the barrel hood and the slide lock is stainless as opposed to most of the newer Smith third gens which are black.

As a fan of third gen smiths I am glad I found this. For the price I think it is well worth it. I am on vacation all week so hopefully I will get out to put a few rounds through it (along with my CHP 4006).

5946, 4006 CSP, 4006TSW CHP

My two Houlton, ME guns. Both bought NIB within the last year. And if you had told me I would be buying two NIB S&W third gen automatics that were not hidden in a collection I would have called you crazy Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Huge fan of the third gen guns.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Not a gun ive ever held or had an interest to seek out,but ill be damned if that isnt one pretty gun!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Nice snag. I had a Smith 5906 ten years back, which I always wanted in DAO configuration... and probably why I stupidly sold it.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Nice Family of 3rd Gen Smith autos!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:

The trigger is awesome.

You probably got an LEO model. The 5946 was used by many PD's in the day, including NYPD. Although all S&W 3G DAO triggers are good, the special shorter trigger on some 5946's is outstanding. Of the eight S&W DAO's I have owned, none compared to the LEO 5946.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I’m kind of surprised it came with the straight backstrap as most 5906’s I have seen (including my own) have the curved.

That's not the backstrap, it's just the grips. You can change those out and have straight or curved.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warbird1
posted Hide Post
Now I will have to get mine out of the safe and hit the range again.

If I want it... I need it !

Posts: 44 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one of my 5946s (round trigger guard) and my CS9D at the range today. They are fantastic guns. It's interesting to shoot those side-by-side because the 5946 has S&W's half-cock DAO system while the CS9D has a traditional DAO with second strike capability. I actually had to use that functionality today when a round failed to go off in the CS9D.

All the 3rd gen Smiths are nice.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Smith!

I too am a fan of the 3rd Gen DAO SW's, I owned two, a 3954 (bluee version) and 6946(stainless), I was very accurate with those great triggers in those guns.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
3G S&W are the bomb! I have a 5906 TSW and it shoots like a dream.

I hate trying to clean the gunk out of all the little places S&W built into these guns, but its worth the trouble when I shoot it.

Congrats on a great find.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Glad you found that! It looks happier now that you have it a good home. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently picked up a 4054. Made in September 1991. Only 154 made. Shoots like a typical 3rd Gen Smith.
Owned a CS9 many years ago but sold it.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcfiero
posted Hide Post
Cables is out of them now.

Posts: 327 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: June 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just in case my Cabela's doesn't have any 3rd Gen S&W autos in stainless tomorrow, I gave my circa 1994 Model 915 some TLC today.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics! I just noticed the 5946 frame is cut to be able to reverse the magazine catch, so I did. Although I'm right handed I prefer to use my trigger finger. Curiously the CHP gun is not cut that way but the CSP one, which is older, is. I guess S&W couldn't make up their minds Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun....made in my hometown.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Sweet! Enjoy it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find. I have 3 third gen Smiths. They are great pistols but it sucks that they no longer service them.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I took my 5946 to the USPSA match today. The match is on the first Saturday of the month.

Today is the second Saturday of the month... sheeyit.... still a good gun.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post