SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W N frame in 357Magnum.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W N frame in 357Magnum. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The cylinder latch

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The cylinder latch

Looks like an earlier pre-Model 27 with the Six-groove Front and Backstrap versus the newer Ten-groove...Also has the obviously-pinned Front Sight Base...Nice Five-Screw Smith you have there, Para!

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at a gun show a few years back and just happened to see a real nice 4 in 28 , The tag had 275 on it I jumped on that one. The gun is maybe a 1973 gun with a very nice action .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I didn't get there in time to post Para but that little latch stands out from the latter. I never miss the earlier features of S&Ws. Cant believe blindref didn't weigh in.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My 357 Magnum transitional model, manufactured in 1950, serial number S77016, ANIB. Those with a sharp eye will notice certain characteristics of this revolver.

I regret to say that I don’t see what is special about the cylinder latch, it looks just like the one on my mid seventies manufactured 19-3. I did notice that it’s a five screw, though.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the info and the drool worthy pics. Knowing that 4” 27s weren’t really a thing helps, the 3.5’s do look pretty good. The pricing on 28’s does seem way inflated along with everything else at the moment. I think I’ll just keep saving my nickels and hold out for pricing to swing back the other way.

The top strap checkering is a handsome feature on the 27 didn’t notice that before.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Thanks again for the info and the drool worthy pics. Knowing that 4” 27s weren’t really a thing helps, the 3.5’s do look pretty good.

But, they were. With the Model 27 the four inch barrel was actually the rarest length. I had a nickled four inch 27-2, which was even more scarce, due to fewer models of any S&W revolver being produced in nickle.

The one to the lower left in this photo is the one I owned.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post

If you want a good shooter without breaking the bank a used (but cared for) Model 28 is the way to go. It’s not as pretty as the M27 but shoots just the same. The N-Frame .357 is my favorite revolver ever and I used to carry them. I stopped a while back, but only because their value has escalated so much in recent years.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably pay a premium for a S&W 520, 4" blued N frame, order of 3,000 cancelled by NY State Police.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 520 NYSP and am not as fond of it as my 27 or 28. It doesn't look quite right with the low front sight and the normal size ejector rod shroud. My 4" 58 SFPD looks more proportional with the fixed front sight.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post