SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PX4 Storm FS...any thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PX4 Storm FS...any thoughts? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
What are the thoughts out there on the PX4 Storm pistol in 9mm? What is their reliability? How do they last?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
They shoot great, they feel great. They seem to be about as durable as most modern tactical Tupperware. The stock safety / decocker levers are wide and sharp. Trigger is good. Mags by both Beretta and MDS are great quality.

Where they fall down a bit is their resistance to adverse conditions. The rotating barrel requires attention (I suggest grease) and is more easily caused to malfunction when fouled with debris.

I very much like my Storm and it has been 100% but you need to be aware of its potential limitations. No issues with Win PDX, Gold Dot or Golden Saber but I don’t think I have ever run any federal stuff through mine (no HST, tactical bonded or hydrashok etc.). I have so many guns few get lots of rounds down the pipe so I just haven’t gotten around to the federal stuff but seems to run whatever I run through it just fine with a predictable ejection pattern.

The rotating barrel does tame recoil but in a full size 9mm it’s really a case of diminishing returns IMO since we are talking about the SAVAGE recoil of the 9mm here in a full size Gun.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
What are the thoughts out there on the PX4 Storm pistol in 9mm? What is their reliability? How do they last?

---------
I love the platform. I have the 45acp. I would avoid the DAO trigger on the Px4, DAK it is not. GO with the 9mm or 45acp. YMMV

Px4 45acp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vero8,

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
And dammit they look cool.

Kiss my ass, beholder.....eye.....something about beauty. Smile. Something about taste and no accounting for it is probably just as true.

I do seriously like the looks of the PX4 as far as tactical Tupperware goes though.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:

I carried a compact in .40 for a little while. [Every year I play this game with myself where I buy a .40 - seemingly to remind myself why I don't really like .40] But all that aside, it was a very nice pistol. Probably the most under-rated of the polymer guns. On recoil, it's fantastic. On accuracy, it's a Beretta - so yeah - it can do that. On function, I never had a single hang-up with mine with fmj or hp ammo.

Upsides for me were how it handled .40 (I can only imagine the 9mm version is a real pussy cat) and how well it handled in general. Capacity was good and the trigger was very good for DA/SA.

Downsides for me were the price of magazines and the 'order only' nature of holsters. The funky dual safety levers (although an improvement over the 92's big ears) and the looks (yeah, I know, shouldn't matter). I thought it was kind of ugly, but in fairness, that was before the APX came out. Razz

Although they don't measure much bigger - if any - than their competition, something about the looks gives them a big clunky impression that they don't really deserve, and they don't feel that way in the hand.

Shooting is where they really shine. Smooth consistent trigger, and Beretta's typical accuracy and reliability (in my experience, very good).

In the end, I traded it - not because I didn't like it, but because I don't like .40 in general.

I can't say you should definitely get one, because if you like the rapid reset of a striker or hate the backwards working safety, you won't like it. However, if those things don't bother you, or if you consider them a plus (some people do) and you like or can learn to like the ray-gun-like appearance, they're a good gun.

Also of note, at least this spring/summer, Beretta had a really decent rebate on them, so make sure you're getting a fair price.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I had a Compact for a good while. Beautiful and a soft shooter. One of those should have never let it go pistols. My get the Langdon version someday.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the compact model and it's one of my favorite pistols. It's very soft shooting and quick to get back on target. I've installed a D spring and now the da pull is a very smooth 9lbs. The only thing I don't like are the sharp safety levers but Beretta does sell some smaller ones. Mine is the decocker only G model.
Some people seem concerned about the rotating barrel but a little grease around the lug is all that's needed. It's as reliable as anything else short of neglect in a muddy jungle. The rotating barrel makes for a smooth racking slide, second only to a 92.
Look up Ernest Langdon and his experiences with the PX4.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
I have one, a compact version in which I just installed the low profile safety, decocker. It is soft shooting, fun to shoot and so far, very reliable.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I love them. Burke just worked the triggers on my set. The stock trigger was outstanding but now 8#/3.5# with a SRT like reset. The compact is shorter (muzzle to grip) than a 19 and the sub is shorter than a 26. They are heavier than Ze Glocks but they shoot like laser beams. Very underrated pistols.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Two things I'd like to see from Beretta, a flip down mag base for the Px4 compact, and a compact Px4 in 45Acp.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own a PX4 in 9mm. Typical Beretta, great quality, design and function.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won my PX4 FS in .40 at a local gun raffle a few years ago, and did shoot it some here and there. It was the "F" model with safety and decocker, with the sharp ambi wing levers, which kept me from shooting the gun more than I did. I did consider selling it a few times, but I am sitting on over 600 rds of .40 ammo, and besides the 4040 PD S&W which pretty much stays in the vault, the PX4 is the only other .40 I own, so I decided to keep it.

Converted it to "G" version, decocker-only, about a month ago, with the low-profile levers, which for me is a big improvement. And, just this week purchased a new 17-round mag from a fellow forum member, which gives me another reason to keep it

The perceived recoil in .40 is low, likely due to the rotating barrel. As Chris notes, I keep the lugs greased, and the pistol has been flawless. A few outdoor range trips after I first got it were in the winter, with temps in the low-20s in northern OH, and no issues whatsoever.

And, the DS/SA configuration mimics my Sigs and the 3rd Gen S&W 3913 which I carry on occasion, which works for me.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Friend had a Compact .40, shot well aside from seeming a bit bulky for CC duty.
Only complaint I had from my limited range time with it was the sharp safety lever.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Look up Earnie Langdon, and the 60k that he has through one of them. (I believe he has several other fairly high round count guns as well).

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Look up Earnie Langdon, and the 60k that he has through one of them. (I believe he has several other fairly high round count guns as well).

^ Yep.

I think he has 150k through the platform now.

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Most all the Combat plastic seems to be able to go through obscene amounts of rounds.

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting a long time for them to re-relase the G model(I think they stopped making the PX4-G when they moved the factory?). It's been so long since I've seen one for sale. It's going to be my next gun purchase if I ever see a g model for sale again.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
G is decocker only, correct? If so, AFAIK, the Storm is fairly easily changed over.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I've been waiting a long time for them to re-relase the G model(I think they stopped making the PX4-G when they moved the factory?). It's been so long since I've seen one for sale. It's going to be my next gun purchase if I ever see a g model for sale again.

They are at distributors. I bought a compact G a month ago. Doesn’t come with backstraps but is decocker only, slim slide lever on left, right side slide lever delete just like EL’s Compact Carry model. I am amazed at the trigger post Robert Burke. It’s like a worked over P series Sig with SRT and pretty close to my Sphinx SDP’s.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I have the Compact Carry. Great gun, it's my G19 since I prefer traditional double action. If you get one try a Wilson 12# mainspring, it's even nicer than the 'G.'

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post