SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question about steel case ammo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about steel case ammo Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My thanks to pedropcola for answering the question I asked. My own observations about steel case ammo are this:
2. I have seen numerous Glocks eat it like gourmet ammo at matches. Never a problem. I run it without a second thought in my Glocks. Truly a durable pistol if not the most durable and certainly not a $3,000+ custom 1911.
2.Custom 1911 manufacturers will tell you not to shoot aluminum or steel case ammo in their pistols.
3. The Ruger manual tells you it is ok to run steel case in their 1911 pistol. Mine tends to jam although others have no problem ( 1911 forum)
4. HK says brass only although I suspect the HL USP FS which is built like a tank can easily use steel case. I have heard tales of this pistol's ruggedness.
5. I called CZ and at first they told me it was ok to run steel case in their pistols. I thought this makes sense cause it is made in an old com-block country. Then they told me I should not use a steady diet of steel case in their pistols.
6. I would have no hesitation about shooting steel case through a Sig 320. I have met one person here who has shot 5,000 steel case rounds through one.
7. During WW 2 we turned out plenty of steel case ammo for 1911s.
Last with Glocks and Sig 320s we are not talking about custom guns but more pedestrian variety semis. If we break one no tremendous loss. They are very tough pistols - probably the toughest of all pistols. Glocks are legendary for durability, dependability, reliability, and simplicity. They have a tremendous number of users including our own Delta Force, Seals, and Marine Recon. I met police officers that swear by them. Hopefully the Sig 320 will turn out to be the same.
My thanks to all who commented on the question I asked. Much appreciated.

Posts: 139 | Registered: August 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have not read the lucky gunner article but how would a steel CASE effect barrel life? That doesn’t make sense to me. I can see it being a little harder on chambers mags, or extractors over time but a barrel??? I will read the article but I am not understanding.

They aren't saying it was the steel case that trashed the barrel. The steel-cased ammo ALSO happens to use a bi-metal jacketed bullet that's harder than a copper jacket, and it was the bullets that trashed the barrels. The steel cases themselves are completely innocent of that charge.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Viking:
My thanks to pedropcola for answering the question I asked. My own observations about steel case ammo are this:
2. I have seen numerous Glocks eat it like gourmet ammo at matches. Never a problem. I run it without a second thought in my Glocks. Truly a durable pistol if not the most durable and certainly not a $3,000+ custom 1911.
2.Custom 1911 manufacturers will tell you not to shoot aluminum or steel case ammo in their pistols.
3. The Ruger manual tells you it is ok to run steel case in their 1911 pistol. Mine tends to jam although others have no problem ( 1911 forum)
4. HK says brass only although I suspect the HL USP FS which is built like a tank can easily use steel case. I have heard tales of this pistol's ruggedness.
5. I called CZ and at first they told me it was ok to run steel case in their pistols. I thought this makes sense cause it is made in an old com-block country. Then they told me I should not use a steady diet of steel case in their pistols.
6. I would have no hesitation about shooting steel case through a Sig 320. I have met one person here who has shot 5,000 steel case rounds through one.
Last with Glocks and Sig 320s we are not talking about custom guns but more pedestrian variety semis. If we break one no tremendous loss. They are very tough pistols - probably the toughest of all pistols. Glocks are legendary for durability, dependability, reliability, and simplicity. They have a tremendous number of users including our own Delta Force, Seals, and Marine Recon. I met police officers that swear by them. Hopefully the Sig 320 will turn out to be the same.

As to this last point:

- it is true that the USA manufactured USGI steel-cased .45ACP ammunition, along with steel case .30 carbine and .38 Special ammunition. However, it’s use was limited to TRAINING ONLY.

- Why, I remember when we used to get free practice ammunition through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (aka CMP) - mostly for our Garands & 1911s; some of it was the old steel case stuff. I even have one of my reloading manuals from the 1960s where it says you can reload the GI steel case stuff. It is plated. Supposedly it’s plated with Cadmium metal - so probably not something healthy to breathe if you dry-tumble.

But getting back to today’s Ruskie stuff:

- will it void the Sig factory warranty if you use it?

Posts: 381 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I do not think I have ever read a manual that voided a warranty due to steel cases as long as it’s SAAMI/CIP spec.

Most will call out reloaded ammo and +P+ but nothing within SAAMI specs.

I’ve only seen cautions against steel and aluminum in various manuals.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm a lot more afraid of steel in or on the bullet than in the case. In the early 2000s I shot a fair amount of Wolf in 9mm through a Glock and a SIG with no problems. Circa 2004 I did have a .223 case get stuck in a Mini-14 chamber, so tightly that it stayed in while the extractor tore the rim off. I didn't really determine the cause. Back then the cases were lacquered, IIRC. The bottom line is try a little in your particular gun(s) and see if it "likes" it or not.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The only case failure I've had was brass, part of the edge broke off and lodged under the extractor on my AK of all things, took a bit to find since it was under the edge by the extractor and coated in black, once cleaned it reared it's tiny brass head.

Steel cased ammo hasn't failed in any of my guns, although I do buy mostly brass, the steel came in when it was the only thing available during the recent unpleasantness toward firearms.

Got a picture of the thing stuck on the face of the bolt after cleaning,

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean, would you put regular gas in a Ferrari? Of course not.

I would if the engine was within the compression range of 87 or 89 octane. It's not like its a purity number or somehow refers to the quality. It's a number that describes the resistance to pre-detonation.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TY44934:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Viking:

As to this last point:

- it is true that the USA manufactured USGI steel-cased .45ACP ammunition, along with steel case .30 carbine and .38 Special ammunition. However, it’s use was limited to TRAINING ONLY.

I have serious doubt that steel case ammo was used for training only during a world war
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=340282

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Circa 2004 I did have a .223 case get stuck in a Mini-14 chamber, so tightly that it stayed in while the extractor tore the rim off. I didn't really determine the cause. Back then the cases were lacquered, IIRC.

I shot some Silver Bear 5.56mm back in the early 2000s. Often, the extractor would tear the rim off. So much that I kept a cleaning rod with me to push them out. Never bought anymore.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’ve shot tons of it. Never an issue.

Well, except for one 226 that I shot 20k or so through. Firing pin corroded to the point it pitted. The pitting eventually allowed the tip to break half way off causing an occasional misfire. Replaced the firing pin and drove on. I don’t think that steel case these days is nearly that corrosive as the older stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot approximately 10k rounds of Tula 9mm. I can remember one round that failed to fire. I put the round back in the next magazine and it fired fine.

People overthink things.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cous 2492

What pistol(s) did you shoot the Tula through?