SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    STI 2011 - DUO or other plate for RMR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

STI 2011 - DUO or other plate for RMR? Login/Join 
posted
I'm going to order another 2011 - likely a Stacatto C2 when they are available. I am unimpressed with how high the RMR rides on the factory DUO mount. I am considering having a Chambers RDSM plate or maybe a Trijicon mount fitted. Realistically, both the Trijicon and the Chambers will end up cheaper than the premium they charge for the DUO, but cost is overall not a concern. It looks like both the Chambers and Trijicon mounts are lower - the Chambers much so, but maybe with a less useful iron sight, which is minor to me.

I am likewise not very concerned with the possibility of STI not warrantying the gun.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I sent in my C2 order to Buck this morning. Not the DUO version. I'm also researching places to have it milled. My department is going to issue the Trijicon RMR this year so I figured I'd do the same to my C2 but I prefer a milled slide. I sent my Glock 31 slide out to Maple Leaf to get milled. Everyone else at work is going to use the RM44 plate by Trijicon.

I'm not sure Maple Leaf does 2011s yet. I will check the quality of my 31 slide when it gets back and inquire about 2011s.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I believe I heard tell that with the 2020 revs of the Staccato DUO line, STI might be going to a thinner (or lower) plate.

Does anyone know if that's the case? I feel like I heard it in Hilton Yam's video a few weeks ago, but I could be wrong.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's almost mentioned in an Instagram post from Yam (I think). My potential issue is that the included sights are most likely going to remain the same height to match the DPP, so you end up with a high set of sights and a lower dot.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, STI is only making the 4.4" Staccato P now. The "Officer's Double Stack" grip from the C2 will not be for sale by itself "for the time being". Chambers confirms the RDSM can be fitted to the Staccato C2 slide.

So, for me, it's looking like a C2 non-DUO and Chambers RDSM.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. So about 3 bills. That's not bad. The second certified installer on their website is about an hour from me. Maybe I will give him a call.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
It's almost mentioned in an Instagram post from Yam (I think). My potential issue is that the included sights are most likely going to remain the same height to match the DPP, so you end up with a high set of sights and a lower dot.

It appears that Hilton and Mike Pannonne are going to be the factory reps. Don't know if Noner is leaving CZ or if he'll do both.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Thanks for the info. So about 3 bills. That's not bad. The second certified installer on their website is about an hour from me. Maybe I will give him a call.

The premium on a Staccato P for the DUO is $500, so the Chambers solutions is pretty affordable on top of that. Heck, you could almost get the RDSM installed and a 507c for the price of just getting a Staccato P DUO.

I emailed Dave Laubert with a couple questions and he replied at 4:30 AM. That's service.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
It appears that Hilton and Mike Pannonne are going to be the factory reps. Don't know if Noner is leaving CZ or if he'll do both.

I was a little surprised by Panone signing on. Interesting for sure. Yam is still doing all of his 10-8 Performance stuff (and building that business) so who knows.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I ordered my C2 without DUO.

Now to decide which to use, my P or C2.

I can buy an RMR on uniform allowance so I will use that for my Staccato. I’m still waiting for the 30 RMRs I ordered for our duty weapons months ago. I’m sure the Safariland holsters are still behind.

Not minority enough!

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Looking at the photos for the 2020 line that are up now, what do we think about the DUO? It looks like they did actually revamp the mount; seems much lower. They only have a DPP pictured on the Staccato P, which is a bigger profile than the RMR. They have a Romeo Zero on the Staccato C which looks to be adequately low.

Some changeup in the non-DUO too: the P now has an adjustable rear.

I'm still on the fence. I like the monetary savings you all have mentioned going with the Chambers solution, but I really don't want irons in front of the optic. With the new DUO apparently sitting decently low, I'm struggling to choose between the 2020 DUO or going with the Chambers mount.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a mention somewhere that the "new" RMR DUO plate is 30% thinner. My suspicion is that the DPP will still dictate how tall the sights are, so the RMR will sit (a little) lower and the sights will be taller relative to it, which I don't really care for.

I have ordered a C2 non-DUO and will be going with the RDSM.

Also, for those looking for a duty holster, until Safariland gets one out there, Buck Pierson showed o ln his Instagram that the 6360RDS-2192 (M&P Core 1.0 I think) fits and retains the 4.4" Staccato P with optic and X300 Ultra. I know that won't be "good enough" for some folks because the holster doesn't have "STI 2011" marked on it, but it would be worth investigating in my eye.

Picture of OlympicFox
posted Hide Post
I had two Dan Wesson's machined and fitted with the Trijicon plate and RMRs; a Valor Commander in 45 and a PM-C in 9mm.

While the machine work was excellent, both guns were sluggish afterwords. They run OK on full power self-defense loads (Federal HST), NATO FMJ and +P. OTOH, both guns run poorly on lighter IDPA/USPSA handloads.

The Valor Commander 45 tends to stall when the round hits the feed ramp, and the 9mm PM-C stove pipes like crazy.

The core of the problem is the 1.4 ounce additional weight of the RMR & mount, even after machining the slide.

The Chambers mount looks to be significantly lighter than the Trijicon mount, especially if one leaves off the BUIS. Even with the BUIS, I'm sure the Chambers is lighter because the rear sight on the Trijicon mount is massive.

FWIW, my next move is to put the slides on a diet with a tri-top and carry cut.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

Posts: 168 | Location: Olympic Peninsula | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you concerned trying a different recoil spring?

posted Hide Post
An update on this thread:

I now have a Staccato C2 with the Chambers Custom RDSM installed and an RM06 Type 2. I put maybe 250 rounds through the gun before it went to the gunsmith and maybe 300 rounds today with it back.

Here are my thoughts:

1) The Staccato C2 is an absolute rock star of a gun. I was skeptical about the way it would track through recoil with the aluminum frame (more weight is more better, right?) I was wrong. It shoots smoother and tracks faster than my Tactical 4.0 HOST (my only other STI). I think that the Gen 2 grip (in this case the ODS grip) has a lot to do with that. It's thinner and has excellent gripping surfaces.

2) The RDSM is an outstanding mount. This is my first foray into an irons forward red dot configuration. I can take or leave that part so far. The mount puts the dot pretty low and is very well made. You can tell that the tolerances are exacting. The gun shoots great with the optic installed. No shock there.

3) My only complaint with the RDSM - there has been some material out there claiming you can retain your factory height front sight with the RDSM because the rear sight is lower than a suppressor sight. The second part is true, but with my gun zeroed and shot off of a rest at 25 yards, the offset between the irons and the dot is obvious and massive. I would guess it's 16-18" high with the irons. I'll be doing some more testing and getting a taller front sight. Not a big deal, and likely amplified on my shorter slide gun.

SO... If you're looking for a red dot mount for your 1911 or 2011, I think the RDSM is a very attractive option.

posted Hide Post

Finally posting a photo. I have since obtained a Staccato P and had an RDSM installed on it, also. I really like the mounts. I'd say I have a couple thousand rounds on them now in total with no shift in zero or other issues. Still need to calculate the proper front sight heights but just haven't gotten to it.

I think the new C&H plate for the DUO guns looks pretty good, but you're already paying $500 extra for it plus the C&H plate where you're into the RDSM for about $350.