SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about a new 44mag....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a new 44mag.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I know you already ordered them both - actually a pretty good idea! - but I wanted to toss in that it seems S&W is now getting their 2.5" M69s out to the shelves. I'll be taking a hard look at those myself. I've varied what I take out in to the woods over the years, but that package seems like a nice "compromise".

I saw that m69 combat magnum and it's pretty cool, I already have a snub you 44 mag though so looking for something a bit larger.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Ruger .44 mag. I had three of them but sold one to buy my first sig some years ago.
You just cannot go wrong with a Ruger. Good company especially if you have a problem.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post

I like my 4" Redhawk a lot, even more now after adding the pachymars as they cover the backstrap. With full power .44 magnums it helps to have as much padding as possible, especially the 340 grain Buffalo bores that put out 1533 ft-lbs of energy! It's nice to have a revolver that can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. That said I really prefer shooting 44 special, which are like powder puffs in this thing. Build quality is good, very solid, good adjustable sights, decent trigger. Not perfect like a Freedom arms in terms of fit and finish but serviceable for sure and should outlast you and maybe further generations. I think the Smiths are more "polished" and cleaner, but the Rugers are just tanks and it's a great feeling to hold such a chunk of a gun. Good luck choosing!

Posts: 4609 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
For the "Experts" out here, that know all about "loosened up" Smith & Wesson's....Show me a modern S&W .44 magnum revolver that has become unusable due to use. By "modern" , I mean manufactured in the last twenty years.

Not sure when they are supposed to loosen up but I have put at least 500 through my M29 MG (Cabelas limited run) and it is fine. My carry ammo is Hornady 300gr, with the ports it is fine with the Pachmyers on it but with the Ahrends it is a bit sporty for more than 50.

Action by Mr. Hamilton, so smooth and light I have no use for SA.

I have since switched back to an SDM gold bead, paired with the Bowen Rough Country rear it act likes an express sight...very quick

With the Rgrizzle IWB holster it carries very well....it's no Jframe but it disappears under a polo

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Owning prelock S&W 44 magnums from 3" RB through Dirty Harry's 6.5" 29-2, I can safely say that grip fit is the #1 issue and after that, any barrel length is OK.

That said, I am not a fan of the new MIM/lock S&W's, not at all.

Ruger offers a shorty 3" Redhawk, looking pretty good to me.

Only issue with Ruger is the trigger feel. If you can find a good gunsmith to make it right, you're golden.

I'm not a fan of the lock either, not much to be done about it I guess unless you want to buy an older one. The redhawk you're talking about is 2.75" and I have it already. It's a cool gun but the rounded handle with no other gripnoptions (no hogue) pretty much make it a backup/carry only gun.

Get a BK grip adapter, they are just like a Tyler T grip.

If not that, contact Culina Grips, they are in California and make excellent grips.

No reason that Ruger should be relegated to back up.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not a fan of the lock either, not much to be done about it I guess unless you want to buy an older one.

Remove it and install a plug.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Owning prelock S&W 44 magnums from 3" RB through Dirty Harry's 6.5" 29-2, I can safely say that grip fit is the #1 issue and after that, any barrel length is OK.

That said, I am not a fan of the new MIM/lock S&W's, not at all.

Ruger offers a shorty 3" Redhawk, looking pretty good to me.

Only issue with Ruger is the trigger feel. If you can find a good gunsmith to make it right, you're golden.

I'm not a fan of the lock either, not much to be done about it I guess unless you want to buy an older one. The redhawk you're talking about is 2.75" and I have it already. It's a cool gun but the rounded handle with no other gripnoptions (no hogue) pretty much make it a backup/carry only gun.

Get a BK grip adapter, they are just like a Tyler T grip.

If not that, contact Culina Grips, they are in California and make excellent grips.

No reason that Ruger should be relegated to back up.

It seems like somebody should be able to make a grip that sort of surrounds the bottom of the grip frame to fill it out more.

its great for carrying around, not very fun to shoot, I have a tyler T-grip but havnt had the chance to install it yet.

Just googling around a but, it looks like pachmeyer grips will fit it too.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

I'm not a fan of the lock either, not much to be done about it I guess unless you want to buy an older one.

Remove it and install a plug.

If its the one I keep, thats what Ill do.

posted Hide Post
Got one of the Smith and Wesson model 69. I really like it. Very accurate and light weight. However you give up a round of ammunition.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post