SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking about a new 44mag....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about a new 44mag.... Login/Join 
posted
I just received an unexpected bonus from my current job which I will be leaving in the next 6 weeks for my new job in Alaska, Im thinking of getting another 44 magnum because I have tons of 44 ammo, I like the 44 mag and Ill be living in Alaska so I dont think I can have too many of them.

Right now my only 44mag is a 2.75" ruger redhawk, It a very cool gun but I think for the next one I want something with a 4" barrel which basically leaves me with 2 choices.

-S&W 629
-Redhawk

Both are awesome and both are fairly similar in price. My dad has always been an SW guy and Ive always liked Rugers but Im wondering if this wouldnt be a good chance to branch out a bit.

What say you Sig Forum??? If you were buying one of these 2, planning to carry it fairly often and shoot hotter ammo through it (buffallo bore etc) what would you pick?

Im on the fence, I like redhawks, I wouldnt mind trying a SW.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For durability: Redhawk.
For a lighter, more compact carry: M629.
I carried a 4 inch 29 for years in one of the old Bianchi pancake holsters, loaded with WW Silvertip 44 Special. I don't think I could have done that with the Redhawk.
I did the same setup with a S&W 25-5 in 45 Colt.
N frame is my size limit for an EDC revolver.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like 47oz vs. 41.5 oz on these 2, I know weight adds up as the day goes on.

I suppose I could throw the 329 into the mix as well, not the old backpacker one though, I already have a "snubby" 44mag.

The 329 cuts things down to 25.2oz. So it would save me ~22oz/16oz over the other 2....seems good to carry, not very fun to shoot, I wonder how it would hold up with heavier ammo, I guess Id probably shoot it less.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

very nice, my dad has one that is very similar but stainless.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

very nice, my dad has one that is very similar but stainless.

That's not mine; it's from this article about the model 29:

https://www.americanrifleman.o...ricas-shooting-star/

Although, one of my brothers had that exact gun. Another brother had a 29 with a 4" barrel. I think it looks better with the 6", but the 4" is definitely handier.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive never been a big fan of long revolver barrels, my dad is but I really like ~4" although I have a super blackhawk with a 6.5".

This new 44 will ride in a diamond customs guide rig which ill order as soon as I choose which gun to get.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Right now my only 44mag is a 2.75" ruger redhawk, It a very cool gun but I think for the next one I want something with a 4" barrel which basically leaves me with 2 choices.

-S&W 629
-Redhawk

Or a Super Blackhawk, Vaquero, Freedom Arms 83.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:

-S&W 629
-Redhawk

Or a Super Blackhawk, Vaquero, Freedom Arms 83.

I have a super blackhawk in 454, I suppose I wouldnt mind one in 44mag, that would be fairly cool.

The vaquero dosent really do much for me though. Id love a freedom arms, Ill check out gunbroker and see what I could get into one for price wise.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this thing would be pleasant, or even tolerable, to actually shoot with full power .44 Magnum. Maybe with .44 Specials.
quote:
The 329 cuts things down to 25.2oz. So it would save me ~22oz/16oz over the other 2....seems good to carry, not very fun to shoot, I wonder how it would hold up with heavier ammo, I guess Id probably shoot it less.

A pound and a half .44 Magnum? Eek I can see the forum classifieds now. "S&W 329, CHEAP!! With 48 rounds of ammo."

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I can't believe this thing would be pleasant, or even tolerable, to actually shoot with full power .44 Magnum. Maybe with .44 Specials.
quote:

A pound and a half .44 Magnum? Eek I can see the forum classifieds now. "S&W 329, CHEAP!! With 48 rounds of ammo."

I suspect you're right, for that exact reason im going back to my first 2 options.

Reminds me of my friend, he went on a grizzly hunt in Alaska, sort of a ridiculously expensive once in a lifetime sort of thing, he was convinced that he needed a big bore magnum that was going to be light weight (he didnt realize how much he'd actually be within a mile of camp glassing for days on end) so he called up Melvin Forbes and ordered a NULA rifle in 375HH. The gun showed up and was incredibly light, it was very cool but extremely unpleasant to shoot.

He sold it shortly after the hunt with most of a box of ammo.

Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
For lighter weight carry pieces I like Smith just fine. For bigass bruisers in .44 Mag I've decided that Ruger is my go to as you can see below.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 4-inch M29. It's a bit of a handful with full power 44 mags, but a sweet shooter with reduced loads or 44 special. If you are looking for something to hunt with using full power loads or to mount a scope, I'd go with the Ruger, but for a packing gun, the Smith is nice.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Rugers!!!

Im a big fan of Ruger SA revolvers.

The case hardened SBH is tempting but I want a bit shorter of a barrel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I have a 4-inch M29. It's a bit of a handful with full power 44 mags, but a sweet shooter with reduced loads or 44 special. If you are looking for something to hunt with using full power loads or to mount a scope, I'd go with the Ruger, but for a packing gun, the Smith is nice.

Hunting, maybe but no plans of mounting a scope of any kind, it will be a woods gun to take fishing, hiking, rafting, camping, berry picking etc.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Redhawk w/ 4.2 barrel

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Redhawk w/ 4.2 barrel

Im leaning that way ~80%, still waiting to see if somebody can convince me to go with the 629 though.

posted Hide Post
Morning newmexican:

If I was going to carry a .44 full time in bear country then personally I would probably pick the S&W 69. Not the most robust in the S&W line & only 5 shot but it has a 4" barrel & carries like a feather.

I have a couple of 69's as well as other .44 mag guns & it seems that the one I mostly gravitate to for bear country backup is the 69 as it carries so nice, shoots excellent, & has a good trigger pull.

If you plan on occasionally carrying but shooting a lot then maybe a heavier framed .44 with a longer barrel but for daily carry & quick firepower when needed then the 69 is hard to beat.

Posts: 125 | Registered: October 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mildot22:
Morning newmexican:

If I was going to carry a .44 full time in bear country then personally I would probably pick the S&W 69. Not the most robust in the S&W line & only 5 shot but it has a 4" barrel & carries like a feather.

I have a couple of 69's as well as other .44 mag guns & it seems that the one I mostly gravitate to for bear country backup is the 69 as it carries so nice, shoots excellent, & has a good trigger pull.

If you plan on occasionally carrying but shooting a lot then maybe a heavier framed .44 with a longer barrel but for daily carry & quick firepower when needed then the 69 is hard to beat.

Thank you for that advice, Im not very familiar with the m69, Ill look into that one right now.

posted Hide Post
The 69 is nice. It's a step back from an N frame if you want something a bit smaller, five shots. It's got a two piece barrel.

You'll be shooting a redhawk the same fifty years from now, if you shoot much. Not so for the smith, which will loosen up.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post