SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Battle of the 1911 style 380’s opinions needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle of the 1911 style 380’s opinions needed Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
WE love our P238, but whatever you do, stay away from Colt.
Their pistol quality is nowhere to be found and their customer service, is not service.

I have a good friend that works at a LGS and he said he tries to talk people into buying something other than the Colts they sell.

He said if they send the gun back when it won't function right, it usually comes back in the same condition, broke. He said Colt acts like they do not care either.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Photoman:
Since he is familiar with the 938, I think the simple solution is to provide a 238.

I agree. The P238 is essentially the same gun with slightly smaller dimensions and less recoil. If something lighter and smaller (and cheaper) appeals to you, you might consider the Ruger LCP II. It is not a true single action, but very close, and may be more suitable for pocket-carry.

Posts: 21 | Registered: June 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am holding out for the Springfield 911. I want the blk one, not out just yet.

Initially, I thought “just another,” but it is 3 oz lighter, great sights, tapered slide, nice gun!!

I hope they do a 9mm version.

I am trading my EMP for a 938 soon.

Posts: 1153 | Location: Decatur, GA | Registered: November 14, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
WE love our P238, but whatever you do, stay away from Colt.
Their pistol quality is nowhere to be found and their customer service, is not service.

I have a good friend that works at a LGS and he said he tries to talk people into buying something other than the Colts they sell.

He said if they send the gun back when it won't function right, it usually comes back in the same condition, broke. He said Colt acts like they do not care either.

The Colts that have been made in the past few years have been some of the best fitted Colt 1911's they have made. I bought a new s/s Colt Competition gov't 9mm less than a year ago and the barrel bushing fit and slide to frame fit rival my Ed Browns. Most people have been echoing the same experiences in the other Colt 1911 thread that is on here.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sox:
I am holding out for the Springfield 911. I want the blk one, not out just yet.

Initially, I thought “just another,” but it is 3 oz lighter, great sights, tapered slide, nice gun!!

I hope they do a 9mm version.

I am trading my EMP for a 938 soon.
The black model was just announced.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 796 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. While it won’t really be a gun for me, I will head to the local range and test fire some rental guns to narrow it down. The range gun shop had LCP’s for $250, so from a budget perspective it is the way to go, but really would prefer the single action hammer fired option

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to my local range and tried the rental 238 and also the Ruger lcp2. I was expecting to shoot the 238 more accurately but that was not the case! Both guns functioned great were sufficiently accurate (crazy to me but the Ruger was at least the equal if not mildly better than the 238 accuracy wise) I still like the looks function and overall 238 better but not convinced it is worth pretty much double the price of the Ruger

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since he already owns a 938, why not a 938, only slightly bigger than a 238? Unless its a must to have 380 in your collection when he leaves.

Posts: 340 | Registered: January 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john kwoka:
Since he already owns a 938, why not a 938, only slightly bigger than a 238? Unless its a must to have 380 in your collection when he leaves.

We are talking about exclusively pocket carry and the 238 gives you much more wardrobe wiggle room than the 938 which is on the edge of pocket carry.
My mental debate continues in that I shot the Ruger lcp 2 about as well as the 238 and my usual Glock 42. But my friends call me a freak as I can pick up any gun and shoot it pretty well whereas the friend I am going to equip with this can’t do squat with anything except a single action auto.
I am eligible for the sig individual officer program pricing ( retired military) but the price break still puts a 238 about the price of two lcp 2’s. Decisions decisions

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a carry gun I fondled a 938 with Hogue grips. I darn near didn't give the thing back.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a star model s the other day. Pretty good looking pistol

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I saw a star model s the other day. Pretty good looking pistol

I have a Star BKS in 9mm,

basically a small framed 1911 type,

shoots well, but I never carry it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

This is the Star Model S I was talking about. Damn good looking pistol.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post