SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Battle of the 1911 style 380’s opinions needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle of the 1911 style 380’s opinions needed Login/Join 
posted
While I am all set with deep cover carry guns myself, a good friend will be visiting next month and will need a carry gun for the time he is in town. A true pocket carry size is needed, and he is an old school single action guy ( his primary carry guns at home are a sig 938 and high powers)I can offer him my Glock 42, but he hates glocks and can’t shoot them well. I would like to obtain a single action 380 for pocket carry for him when he visits. The field is pretty crowded now with Colt Sig Sauer kimber and recently Springfield also. What would you choose of these?
They all seem to be the same price give or take a little. My baseline so far:
Colt has been making them for a long time
The Sig Sauer seems to have a good reputation and following
Kimber seems to have more QC issues
I think the Springfield is too new, don’t want to be a beta tester
What do you all have to say?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
How about a SIG 238 or perhaps one of Rock Island's .380 1911s?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There seem to be a few good deals on used Beretta 84s out there, and they do have the 1911-style thumb safety. I think J&G in Prescott has a batch.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 238 or 938. I have shot both, and own the 938, and they are fantastic guns.

The Kimbers look very nice, but around here, they are priced at a premium to the SIGs, particularly in .380.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The Sig P238 HD has my vote.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper for him to check a bag with his P938 in it??? $25 each way...

But if you're just looking for a reason to buy another gun, go for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My pocket gun is a Colt Mustang XSP. Absolutely love it. I just got a pocket holster from Alabama Holsters and it is a nice little package. Before that I was using a Desantis Nemesis.

My only complaint was the sights so I sent it to Novak and had them put on a front night sight and a plain black lo mount rear.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt Mustang and it has been a great gun. The 238 has a few extras I wish Colt would have added.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JMag
posted Hide Post
I pondered/handled them all, and bought the Kimber Micro CDP.

JMag
"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ? Winston Churchill

Posts: 798 | Location: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: March 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have and carry an older Colt Government .380

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I would go with the 238 or 938. I have shot both, and own the 938, and they are fantastic guns....

This. I own both. Pocket carry either. I am not afraid to carry the .380 ACP XTP or the 9mm HST.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am certainly not the outhouse lawyer here, but – I think it would help keep both of you out of trouble if he were to check a bag and bring his pistol with him. I think GCA 68 authorizes temporary loans of hunting firearms with the specification that they be used for “sporting purposes”.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Since he is familiar with the 938, I think the simple solution is to provide a 238.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe too big for pocket carry, but Brownings mini 1911 .380 fills the bill.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My summer carry is a Colt Mustang XSP which shoots great.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG P238. The HD is the most comfortable to shoot (agree with .38supersig on that), but for carry I'd go with any of the alloy-framed ones. Lighter with recoil that is completely manageable for all but the most recoil shy.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Wouldn't it be cheaper for him to check a bag with his P938 in it??? $25 each way...

But if you're just looking for a reason to buy another gun, go for it.

He comes from a very anti gun state where checking a gun at the airport often results in massive travel delays and hassles. Just easier for him to grab a gun when he arrives. Having a spare pocket gun wouldn’t be disappointing to me either so win win

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Makes sense!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The only one I'm personally familiar with is the 238. My wife has one & it's been totally reliable, though we've only shot about 7-900 rounds through it. I don't reload 380 & I think it's kinda pricey.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
captain127

You are a great friend -

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post