SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which DAO for CC
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which DAO for CC Login/Join 
posted
Though I have and practice with strikers, I would feel more comfort with a greater margin of safety against ADs. There doesn't seem to be much seletion for DAO. I would like a compact or sc with ~12 round capacity. Recomendations please.

Posts: 232 | Registered: April 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, I don't have the same experience level with the various DAO platforms that I do with DA/ SA, but I would suggest that a SIG DAK, in whichever platform meets your needs best (P224, P229, P239??) at least be in contention for consideration. Or perhaps the P250 in a suitable grip frame shell.

If you don't require a compact or subcompact then your options increase into the larger models.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I have both 229 and 224 SAS DAK pistols for carry and home defense. Both have been solid reliable pistols for me! There are usually police trade ins available at very reasonable prices,they are becoming harder to find though.The DAK trigger seems to be an either love it or hate it system. I did not have any problems with learning to use and like it.

Posts: 787 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P30sk V1? I think mags that come with them are 10.. maybe they make extended mags? But very nice guns.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you want a true DAO where the hammer starts at rest and the trigger pull fully cycles the hammer. There are very few of these guns available.

If you are ok with 380 look at the S&W M&P Bodyguard, the Remington 380, and the Taurus Spectrum.

In 9mm all I can think of would be a used Sig 250, or a new Kel-tec P-11 or the SCCY. The Kahr calls itself DAO but is really partially cocked like most strikers.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Your answer is a 6 shot revolver with 2 moon clips. What you ask for doesn’t really exist anymore.

In all seriousness a DA/SA will serve you well. The first shot is heaven DA which lessens the chance of an ND. You would have a ton more options to choose from.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. What would be some DA/SA options? Why no like for DAO?

posted Hide Post
S&W 6946, 9mm, 12 rounds. hammer, DAO.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784516002

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rjksx1:

It’s not so much that they aren’t liked (which they aren’t) it’s that no one makes guns in true DAO anymore. Generally they are disliked cause he trigger sucks. Harder to be accurate at longer distances. Since manufactures have gone away from them you would have to be searching for a used gun. To mind DA/SA subcompacts that would work for you and your criteria are:

CZ Rami
Sig 224
HK P2000SK
Hk P30Sk
Walther P99 AS compact
Springfield XDE ( although capacity would be less)

More options if you go with a single stack like 239, 225a1, Smith 3913

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DAO is disappearing because shooters dislike heavy trigger pulls. The heavier the trigger the harder it is to be accurate. Most people will shoot a pre-cocked Glock with a 5 pound pull much better than a DA gun with a 10 pound pull. Liking the gun they shoot accurately seems natural. Of course they could practice more and become proficient with the DAO. Also people are now accustomed to the pre-cocked guns with no manual safety and your reasonable concern about a ND is not considered cool.

quote:
Originally posted by rjksx1:

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 5946
Glock 19
HK 30LEM

Posts: 365 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My S&W 4053 is DAO. The trigger is like a really good DA revolver trigger. The very first shot I fired out of it punched the exact center of the target from 10 yards. For concealed carry that's certainly good enough.
Most DAO triggers are atrocious, but a S&W auto with a DAO can be really nice.
I no longer have a 1086, but it was the same - smoooth.
That being said... mostly I carry a Walther PPS M1 because it's smaller and lighter. But if you want hammer fired DAO the S&W are my favorite.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I would think whatever firearm you can shoot well in DA. I like the Sig P250 in 9mm, the trigger is stout but not overly similar to a S&W Mod 36. I find that I can shoot a decent combat group rapid fire either at the wait or two hand aiming. But with that said my P228 is the one I carry and DA first shot is not to shabby (you don't to be the threat). Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Some folks like the SIG 290RS; I think that the trigger breaks too deep. And some of the early 290s did have issues with reliability. But it's small, CC-friendly, has decent firepower and is a true DAO pistol.

Technically Glocks, S&W M&P and several other striker designs are classified as DAO as well because the striker isn't fully cocked when the gun is in battery. But I'm thinking that those types aren't what you're really after.

Kahr makes a bunch of guns that have DAO characteristics; they are often quite small and very CC-friendly as well.

Ruger's LC family of guns have lengthy trigger pulls; for those ones that are not true DAO they still exhibit the same sort of trigger pull that mimics DAO, with resets that do the same as well.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I like Kahr as well... They have a number of models with a wide price range.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you haven't shot a Kahr, they are pretty nice. They are not DAK nice, but pretty close second. I carried a CW9 for years, and it shot like a full size gun. I could hit a man sized target at 75 yards pretty easy with itSmile

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P250 or any DAK model that suits you. Then learn the trigger. Those that say DAO is terrible have evidently never watched Jerry Miculek.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P250 has an excellent DAO trigger and would seem to me to be exactly what you're looking for, with the caveat that they're no longer available new. The trigger pull is long but light as double action pulls go, and exceptionally smooth. I've shot my p250 subcompact 9mm in a couple of steel matches and did not feel handicapped by the trigger.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do like the P250. It's conceilable, reliable and accurate. However, I often wonder if I would gain by replacing with DA/SA or striker. I've got the "I need another gun itch". would a LEM or a DAK be a better platform to learn?

posted Hide Post
I totally understand the itch. Not too long after I picked up the P250 I decided to try a P30SK with the LEM trigger that I found good deal on. Very similar dimensions to the P250SC, very different trigger feel. The LEM trigger feels and functions like a single action trigger with a very long first stage takeup. The reset point is near the end of the takeup, so unlike the P250, where you have to reset all the way and have the long pull for every shot, you just take up the slack for the first shot and then have a short, single action feeling trigger for subsequent shots. I'm used to and prefer two stage military-type triggers on rifles, having done a lot of shooting with old military Mausers and such, and really liked the LEM in concept. In practice, I actually shoot better at speed with the P250, but this may be at least in part because I cut my teeth on DA revolvers and the P250 trigger is very similar. I'm sure if I dedicated more time to learning the LEM trigger I'd do better with it, but the P250 just feels more natural to me and I would trust my life to it in a stressful situation while the P30 remains more of a novelty to me.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post