SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who do we like for 'budget' priced Commanders?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for 'budget' priced Commanders? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This one works for me. Ruger SR1911 CMD without the billboards.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
See, THAT is the kinda thing that has me wanting a 1911. But honestly, I'd be scared to death to take a belt sander to the slide. LOL As I recall from the 1911 pics thread, you did that yourself, correct? What would you charge me if I sent you a slide? LOL

Also, what sights are those? I have Ameriglo 'I-Dot' on my G19, and I really love the dayglo orange, but they don't have anything for 1911s that I can find.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The Members here got me very interested in DW 1911 pistols. All about the quality of the parts.

I would love a DW, but that kind of coin is beyond my reach. LOL Plus, I'd never carry one for fear of scratching it.

Look for a used one and the scratches just add character.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
For a really budget priced 1911 Commander, although with a steel frame, ATI offers their FX series, but only in 45 acp.

I owned one and it was very reliable, and true to the Colt pattern Commander.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
See, THAT is the kinda thing that has me wanting a 1911. But honestly, I'd be scared to death to take a belt sander to the slide. LOL As I recall from the 1911 pics thread, you did that yourself, correct? What would you charge me if I sent you a slide? LOL

Also, what sights are those? I have Ameriglo 'I-Dot' on my G19, and I really love the dayglo orange, but they don't have anything for 1911s that I can find.

Yes I did it myself. You don't need a belt sander just some elbow grease. Go get some 120, 180, 200, 320, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. Get a flat surface, I like glass table tops. Put a large piece of thick paper down so you don't scratch the glass then place the sandpaper down on that. Then start running your slide longways as straight as possible using even pressure. Use the roughest paper until the majority of the etching is gone. Then just work your way down the grits. The 600 will give you that nice satin finish. If you want it more polished then use the 600 wet or you can go to finer grits. Easy peasy and you won't damage anything by using power tools.

Sights are factory Ruger's with bright fluorescent nail polish on the white dot. Works really well.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
For the budget minded, Rock Island.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
What about the Smith & Wesson E series 1911s? I was perusing a certain online retailer and found a full-size for less than the Ruger. $700 to my door.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about the Smith & Wesson E series 1911s? I was perusing a certain online retailer and found a full-size for less than the Ruger. $700 to my door.

Wait a sec...didn't you start this thread thinking about Commanders? Wink

The E-series guns are solid guns. I own one of the E round butt Commanders and it's been a reliable and accurate shooter. A bit more stout on recoil (its frame is Scandium, after all), but a keeper nonetheless.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but I failed to account for drift. Big Grin SQUIRREL!!!!

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, but I failed to account for drift. Big Grin SQUIRREL!!!!

1911s are like bacon, potato chips, honey roasted peanuts. You can't stop with one.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Instigator. Enabler. I shun thee. Big Grin

I've got my eye on a LW Commander and a 'regular' Commander on Gunbroker. We'll see what happens.

Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
This one works for me. Ruger SR1911 CMD without the billboards.

I like those VZ Grips.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The Members here got me very interested in DW 1911 pistols. All about the quality of the parts.

I would love a DW, but that kind of coin is beyond my reach. LOL Plus, I'd never carry one for fear of scratching it.

I meant to mention this earlier. I agree, DWs are above the $1K mark new; however, I purchased a nearly-new DW CCO model from our own Classifieds recently for just under that price-level. It can happen. Smile

Happy hunting and be sure to keep us posted on what you find!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
quote:

Yes I did it myself. You don't need a belt sander just some elbow grease. Go get some 120, 180, 200, 320, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. Get a flat surface, I like glass table tops. Put a large piece of thick paper down so you don't scratch the glass then place the sandpaper down on that. Then start running your slide longways as straight as possible using even pressure. Use the roughest paper until the majority of the etching is gone. Then just work your way down the grits. The 600 will give you that nice satin finish. If you want it more polished then use the 600 wet or you can go to finer grits. Easy peasy and you won't damage anything by using power tools.

Sights are factory Ruger's with bright fluorescent nail polish on the white dot. Works really well.

That's w great tutorial, and good looking 1911 Wink

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bought one of the Colt, 9mm, Competition full sized guns the other day. Novak adjustable rear, fiber optic frt sight. G-10 stocks, long trigger, Commander style hammer, lowered ejection port, extended safety, NO rail.

Paid a few buck under $900 OTD.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I'm going to by a colt LW commander and send it to wilson combat.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That would be pretty cool, but I'm kinda doubting I could to that in my budget. Smile

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
you could look far and wide and not find a better choice than the Ruger.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR1911 would be my choice as well in a sub $750 budget.

My own budget priced commander was a verrry lightly used pre-owned Colt. Love it.

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Instigator. Enabler. I shun thee. Big Grin

I've got my eye on a LW Commander and a 'regular' Commander on Gunbroker. We'll see what happens.

You could post up a WTB in the Classifieds too.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post