SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who do we like for 'budget' priced Commanders?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for 'budget' priced Commanders? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
The 1911 bug is biting me hard. Who does the Hive Mind like for a Commander-sized 1911 that'll be used for CC? I'm looking mainly at the Ruger offerings, but I'm open for suggestions.

Oh, and I'm wanting to keep it under $1K.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger SR1911C. Great gun, price point & series 70 safety system...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander - they're an excellent example of the breed.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
The 1911 bug is biting me hard. Who does the Hive Mind like for a Commander-sized 1911 that'll be used for CC? I'm looking mainly at the Ruger offerings, but I'm open for suggestions.

Oh, and I'm wanting to keep it under $1K.

Ruger 1911's are a fine choice, Springfield also has a couple of offerings in your indicated price range that you might take a look at.

Posts: 39 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Members here got me very interested in DW 1911 pistols. All about the quality of the parts.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Ruger or RIA if you want cheaper.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
The Members here got me very interested in DW 1911 pistols. All about the quality of the parts.

I would love a DW, but that kind of coin is beyond my reach. LOL Plus, I'd never carry one for fear of scratching it.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt?

Sigs
S&Ws
Walthers
H&Ks
and a few others

Posts: 399 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to recommend the Sig 1911. I just got a 1911CO-45-NI, and it is one fine handgun. Commander slide with an Officer's grip (that might not be your exact preference). Fits my med-small hands perfectly...As does the SA RO Compact...Take a look at the Sigs, mine was (slightly used) $700.00. Two types of slides to be aware of: Traditional and non-Traditional, important when searching for holsters.

Posts: 66 | Location: Boca Raton FL | Registered: April 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a 1911 guru by any means, but I enjoy my Remington R1 enhanced and for around 650-700 it's a great value in my opinion

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have only 1 lightweight commander-sized 1911 - the Ruger version. I've had nothing but positive experiences with this gun (est.700 rounds now) and would certainly trust it for a carry piece - especially in the the below 1K price range you describe.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Guy asked for "budget" options, and people are really suggesting DW, SIG, and Colt?

Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I own 5 DW's, but I think that Ruger is hard to beat at the entry level price point.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have handled several of the Freedom series pistols from Fusion Firearms.
The Combat and the CCO are in line for my next purchase.They are excellent handling, fit, and finish. They are local to me and all the shops that carry them have them sub 800. A whole lot of gun for the money!

Posts: 32 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: April 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR1911C in 9mm. Love it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
It's funny you mention the 9mm version. I really REALLY try to be practical when it comes to firearms. I already have what I think is the perfect CC pistol, a G19. But the heart is screaming at the brain "What is wrong with you!?!? You need a 1911!!!" The brain is like "Well, I don't really, but hey, here's one in 9mm. I wouldn't have to start getting another caliber of ammo....."

Which is when the heart interrupts "Are you f'n kidding me!?!? A 9mm 1911!?!? What sort of sissy are you???? FORTY FIVE AY SEE PEE, NANCY BOY!!!!"

See, this is the kind of thing that happens when you live alone with cats. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Guy asked for "budget" options, and people are really suggesting DW, SIG, and Colt?

Roll Eyes

He also said his budget was $1K. You can buy a new Colt or Sig for that any day of the week, and I have seen DW's within that range if you are willing to go used. You just have to look a little harder and be patient.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Ruger SR1911.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others that the Ruger SR1911 is a great buy.

If you are looking for a carry piece, the Colt Defender can be had for between $750 and $950 and has an excellent reputation for reliability.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Another for Ruger. I have two. Very reliable.
You'll have money left over for a holster and some ammo.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post