SIGforum
Update on P320 17 round mags and X5

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4840028264

November 05, 2019, 06:12 AM
leonidas211
Update on P320 17 round mags and X5
I posted a few weeks ago about the 17 round mags not seating in the 320x5. This is after I replaced the floor plates with the updated ones. Still no joy.

I bought a few of the hard use floor plates from Gray Guns and of course the mags pop right in and out.

So there you have it.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
November 05, 2019, 07:01 AM
sigfreund
Good information to know. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 05, 2019, 08:07 AM
DirectDrive
I had the same problem.
Bought X5 Legion base plates to fix.
About the same price as GG.

The budget-minded could sand down the edges of the standard base plate.
November 05, 2019, 08:19 AM
leonidas211
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
I had the same problem.
Bought X5 Legion base plates to fix.
About the same price as GG.

The budget-minded could sand down the edges of the standard base plate.

So thats the reason for the post. I do not think that would work. I specifically bought the newer base plates, that have the thinner sides.

I do not think any amount of sanding, cutting, etc.. would change that.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
November 05, 2019, 09:27 AM
DirectDrive
On my X5 grip module I can see where the interference is with the standard base plates.
It is not much.
I'd wager that someone already has done it, as almost $20 for a baseplate is a bit much.
November 05, 2019, 10:05 AM
leonidas211
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
On my X5 grip module I can see where the interference is with the standard base plates.
It is not much.
I'd wager that someone already has done it, as almost $20 for a baseplate is a bit much.

Yea. The cost of these things is ridiculous. I bought the BG ones because I love bruce and they are of high quality. But the damn 17 rounders should have just gone in with the standard base plates....

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
November 05, 2019, 02:15 PM
2Adefender
All you have to do is clip the plastic “ears” off the old base plates with wire cutters or a blade, and the mags slip right into an X Five grip frame. It took about five minutes to modify my 17-rd mags. Easy peasy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.
November 05, 2019, 04:22 PM
2Adefender
Before and after.

November 05, 2019, 04:26 PM
sns3guppy
I believe his problem before was with inserting the magazines into the x-frame with the mag well attached.
November 05, 2019, 04:34 PM
leonidas211
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I believe his problem before was with inserting the magazines into the x-frame with the mag well attached.

To be specific. I was trying to insert magazines. With the newer floor plates installed AND the Mag well. Which we know, can not be done.

I appreciate 2ADefender posting that pic. I will say that the gray guns base pads are very nice if not pricey. Your solution is clearly cost effective.

-M

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member
November 05, 2019, 08:09 PM
2Adefender
IIRC, when I modified my base plates (maybe a year ago), no one had new ones in stock. So that was my only choice at the time. But it worked just fine.

November 05, 2019, 09:58 PM
sns3guppy
Pretty much all of us who use older mags and the x-frame do the same thing, clip the dog ears off the mags, but that only allows them to be inserted into the x-frame; it doesn't address the mag well.

With the older style dog ears in (round peg in the base plate), the mag cant' be inserted into the frame at all. Remove the dog ears, the mag slides in. That's without the mag well. The dog ears have no ipact with respect to fitment with the mag well, however.