SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Model 19-3, 2 1/2"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 19-3, 2 1/2" Login/Join 
Fear No Beer
Picture of K9346
posted
Gents, I have a quick question on a ballpark value of a Smith Model 19-3 2 1/2" revolver I'm looking at.

The finish is a little worn, I'd rate it around 85%, but the timing and lock up are very nice. It wears the original medallion grips, but would not come with the box or papers that are important to some Smith collectors.

I plan on purchasing the 19 and using it for range and maybe even throw it in my carry rotation so I'm not too concerned with the cosmetic looks, which really aren't that bad.

The guy I'm dealing with said he would sell it to me for $500, and that includes a leather pancake holster, not sure on brand, and 2 speed loaders.

I'm just looking to see if that is a reasonable price for the 19 as described?

It is a P&R model Smith, and I know that adds a little value, but up until now I've really only had experience with J frames for carry and I also currently own a model 10-4 with the bull barrel. Like I said, I'm buying this to use and I'm aware of the issue shooting the lighter .357 mag loads through the 19s and would probably just carry it loaded with .38 +p

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Back in Ok, finally | Registered: September 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Unless you are over rating the condition, it’s worth $500 retail , hard to say without pics
I’d offer $425 and try to get it for $450

That barrel length in 98-99% with a box, will bring a $1000 easily

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a reasonable price , but be aware that this is a big heavy carry gun. You will need a good holster and belt.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Around here it would sell quickly for that price. Odds are that's a much better revolver than most of what S&W produces today that costs half again as much.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Yep, that seems like a fair price.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with the others. That sounds like a fair price if it's in the condition you say. Like mentioned make him an offer,you can always go up.

I have a like M 66 2 1/2" I got from a now late friend probably 35 yrs ago. I haven't shot it much but they are some sweet shooting guns. It's a bit to heavy to carry but the blued version is a little lighter then the Stainless. Good luck.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is a fair price.

And that gun will carry very nice, I carry my 66-3 2.5 quite often. It is a great shooter!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I think that's a fair price. About 10 years ago I found a 2.5" 19-3 with original grips and no box in about 90-95% condition that I paid $375 for. I thought that was a steal.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
^^^^ THIEF ^^^^ Wink

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That would be reasonable to a little cheap in Central Florida.

I'd say that at $475 it's a bargain.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Do it. Dooooooo it.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
great gun. good price.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Per your description, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Very rarely see 2.5" P&R 19s in my area.

If you decide to buy it please post a pic in this thread.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Around here a 90% + no lock Smith Model 19 2 1/2" would not last long in a gun shop in the $550 - $650 range.

At 85% in a 2 1/2" would say $500 would be a fair price. The 19 2 1/2" are just not that common in my area.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
It won't be for sale long at that price.

Buy it now.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Do it. I have one and it's one of my favorites. I paid 650 for a 95% a couple of years ago.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fear No Beer
Picture of K9346
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys.

I have one more question, I know it detracts from the total value but how bad would it affect the worth if I had it refinished?

I really don't have any plans to resale it so I would be doing that for my personal preference, maybe a full matte black.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Back in Ok, finally | Registered: September 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
The finish is a little worn, I'd rate it around 85%,

Honestly I don't think a 19-3 2-1/2 with no box / papers will be rare anytime soon - so at 85%, if it's going to be a shooter and not a standard Smith safe dweller, handled only with white gloves and never used - I'd shoot it to ensure you like it and if you do intend to carry it, maybe refinish it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K9346:
Thanks for all the info guys.

I have one more question, I know it detracts from the total value but how bad would it affect the worth if I had it refinished?

I really don't have any plans to resale it so I would be doing that for my personal preference, maybe a full matte black.

ballpark is 50% reduction for refinish,

reality is 500 is a pretty good price, in this area, refinished would be 3-400, depending,

if you do refinish, and any buffing is involved, have them tread lightly

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post