SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question on Newer Sig Legion P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Newer Sig Legion P229 Login/Join 
posted
I put this on the Armorer section...thought of try here too. Hope that's Ok.

I have a semi complicated question about my newer Sig P229 Legion.

After field stripping and cleaning my Legion, something I do after EVERY training session, and putting it all back together, I noticed when I tilted the gun from right to left or left to right there is this clicking sound. It is kind of faint but DEFFINETLY there. If I shake it side to side it is a little louder. I thought something was loose but couldn’t immediately identify the issue. Also…I do believe the gun has done it since it was new, the pistol has 1535 rounds through it.

Upon examining it further by removing the slide and individually tilting the slide separate from the bottom receiver, and doing the same thing with the bottom receiver, I could not reproduce the sound. I then wiggled the ejector arm and noticed definite play in it. I took out my other P229 Nitron (2 years older) and tested that…no click. Took off the slide and checked the ejector arm on it and it also had a little wiggle…BUT…less than my newer legion.

I then put the slide of my Legion ½ way on and tilted it left and right and could not reproduce the sound. In fact…it didn’t start clicking until I put the slide all the way back on…then every tilt right to left produced this click. And you didn’t have to wiggle it vigorously…just tilting it caused it. I then pulled the slide off just enough so the tip end of the ejector arm was entering the channel…and sure enough…heard the faint click when tilting the Legion side to side. As soon as it was out of the channel…no click when tilting.

I am pretty sure, but not absolute on this, that the Legion extractor arm wiggles just enough that when one tilts the gun sideways it comes in contact with the side of the channel it sits in making that click I am hearing. At least on the Legion. The NItron P229 is just shy of wiggling enough to touch (very little movement)…thus, no click.

I understand that play in that ejector arm is normal and necessary…and that there can be slight differences in manufacturing of parts causing these slight differences. However, these are my questions:

1. Is this an issue that needs attention on my Legion?

2. Is this clicking normal, and therefore, Ok behavior?

3. Will it be something that would ever lead to a failure with this firearm?

4. Anyone else find their Legion P229 does the same thing?

I have had no failures with my Legion, after the 200rnd breakin, and am not seeing any unusual wear in the channel nor on the ejector arm (I don’t think).

I should mention that customer service did try this with a new, unused, Legion P229 and said they got clicking too…but thought it was the trigger. I said mine is not the trigger or the hammer as I held those as I was tilting the gun, each separately, and it made no difference. They must have tried it again and said yes it was something clicking, very faintly, in that area of the slide where the ejector arm and safety lever are at. I don’t think it is the safety lever…I believe it is the ejector arm doing this.

Any help and/or information on this would be much appreciated.

Posts: 18 | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put this on the Armorer section...thought of try here too. Hope that's Ok.

No, double posting is frowned upon because it breaks up the discussion.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post