SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger P345 score!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger P345 score! Login/Join 
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted
Snagged a P345 at my lgs today. Absolutely mint in box with all accessories and 2nd magazine. If it has 50rds through it I'd be surprised. Price $229.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Congrats! They didn't seem to get a lot of respect back in the day but I always wanted one....still do. I have a P90, its predecessor: big, bulky and bullet-proof. Would love to know how the 345 works out for you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elde,

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Great buy! Very accurate.
I picked one up barely used, also.
Mine is still being broken in. I also cleaned under the front sight for good measure.
I'm at about 300 rounds now and it is much improved.
I like it a lot.
Enjoy !

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Very worthy gun, especially at that price! Great find! What's to say - it's a Ruger. Blocky, although not as bad as the older P series, a little loose (not a bad thing for a combat gun), hits what you aim at if you do your part and will work all the time.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MidWesternBoy
posted Hide Post
Great snag! I would have taken it home too.
I lucked in to a LNIB KP94DC for a song last year. It’s very well made and a fantastic shooter.
Now I’ve been on the lookout for a P90DC. Wink

—————————————————-
Rights do not require a need for them to be demonstrated. Otherwise they would be privileges.

Posts: 24 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: December 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Good price on a nice gun. I bought one new in 2004 and still have it, of course I had to clean under the rear sight.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Nice pickup!

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I found the P345 to be very soft shooting.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great deal on a reliable shooter!

quote:
Originally posted by elde:
Congrats! They didn't seem to get a lot of respect back in the day but I always wanted one....still do. I have a P90, its predecessor: big, bulky and bullet-proof. Would love to know how the 345 works out for you.

Actually, I think your P90 was more of the 'grandfather' of the P345. I have the P97, which fits in between- polymer frame and hammer fired.

I thought about a p345 when they came out, but didn't want to get one as the only major advantage over mine was the light rail.

By the way, my Ruger P97 still shoots about as good as my Sig P220 Carry Stainless Elite at the distances I use.

Obviously, I am the limiting factor. Smile

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old P345 was one of the best shooting 45s I ever owned. My wife liked it because it was super easy to rack the slide, and the grip frame and trigger reach was perfect for her. I sold it because it was too cramp in my hand, if you can believe that. They fit women and children very well!! It was my first carry gun, and it was soon replaced with a very much smaller G19.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great score! Congrats!

As I recall, Ayoob carried one of those on duty for several years and could get 2" groups at 25 yards with it.

I've got a soft spot for those Rugers. I was just looking at a rare 2-tone P94 .40 at Summit Gun Brokers tonight. Mark only wants $199 for it. Such good deals on such good shooters.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
Great deal on a reliable shooter!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elde:

"Actually, I think your P90 was more of the 'grandfather' of the P345. I have the P97, which fits in between- polymer frame and hammer fired."

You're absolutely correct bczrx. Should have said P90 preceded P345. Thanks for the correction sir!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice buy. That was one I always wanted and was sad to see it discontinued. You’ve inspired me to bid on one.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and almost sold it......but, I'm really glad I never did. It is one of the softest shooting; most accurate guns I have ever owned.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that had Ruger adopted the frame design of the P-345 for use on the P-95 and P-97 they would have sold a lot more of them. It would have made the polymer P-series guns so much more ergonomically acceptable and aesthetically pleasing.
But what do I know.... Big Grin

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a P345 for sale new or used in a store.
I have owned P95 & P97 models years ago and found them big and ugly, but found them reliable and accurate enough. The P345 isn't visually as "clunky" as the older models.
FYI: I did recall that P345's had a potential problem IF they were dry fired without a magazine inserted. The problem is, it is difficult to determine if a particular P345 has been dry fired prior to you buying it...
Google "P345 click no bang" for more info.
I believe the owners manual will specifically caution about NO dry firing without a magazine installed, but you may want to have your new to you P345 checked for any concealed internal damage which could prevent proper operation during social engagements in case it was dry fired without a magazine before you purchased it. I guess I would start with about 50 vertical yellow pencil tests and see what happened.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I have never seen a P345 for sale new or used in a store.
I have owned P95 & P97 models years ago and found them big and ugly, but found them reliable and accurate enough. The P345 isn't visually as "clunky" as the older models.
FYI: I did recall that P345's had a potential problem IF they were dry fired without a magazine inserted. The problem is, it is difficult to determine if a particular P345 has been dry fired prior to you buying it...
Google "P345 click no bang" for more info.
I believe the owners manual will specifically caution about NO dry firing without a magazine installed, but you may want to have your new to you P345 checked for any concealed internal damage which could prevent proper operation during social engagements in case it was dry fired without a magazine before you purchased it. I guess I would start with about 50 vertical yellow pencil tests and see what happened.

Mine was dry fired in the store, made a trip back to Prescott! When I got it back from Ruger, I cleaned under the rear sight. If I remember correctly, the mags dropped free afterwards too.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
It's been a lot of years...
The issue is some type of peening between the magazine disconnect mechanism and the firing mechanism. The damage occurs when you dry fire without a magazine installed. When it gets peened, the gun won't fire reliably.
Think about how many P345 owners purchased a new pistol that had been fingered by countless tire kickers at their LGS improperly, only to find it was inoperable when actually fired at the range... Likely not good for brand recognition.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips about the dry firing, I wasn't aware.

I did hit the range with it and fired 100rds with zero issues.

For now this will just be a range gun as the only reason I bought it was the attractive price and that it was in absolutely mint condition.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post