Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W rebates Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
Just saw S&W is giving $75 rebates on the Shields. Been eyeing the Performance Center Shield. Anyone else tempted?

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was at LGS.
Counter guy said a person bought a Performance Center Shield, fired two rounds, determined the ports made it too loud.
Traded it back to the store.
We both laughed.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
Blowing them out, M&P Shield 2.0 coming soon. Wink

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I think the Shields are $269 after the rebate and BG's are $229.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I think the Shields are $269 after the rebate and BG's are $229.

You REALLY cannot beat that price on a new gun and everything they come with. Even to keep it for a night stand or truck gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
No. Ive shot a shield. Not tempted. At all. Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Small compact 9mm wuth minimal small compact recoil that does fist size groups at 25ft when you shoot fast. The shield is a damn fine gun already. At that price it kicks ass.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

My complaint was a stiff 7-8 pound pull with 1/4" or more of overtravel. But the pistol felt fine and ran well. Just a bad trigger set up.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't resist buying one, since i also had a 50 dollar Gift card left for a gun store, it was a no brainer. Brand new gun for 200 dollars all told.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
With all the crazy rebates going on, I would probably opt for the XDS for around 359ish, with 4 extra mags, way better trigger, etc.

Springfield has some good deals going as well. Worth a look.

Posts: 567 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Good times for those who just can't make the firepower of a G19 work, I suppose.

Had a back and forth at work as to what makes a "perfect" conceal carry gun. One customer was adamant that the Shield was The One, how it was the best damn CCW at all times, ideal for every carry situation. 4" taller than me, that unbeknownst to him was concealing a G23 at the time, while my coworker--3" shorter than myself--was ccw'ing a G17. Not wanting to be THAT "gun counter guy", I merely nodded and said something like "I'm glad you found something that works great. For you." He missed the nuance.

S&W is looking at one last surge with the existing generation Shields as they ultimately transition over to the new textured frames. Just like Ruger did with the LCP before the II hit the market. Nothing seriously wrong with those older guns. Quibbles over its customary mediocre trigger, oddly shaped (for me) grip, lack of adhesion texture...that's about it. I contend out of the box that it's better and more well-rounded than an unaltered G43, and I like my G43.

Still don't own a Shield, though. Probably never will, least of which one of the original ones. $75 won't fix for me the one thing that all of these polymer single stack wonder 9s can't provide: piece of mind.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If I hadn't bought so many guns lately, I would have gone for one, at that price it's a steal. It's definitely not one of my favorite gun designs, but I don't hate them. I like the looks of the first generation a lot better than the 2nd.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shield: Far too much left to chance. Got rid of our Shield. Made on a Monday and was impossible to rack without inserting a magazine.

So, after time, effort, and money to replace most of the parts (complicated by a need to remove the rear sight to have access) one will end up with an expensive, short barrel 9mm pistol with a fairly good grip and sights.

On the other hand, some have reported buying a Shield made mid-week that was just useable. Better choices exist.

As the old Scott has said, even for free, somethings are too expensive.

And yet again: The M&P 9L Pro CORE with refreshed internal parts and a good red-dot sight is a good shooting and accurate pistol.

All indications are that the 2.0 series is actually a big improvement. Suggest one wait for 2.0 in Shield.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
quote:

My complaint was a stiff 7-8 pound pull with 1/4" or more of overtravel. But the pistol felt fine and ran well. Just a bad trigger set up.

Guess you never handled an S+W sigma.....they came with a 10-12lb trigger pull!!!!

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Yeah Ive shot the Sigma. I consider the m&p series to be "Sigma 2.0". Made as cheaply as possible with lousy triggers.

The only current production gun from the current company posing as s&w that is worse than the m&p and as bad as the Sigma, is that SD9 and SD40. Those POSs have 13 pound triggers.

As a part time instructor Ive had MANY miserable owners of those complaining about the triggers.

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
The Shield 9mm is a good gun. I'm eyeing a .45 with night sights. Now is the time to buy with the rebate.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah Ive shot the Sigma. I consider the m&p series to be "Sigma 2.0". Made as cheaply as possible with lousy triggers.

The only current production gun from the current company posing as s&w that is worse than the m&p and as bad as the Sigma, is that SD9 and SD40. Those POSs have 13 pound triggers.

As a part time instructor Ive had MANY miserable owners of those complaining about the triggers.

They may be made cheaply but they are very durable and reliable. My first gun was a Sigma SW9VE, I put 6500 rounds through that gun, maybe cleaning it every 1000 rounds.....I had 1 failure towards the very end, a stove pipe.....that's it.....that gun would just function and function.....it was very accurate too with a good balance.....I pulled out 1 spring from the trigger (there's a mod with pics floating around on the internet) which made the trigger pull much much lighter.

posted Hide Post
Seriously considering one. Actually thinking it may replace my 938 for deep concealment or those time where I'm wearing a suit. Of those I've shot at the range, they certainly seem like a pretty decent single stack option. Would be my primary but might be a good backup option in the Texas summer. Not a real need but seems like a good price for a solid little gun.

Posts: 178 | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I had a Shield 9 that I carried every day for quite some time. Also, I shot the hell out of it. I personally chose the G43 eventually, but that has more to do with my preference for the Glock trigger system than any fault in the gun itself.

I think to say out-of-hand that it's junk or whatever is short-sighted.

Again, I didn't stick with it, but if Glock never made the 43, I wager I'd still be carrying one today.

Solid choice for personal protection, reliable and accurate for about the same price as taking the family to a baseball game. What's not to like?

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably two million out the door by the time version 2.0 comes out. Somebody must like them.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post