SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 Buy Now or Wait?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Buy Now or Wait? Login/Join 
Picture of Luis A
posted
Want one, but with all the bad press I am a little nervous.

What's your take?

Posts: 286 | Location: So.Florida | Registered: December 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do appear to be hit or miss. Mine, thus far, has exhibited no problems.

I wouldn't carry mine with the intent to use, until substantially more ammunition has been through it. I have an unused and unfired P365 sitting on my shelf that is going to need the same before it gets carried. At this stage, personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it until it's had 3,000 rounds through it, given that the same problems are being reported up to 2,000 rounds. Even then, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable. That said, again, I've had no problems with mine thus far.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested, but waiting.

I shot the P365 for the first time 2 days ago. It was a range rental and the first P365 I had seen in the flesh. I thought it shot very well, but I pretty much expected that from the many positive reports I have read from P365 owners.

But there have been issues with this pistol, some very serious, and a bewildering variety of "rolling changes" made by SIG since its introduction, which was not that long ago. The issues of greatest concern are those that take the pistol out of operation entirely without prior warning. These are dead triggers (resulting from broken or dislodged trigger bar springs) and broken strikers.

These issues and the many rolling changes that SIG has made indicate to me a lack of adequate R&D before the pistol was released, and rather shoddy quality control. It does seem that the critical failures are much less frequently reported with pistols with build dates of June and later, but some of these failures have only occurred after rather high round counts of 900-2000. So in my opinion, it is too soon to judge whether SIG has cleaned up its act regarding this pistol.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I am very interested but I am going to wait a bit and see how all this pans out. My feeling is that Sig has such a hit that they have to make it right. The P365 is incredible in its size and all that it contain.

The question is will they make it right before someone else improves on their design?

Posts: 1348 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
These issues and the many rolling changes that SIG has made indicate to me a lack of adequate R&D before the pistol was released,

the handgun existed in the testing stage two years before the release. You hear everyone commenting on the issues...yet none own one. But "I heard" or "I read" on the internet.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not convinced that Sig hasn't "made it right," insofar as I invested in buying P365's to see for myself and thus far the issues that are reported have not occurred with mine.

I'm not convinced that Sig has "made it right," either, as an open mind requires me to admit that simply because I have not experienced the problems, does not mean that I won't. The highest round count I've seen reported here thus far has been 2,000 rounds, when failures occurred.

I'd heard about the P365, first learned about it on this site, in fact, and when the opportunity came up to handle one, I was very interested. I found one at a range to rent, spent some time with it, and it performed as expected. I wasn't disappointed. I returned the rental, and ordered one. I've purchased several now, and I'm working on the first one, taking it easy with paper at the range, to see how it does. I have experienced no feed, extraction, reliability, trigger, sight, or other issues. It's comfortable and easy to control with any of the three magazine choices. I put it in my pocket for a couple of weeks to see how it felt. It's very compact, easy to carry, small enough that it's unobtrusive, even in slacks, in a DeSantis pocket holster.

At this stage, the only issue is reliability over time, so I'll put in the time and the ammunition and see.

I think the pistol has an outstanding trigger, is very ergonomic, has good grip texture without being too much, and while I'm not enamored with x-ray sights, I can't complain about them on this pistol. they work for what they are, and they're low profile and fairly snag-free.

The only complaint, and it's not really a complaint, is that the pistol is small enough that with the flush 10 round magazine, I can't open my hand enough for the magazine to drop free. It nees to be extracted, because the flesh of my hand impedes it dropping free; the grip and magazine length are that short (and small). I say I can't complain because that's really the point of the pistol. It's small.

Considering it handles 9X19 just fine, a pistol this size, smaller than a j-frame snub nose revolver, with a great trigger decent sights, excellent ergonomics, and a surprising capacity for the size, to me it's quite an innovation. So long as it remains reliable, I'm quite happy with it as it comes from Sig. I won't trust it for a while yet, but I have other options. I'll keep plugging away with it, and it doesn't hurt my feelings much as it doesn't take a lot of excuse to take it to the range.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wait. Why rush to buy something that's completely new, unproven, and has had problems?

Q

Posts: 26323 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luis A
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inputs.

I want one, but, do not want to deal with teh potential issues.

I will wait a bit and see. I have other reliable guns to carry.

Posts: 286 | Location: So.Florida | Registered: December 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
These issues and the many rolling changes that SIG has made indicate to me a lack of adequate R&D before the pistol was released,

the handgun existed in the testing stage two years before the release. You hear everyone commenting on the issues...yet none own one. But "I heard" or "I read" on the internet.

Have you missed the multiple posts and threads on this forum from people who have had failures first hand?

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no question that there are very many P365 owners who have had no issues with their pistols and probably most never will. But it should be clear to anyone who has not been living under a rock that there have been significant numbers of P365 owners who have reported issues, including critical failures.

To dismiss all of these as internet innuendo is truly inane.

There were many owners of Ford Pintos who drove their vehicles collectively millions of miles without having the gas tank explode. But this did not prove that the design of the Pinto was safe. Nor did one have to own a Pinto to realize that there was a problem, let alone have their gas tank explode.

As for how long this pistol was in R&D, it was not long enough, IMO. One of the early issues was severe barrel peening in some pistols which was addressed by a redesign of the recoil spring assembly. Some of the barrel peening became apparent at rather low round counts. How much testing was required to disclose this issue?

If SIG couldn't even get the recoil spring right for this pistol, how much else did they get wrong?

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Buy it now enjoy it now, zero issues with mine. My favorite gun by far.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Definitely the wait camp here - seen too many new models come out from SIG with early teething issues - P290 / P238 / P938 / P224 / P320 / 556R / MPX to name just a few.

Give it a year and it should be 100%, plus demand will be down.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Definitely the wait camp here - seen too many new models come out from SIG with early teething issues - P290 / P238 / P938 / P224 / P320 / 556R / MPX to name just a few.

Give it a year and it should be 100%, plus demand will be down.

Add the P250 to the list.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Wait. Way too much doubt in my mind that I would ever trust it.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

If you will never trust it, what's the point of waiting? Permanently scratch it off the list and move on.

Seriously, the reaction to the problems seems out of proportion to the "risk". It's a relatively inexpensive pistol (not a WC or Ed Brown investment). If it doesn't work, sell it or trade it. You won't lose much.

On the point of "trusting your life to it", let's be realistic. Trusting your life is jumping out of an airplane with a single parachute. This is not. While you buy a bad P365, the chances that you will have an outcome changing failure during an actual gunfight as opposed to on the range are infinitesimally small.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

If you will never trust it, what's the point of waiting? Permanently scratch it off the list and move on.

Actually, when I finally got to shoot a P365 the other day, I was almost hoping that I would not like it because it was too small or the trigger reach too short for my largish hands, or that I would not like the way it shot. Then I could have crossed it off the list and forgotten about it.

But it shoots very nicely and has real potential. I am reasonably confident that SIG will eventually work the bugs out. Maybe they have already done so, but it is too early to tell IMO. If we go another six months to a year and hear of very few additional failures with pistols of recent manufacture I will probably feel comfortable enough to buy it.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Seriously, the reaction to the problems seems out of proportion to the "risk". It's a relatively inexpensive pistol (not a WC or Ed Brown investment). If it doesn't work, sell it or trade it. You won't lose much.

On the point of "trusting your life to it". Let's be realistic. Trusting your life is jumping out of an airplane with a single parachute. This is not. While you buy have a bad P365, the chances that you will have an outcome changing failure during an actual gunfight as opposed to on the range are infinitesimally small.

I'll rephrase. STILL too much doubt in my mind. As in I'm still reading reports of issues and its the same problems over and over. Not to mention Sig comes on here saying the design is perfect as is and doesn't need modification, and 2 weeks later theres a thread on the design changes they've made.

As far as the chances of having an issue, it makes little sense to me to pick it over somethings thats proven and vetted. If the P365's weren't having issues that crop up after more than a 1000 rounds I might consider it.

I don't hate the pistol, I want one. I just refuse to be another beta tester again for Sig.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Since I am waiting on the thumb safety version to be released, I am watching with interest the beta testers making sure I get a great gun. Smile

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

On the point of "trusting your life to it", let's be realistic. Trusting your life is jumping out of an airplane with a single parachute. This is not. While you buy a bad P365, the chances that you will have an outcome changing failure during an actual gunfight as opposed to on the range are infinitesimally small.

Small. But seemingly larger than the chances I have of failure with many other guns. Why take extra risk if it’s not needed? If I’m only taking one chute with me on a jump I’m getting the most proven guy at the parachute factory to pack it for me. There is still risk but less than if I get the rookie Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can be one of the first to own a new model (be it car or gun or whatever). With being an early adopter, you get to enjoy the product before anyone else. If it matters to you, you also get the "cool guy" status of people envying you for having the newest thing out there. The cost to this is the increased likelihood of problems, and likely increased initial cost.

Or you can wait, which usually means a slight decrease in cost and increase in quality (not always). But then you don't get to enjoy the product.

Me, I tend to wait. My car is a 2007 Murano with over 100K miles. I could buy a new one, but they switched manufacturing from Japan to the US a couple years ago and there's likely going to be some bugs to figure out. I carried a '94 P229 for forever until just late last year when I replaced it with a P320 (after the upgrade). I've shot the P365 and even with my big hands, I like it. But I'm going to keep waiting. It might take another year, maybe two, until it seems the bugs are worked out.

You have to make the decision for yourself. What drives me nuts is the early adopters that expect no problems. You can say "I shouldn't have to wait" but that's just being blind to reality. Testing prototypes for two years is one thing. Off-the-line production using mass sourced parts is something else.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post