SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Way To Clean A Revolver Cylinder?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way To Clean A Revolver Cylinder? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Soak the cylinder in a jar of Hoppe's #9 for a few days. Then brush/patch clean. Burn rings on the cylinder face will come off with a lead-removal cloth. Hoppe's will not harm the cylinder.

BE CAREFUL. As we're talking about older revolvers here. Hoppes WILL cause nickel plating to peel off. Do not soak the cylinder in Hoppes if it's nickel plating.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoppes WILL cause nickel plating to peel off.

No worries with a Model 65 - stainless steel.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Hoppes WILL cause nickel plating to peel off.

No worries with a Model 65 - stainless steel.

Nor a model 19 blued. But many 19's are nickel and someone else might read the posting and decide to soak their nickel cylinder in Hoppes and have it peel.......(like I did with my perfect model 19 many years ago).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly agree with MHANNA310! Those leading cloths from Brownells work wonders. They leave stainless things clean and shiny.

Posts: 494 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could use a copper pan scrubber and wrap some of the threads from it around your .38 brush and this will help clean it out without harm to the cylinder. Just be sure that the scubber you use is made with solid copper strands and not steel.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of these for years and they do a great job. Might be more than you want to spend but they are worth the money . At least the old ones I had were.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...mover-prod21587.aspx

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post