SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Way To Clean A Revolver Cylinder?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Way To Clean A Revolver Cylinder? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I found a nice S&W Model 65 in my favorite pawn shop.

It seems that a previous owner fed it a steady diet of .38 SPL and did not clean the cylinder religiously.

I can use .38 SPL in it with no problem, but deposits in the cylinder prevent .357 Magnum rounds from seating all the way.

What's a good cleaner for the "ring around the collar" in the cylinder chambers?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's on a bore brush would be my first try.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Take a brass/bronze bore brush like this ...

... of an appropriate size to fit snugly in the chambers, cut the ring off the end, and chuck it up in a drill motor turned at slow speed. Or take some empty magnum cases and push them into the chambers, the sharp case mouth acting as a reamer/scraper.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure copper chore boy wrapped around a bronze brush, the same set up I use for lead removal.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The worst ring fouling I ever experienced with a revolver was when firing military issued 38 Special ammunition in an S&W model 10. The cartridges were sealed with some sort of tenacious sealant around the bullets that was very difficult to remove; bronze bore brushes hardly touched the stuff.

I discovered, however, that a .44 caliber stainless steel “Tornado” brush worked well if I just scrubbed it back and forth through the chambers. It was also very good with lead residues.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...rushes-prod9791.aspx

What works even better but is more expensive and time consuming to set up and use is the woven brass patches in the Lewis Lead Remover system.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...mover-prod21587.aspx

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've used a bronze brush in a dewalt drill to knock the lead out of a cylinder before.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good Kroil soak prior to scrubbing will ease the burden.

Posts: 482 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Cowboy action shooters I know use these...

https://www.badmanbullets.com/...om/slix-scraper.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tornado brushes loosen things up nicely. I also cut patches out of lead wipes and push them thru the cylinder and bore. I've used bronze screen on a wooden dowel too, but I don't like the hammering it requires. Lead wipes are the easiest.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The Lewis Lead Remover is very good.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...mover-prod21587.aspx

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A .40 Tornado brush works well in a .38 cylinder. There are chamber brushes oversize and stiff for the job.

A few days in a pickle jar full of solvent make the scrubbing easier.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with mars attacks if its real bad.

Posts: 207 | Location: Baconton,GA. | Registered: April 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the .40 Tornado brush as well.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Soak the cylinder in a jar of Hoppe's #9 for a few days. Then brush/patch clean. Burn rings on the cylinder face will come off with a lead-removal cloth. Hoppe's will not harm the cylinder.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Soak the cylinder in a jar of Hoppe's #9 for a few days. Then brush/patch clean. Burn rings on the cylinder face will come off with a lead-removal cloth. Hoppe's will not harm the cylinder.

This!

As an engineer who is also lazy, I am astounded by the number of people who don't know this trick. Even just running a wet patch through and letting it sit overnight is often enough. Let the solvent (be sure to use something safe for the gun finish, as well as a container which the solvent won't attack if you use that method) do the work. Hoppe's #9 is great for this.

Posts: 327 | Location: Frankfort, Kentucky.  | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Don't... that build up closes the cylinder gap, makes for a tighter tolerance gun. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
A good Kroil soak prior to scrubbing will ease the burden.

I agree with this. It will likely work remarkably fast, too.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taken a spent .357 case and pushed into the cylinder, cleans out the ring quite well. I have never done, but heard of others doing, that before doing this you can take an old knife and run it around the inside and give the empty case a kind of sharp edge before inserting.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can run it through the case mouth expander and flare it until it JUST starts in the chambers, too.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey, everyone has some really good suggestions for you...If you want the cylinder and cylinder face to be very clean, you need to go to brownells and order a leading cloth..This will remove the built up black carbon on the face of the cylinder and inside of the cylinder itself...I have been using leading cloths for over 25 years and they will do what you are asking...

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post