SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So when Bill Ruger Passed The Company Really Changed Gears. Do You Think The Same Will Happen With Glock?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So when Bill Ruger Passed The Company Really Changed Gears. Do You Think The Same Will Happen With Glock? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So Glock makes a fantastic product, love it or hate it. They also make a product that much like the Jeep or Mustang is hard to update without losing the magic. That being said Glocks have remained pretty stagnant.

Do you think when Gaston passes that we will see the company make more radical changes? Will they make more radical ergo changes that many want. Will they make that pistol caliber carbine that everybody says they want but will not buy. Razz.

Just musing that Gaston isn’t getting any younger and while Glock continues to have a hell of a product I wonder if it’s time to take risk. Maybe a new line while keeping the old classic line.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's 88. How active is he in running the company nowadays?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
From what I have read ole’ Gaston is still a force of nature.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Why? No one is going to make a pistol that appeals to everyone. I have to say I was impressed shooting the Gen 5 Glocks. Glock is the only company now that is making poly SF pistols that you can get in your choice of finger grip grooves or no finger grip grooves for compact and full size pistols.

Glock is the only major SF pistol manufacturer that did not have to offer major rebates in 2017.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Glock is the only company now that is making poly SF pistols that you can get in your choice of finger grip grooves or no finger grip grooves for compact and full size pistols.

Well no compact yet, but Beretta has both finger groove and non finger groove frames with interchangeable backstraps for the APX listed (although non are out of stock right now).

http://www.berettausa.com/en-u...-backstraps-for-apx/

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, Gaston has pretty much moved away from the day-to-day goings on of the company for a good part of the past decade. And then there's been that contentious lawsuit between his kids, his ex and the rest. Tawdry stuff. Besides, he has his show horses, charities and his much younger second wife to keep him occupied these days.

OTOH, who would've thunk that Glock would do a rotating lug pistol?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glock is the only company now that is making poly SF pistols

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck in a "SF pistol".

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Glock is the only company now that is making poly SF pistols

Pardon my ignorance but what the heck in a "SF pistol".

Slim frame.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I assume striker fired.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I assume striker fired.

That wouldn't make sense. There are plenty of companies that are making striker fired pistols, not just Glock.

I vote "Super Fantastik"... Big Grin

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think when Gaston passes that we will see the company make more radical changes?

Unlike Ruger when the old man was in charge, they already offer, and have for many years, small concealable handguns and magazines over 10 rounds. So whatever changes, if any, happen wouldn't be all that radical. Razz

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. Look to the history of Glock: refinement, many models, rare significant departures and customer oriented. Same playbook as Harley-Davidson and not too far from the playbook of Ruger. Like Harley the consistency of the Glock product promotes mass adoption which is fostered by a thriving after market. Smart marketing doesn't hurt either. IMHO Glock benefited from right time/right place: as many police departments migrated from revolvers, Glock offered a manual of arms that allowed easy transition to Semi Automatics. Creating the Armorer course contributed to the adoption. For the record, I believe Glock's approach to Law Enforcement was pretty smart.
Like Harley, Glocks are a love/hate thing. I happen to like Glock and admire the design. In short, the next generation Glock leadership will have their own approach, if it was me I would follow a refined Harley Davidson playbook.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glock is the only major SF pistol manufacturer that did not have to offer major rebates in 2017.

This and the reason for this is what people need to remember. I was at the factory in 2014, and was talking to one of the executives in the LE division. I made the comment half heartedly joking about the Glock PCC coming out. He looked at me and laughed. He said something to the effect that they are currently 1 million pistols behind, what good is it to be 2 million pistols behind.
And he has got a point. Their stuff is in great demand. They can sell every pistol they turn off months before it is made. Why expand the product line?

Ruger is/was a shitshow.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I don't consider myself to be in "fanboi" status, BUT, my G17 gen5 is rapidly becoming my favorite pistol, ever.

I'm still buying an APX though...but that grip om the 17.5.....it's heavenly.

posted Hide Post
The only thing I think would improve the way I shoot/handle a Glock, is if they would just make the tang a little bit longer for those with big mitts. They change a few things here and there but they still don't do anything about the slide bite issue many people have. My 43 fits me perfectly and the tang is a bit longer and makes a big difference. How hard would it be for them to do this, being that they changed the molds to begin with?

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the Ruger Company cave in to the gun grabbers a few years ago? Or am I confusing them with S&W and the snubby locks?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I assume striker fired.

Correct. Sorry I caused confusion for some.

I hope Beretta does come out with a compact APX. I bet they would make it truly Glock 19 size.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Did the Ruger Company cave in to the gun grabbers a few years ago? Or am I confusing them with S&W and the snubby locks?

Bill Ruger, before he died, advocated 10-round magazine limits. Maybe a moment of weakness on his part, but it turned off a lot of us. I still don't own a Ruger.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I thought Bill was looking for a 15 round limit?

Anyway, to me Ruger has redemmed itself. They sell standard capacity magazines, make evil black rifles, and even offer us civvies flashiders on the mini.

Bill may have effed up, but Ruger has passed that and is selling whatever is legal with no strings attached.

More than I can say for S&W.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
What will happen to Glock when Gaston passes is something I have actually wondered about. The truth is, even if they keep doing the same thing they're doing right for the next ten years, they'll be just fine.

I don't think they need to do anything differently. Sure, there's variants some of us would love to have that don't quite exist, but what does exist is still in high demand.

Glock hit a price point far below the reliability level of the product they offer and that has persisted for decades.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post