SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a medium size .380
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a medium size .380 Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I don't want a subcompact like a G42, that's a little too small for my wife. (Which kills me because I'm a Glock fanboy and would like an excuse to add another to the collection.)

So a little bigger than that, something that won't easily slide bite or hammer bite. It won't be concealed or carried so that's not a big concern, just needs to be big enough to get a good solid grip without being too heavy.

She can shoot my 9mms OK, but I think a .380 in a decent size would be nice and soft and allow her to shoot more, and have a gun that's "hers"

She has no problem with me owning them, and encourages me to carry at all times, but she doesn't want to carry herself. I think something tame that she can call her own will ease her into being more comfortable shooting and protecting herself

Recommendations from the forum?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
How about the very new S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ? There are a few reviews on YouTube and it gets favorable marks for ease of use.

It is available with and without the safety.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...-manual-thumb-safety

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A Colt Government 380 would be excellent – if you can find one. Locked breech design, so nice soft recoil.

I wish SIG would make a P238 with a 3-1/4” barrel.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the G42 is too small, then consider a Beretta Cheetah;they come in single stack and double stack. The 84fs is my favorite. Then look at the Walther P380. Others might give you slide-bite or hammer bite but are excellent choices, such as the Sig P230/232 or the Walther Pp/ppks.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blowback 380s do not have soft recoil; they feel much like a 9mm. Look for a locked breech design, which does reduce felt recoil.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bersa Thunder .380?

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc....earms/thunder-series

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sig P250 .380 Compact?

Discontinued, but still available on the secondary market.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
Blowback 380s do not have soft recoil; they feel much like a 9mm. Look for a locked breech design, which does reduce felt recoil.

That's a fact. My PPK and Sig P230 are both pretty unpleasant to shoot compared to my G42 or even my LCP.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
It may be sacrilegious to mention Remington, but I've seen favorable reviews of the RM380 (design bought from rohrbaugh). The Bersa is a decent pistol. Otherwise I would recommend the lcp-night and day compared to my NAA guardian (snappy as heck). Always carry..never tell.

Rm380 a la hickok45
https://youtu.be/8U4Cu_SJTBo

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Beretta 86 Cheetah? They're still around in the market.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been a fan of the SIG P230/232.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Beretta 86 Cheetah? They're still around in the market.

The 86 solves the hard-to-rack problem of the 84/85, but it's still a bit snappy. I'm surprised she finds the G42 too large. There isn't much in a larger .380 until you get to 1911 platforms.

The Browning 1911 .380 is a possibility if she's OK with SAO. I personally don't like the idea of a 1911 with a polymer frame, but that's just my curmudgeonly prejudice.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just picked up the Smith Shield EZ .380 this morning. I got one with a manual thumb safety.I handled a couple in the local shops over the last couple weeks and finally thought i would give one a try just as kind of a plinker, light defense piece if i needed something with a manual safety. I put 100 rounds thru it and it functioned perfect. Very comfortable to shoot, accurate and light. Fits the hand like a glove.
My wife has had her permit for several years but never owned a pistol. I doubt she would ever carry, but does shoot with me on occasion. Next time we go, i will have her shoot this one and if she ever decides to own a pistol some day this would be a real good choice.
Not sure if its "medium" but its certainly not small. It is very light.
I think it would be a great choice for a medium size .380 and really should be a hit for the market for which it was designed.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longjohn:
just picked up the Smith Shield EZ .380 this morning. I got one with a manual thumb safety.

If I may ask, how much is the retail price on those?

I see MSRP is $399.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
I have always been a fan of the SIG P230/232.

Same here. Love the P232 with Hogues.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I find that the blowback design of the P232 makes it a hard recoiling little .380.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought the wife a M&P EZ 380 acp. All the LGS's had the same price $379.00.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of testfire
posted Hide Post
Browning 1911 ish in .380

http://www.browning.com/produc...istols/1911-380.html

Haven't officially tried one yet, but they look interesting.

Posts: 386 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: May 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
How do you like it AVG?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Is that a grip safety AVG?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post