SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a medium size .380
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a medium size .380 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Browning 1911-380 is a soft-shooting, accurate gun. A little expensive. Single action auto, so if "cocked and locked" is a problem, that would count this one out.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally hate to comment on a gun before I shoot it, but the OP's timing may be short. I think the new S&W Shield .380 EZ is going to replace the small revolver as the sock drawer gun for the occasional shooter. I bought the version without the thumb safety. The grip safety is easy to depress, and it is unique in that it, rather than the trigger mechanism, deactivates the firing pin block. I believe that this feature, along with a thumb break holster that covers the trigger area and has a strap that goes over the top of the rear of the slide, will make this a very safe gun to have around around the house or, although I absolutely hate the idea, bury in a purse. It has a barrel that is longer than most of the micro .380s, so it should be able to get the most out of the newer ammo offerings.

I had a Sig P238 that shot like a .22 LR and allowed for fast follow-up shots. I anticipate that the Shield .380 will be the same. (Jerry Miculek has a video out doing just that with the EZ, but he can run anything fast.) I have a variety of ammo and my chrono ready to go, but I am waiting for my test subject to shoot it first. Then, I am going to wring it out, including with Buffalo Bore standard pressure and Lehighs.

I don't like beta testing guns any more, but this seemed like it was worth a shot for $369 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I snagged the first one in my store before it hit the shelves, and they sold out fast.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheyenne:The grip safety is easy to depress, and it is unique in that it, rather than the trigger mechanism, deactivates the firing pin block.

In the 1911 world, what you are describing is known as the Swartz Safety. Originally used by Colt in the pre-WWII era, it was reintroduced by Kimber and S&W for some of their 1911s.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a Colt Mustang pocket lite, and she loves it

Posts: 15 | Registered: October 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man you guys are talking about a mid size .380...Have we all forgotten about the Beretta 84, 85 series gun..They are great reliable guns and have an awesome look to boot....

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After watching a small-hand, Instructor shooting the new M&P 380 EZ, I too am convinced that it is an ideal starter pistol that will be kept in service even after graduating to something with more boom. The recoil was small. Sights are excellent with a good sight distance due to 3.625" barrel. Trigger - after a score or two of rounds - is OK. Mags are more easy to load than most. Easy to take about and re-assemble - no need to pull trigger even. Expect a lot of them to be sold.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Browning 1911-380 is a soft-shooting, accurate gun. A little expensive. Single action auto, so if "cocked and locked" is a problem, that would count this one out.

That sounds like a nice option that I didn’t know of. The .380 cartridge is a scaled-down .45 ACP cartridge, so it’ll probably work well in a scaled-down 1911.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcallre
posted Hide Post
I like my steel frame CZ83. For a blow-back operated pistol it's soft shooting. Less recoil than the alloy framed Beretta and the 9mm Mak CZ82. 12+1 capacity. The only down side is the hammer must be manually lowered for DA. While I don't believe they're currently being produced there is plenty around on the used market and CZ USA still supports the platform.

Posts: 119 | Registered: July 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I picked up a used P250 compact in .380 at the LGS with two 15 round mags for $200, it's a soft shooter, easy to carry, and plenty of ammo.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bersa Thunder .380?

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc....earms/thunder-series

Seconded. Probably one of the best values in a .380. A little more recoil due to the blowback design. It fills my Beretta/ppk role at a much cheaper price tag. $22 mags from gregcote. Very comfortable in the hand.

Nice DA trigger, and frankly less felt recoil than my prettier, bitchier SIG P232SL. My Thud is definitely PPK on the cheap, yet plays far friendlier with my palm.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Since she isn't carying it the only real size issue is in her hand. Many of the guns offered are a little smaller and might give her a little more recoil. I think the Cheetah is a great option. While a blowback, it is a little bigger and should absorb more recoil.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Browning 380 comes to mind. It fires from a locked breech, which along with its size will make it considerably softer shooting. Avoid blowback designs.

Posts: 129 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife just bought the new S&W 380 EZ and it's everything it's every thing it's touted to be and then some. Rack it with a fore finger and thumb!
She bought the one without the manual safety. Their going to sell a LOT of these.
Using Underwood 380+P Xtreme Defense ammo that uses that Lehigh solid copper fluted bullet__the 380 has become a serious SD pistol.
Check out both.
Stay safe.
Poli Viejo
P.S.
My nephew's wife just got her's and thrilled. S&W has developed a high quality pistol designed for women shooters. Even the ergonomics fits a woman's hand.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
She can shoot my 9mms OK, but I think a .380 in a decent size would be nice and soft and allow her to shoot more, and have a gun that's "hers"

You already have your answer. She can shoot your 9mm's ok. Ask her to pick out a 9mm that fits her hand well rather than deciding for her that she should have a .380

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
I just bought the wife a M&P EZ 380 acp. All the LGS's had the same price $379.00.

I picked one up last Friday for $379.00 as well.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:
She can shoot my 9mms OK, but I think a .380 in a decent size would be nice and soft and allow her to shoot more, and have a gun that's "hers"

You already have your answer. She can shoot your 9mm's ok. Ask her to pick out a 9mm that fits her hand well rather than deciding for her that she should have a .380

She can shoot them "OK" but she has a hard time racking a slide, loading a mag, and still finds a lot of them too heavy or too large. I need something she will shoot well and want to shoot, not just shoot a few rounds and be done. She liked shooting my .22, but the 9mm is something to be tolerated for a short period and then put down. I think the M&P EZ is the answer, I just need to try and find one at the LGS for her to feel. Even if she can handle my G19 or P225, I have to load it, rack it etc. If this one is hers, she will feel more ownership and comfort with it.

I think I have found the answer, like I said I just need to find one now.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of geebo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bersa Thunder .380?

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc....earms/thunder-series

Just got one of those for the wife and she loves it.

Posts: 32 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: March 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcallre:
I like my steel frame CZ83. For a blow-back operated pistol it's soft shooting. Less recoil than the alloy framed Beretta and the 9mm Mak CZ82. 12+1 capacity. The only down side is the hammer must be manually lowered for DA. While I don't believe they're currently being produced there is plenty around on the used market and CZ USA still supports the platform.

Manually lowering the hammer on a CZ 83/82 is not that big of an issue since the 'auto safety' was designed to catch the hammer.
Place one's thumb between hammer and slide, pull trigger and let hammer fall slightly, roll thumb out of the way.
The auto safety was designed to catch the hammer for this purpose.

The problem is, that series of CZs is not drop safe.
There is no firing pin block and if the pistol is dropped onto the rear, the slide can progress backwards allowing the firing pin to strike the hammer and ignite a round.
The Czech police have documented several instances of this occurring.

It appears carrying the pistol fully cocked with the (hammer blocking) manual safety engaged is the safer alternative for carry.
Use the DA to provide a 2nd strike if required.

Re the OP:
I also would recommend a Bersa Thunder 380.
It was an excellent little pistol that I only got rid of because I started using 9mm for carry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve 22X,

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
I'll third the Bersa 380 recommendation, this gun has been a fantastic performer. If I was looking for midsize though I would also take a close look at the Browning BDA.

Posts: 724 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bersa is a great gun, HOWEVER-it is not particularly easy to rack, take down or fire when your hands hurt. The S&W 380 is. There is a market for a gun of this type that is currently either being filled by .22's or nothing. I'd rather someone be carrying and using an oversized, under powered, limited capacity pistol than nothing or a can of pepper spray.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post