SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking for a medium size .380
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a medium size .380 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife adores 3 pistols for various reasons. The Sig 230 is easy to carry, and also what I favor for tighter fitting clothes. Also the Taurus 709 Slimline in 9mm. Then for everything else she uses a Cz P07 in 9mm with some CGW upgrades. She says that your wife would likely get more use out of the P07. Ymmv.

Posts: 26 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: March 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Yes. The gun has an internal hammer.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 230/232 !

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A Colt Government 380 would be excellent – if you can find one. Locked breech design, so nice soft recoil.

I have one I bought a very long time ago, very nice pistol to shoot.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too paid $379.00. I really like it. I might even get a FIST kydex for it

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A Colt Government 380 would be excellent – if you can find one. Locked breech design, so nice soft recoil.

I had one and hated to get rid of it, in some ways my favorite pistol. There was a metallurgy problem with them where in time, the barrel lugs in the slide would peen over. Traded mine off before it got to that point.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
I have always been a fan of the SIG P230/232.

The SIG 232 is a very nice mid sized .380 and it fits my hand like a glove.

The Beretta Cheetah is another option for a mid sized .380.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Sig P250 .380 Compact?

Discontinued, but still available on the secondary market.

The SIG P250 .380 Compact is a flexible gun. The slide is sub-compact size, which makes it a perfect fit for a sub-compact grip module. The factory "Compact" grip module has the length of the dust cover cut back to fit the shorter slide while still providing 15-round magazine capacity.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
beretta 84.

mid size, can be used cocked and locked, and actually has pretty good capacity (13+1)

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
To the those recommending the P230/P232 I say, NO NO NO

I owned one and while it's a slick little thing, it's got a pretty stout recoil with its blowback action and it WILL slice your hand with slide bite if you aren't careful.

OP: if this isn't going to be carried and the size is not an issue, why not consider the Glock 19?

To me the G19 is the perfect size; not too small yet not too big and shoots very soft for a 9mm

I'd have her try one at a range that rents them and see what you think. The .380 seems to be only chambered in pocket pistols these days with some exceptions like that new S&W.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Is that a grip safety AVG?

Not AVG responding, but it's a grip safety. Handles a lot like the M&P22C, except for that grip safety that to me feels relatively unobtrusive in hand. We've got one in the shop, but so far younger shoppers aren't impressed. Older shoppers seem to like it, but it's still in the display case...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slide bite aside, I enjoy shooting my p230 sl. It is very accurate and soft shooting! Yes, it is a soft shooter; softer than my P226 legion or my CZ 75.
I solve slide bite using a glove on my shooting hand.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Sig p230 with hogue g10 checkered grips.
Beretta 84/85 are also nice choices for mid sized .380

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I do enjoy shooting my Cheetah. It's a cool little pistol with a full sized grip. However the slide is stout and recoil is sharper than a tilting barrel version. That browning 1911 style looks pretty good too. If it is reliable and the SA manual of arms can be mastered, that would be a good option

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AVG:
I just bought the wife a M&P EZ 380 acp. All the LGS's had the same price $379.00.

Just looking at that photo, it appears, the MP EZ doesn't have a hinged trigger.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Just looking at that photo, it appears, the MP EZ doesn't have a hinged trigger.

Not many hammer-fired guns have a trigger safety.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:

Not many hammer-fired guns have a trigger safety.

True, my bad, lo siento. Forgot it wasn't a striker fired pistol.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grand power cp380?

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
That M&P EZ looks like it will fit the bill perfectly.

I have tried the G19 route, it's my favorite pistol and I own several, but it's just an ass hair too big for her short fingers. She can shoot it, but I want something she will naturally feel is a good fit so she feels more comfortable and a sense of ownership with it. Sounds like the EZ may be the ticket, easy slide rack, easy mag load and low recoil.

Now I just need to find one around here

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Bersa Thunder .380?

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc....earms/thunder-series

Seconded. Probably one of the best values in a .380. A little more recoil due to the blowback design. It fills my Beretta/ppk role at a much cheaper price tag. $22 mags from gregcote. Very comfortable in the hand.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post