SIGforum
Got me a Ruger Wrangler!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4770073564

January 12, 2020, 08:14 PM
BennerP220
Got me a Ruger Wrangler!
I went and got me a Wrangler and I love it!! I got the black one. I have a Heritage Rough Rider and a Walther P22. I probably need to get rid of one of them as I don’t need them all.

I find it interesting that it can be carried with the hammer down with a loaded chamber. Also, there are only two hammer positions and it’s safe to dry fire! I guess I’ll need a decent holster in the future.

Anyone have one and what are your thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,
January 12, 2020, 08:45 PM
egregore
quote:
I find it interesting that it can be carried with the hammer down with a loaded chamber. Also, there are only two hammer positions and it’s safe to dry fire!

It looks externally like New Model Single-Six/Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk lockwork, i.e., you open the loading gate to rotate the cylinder and the hammer is either at rest or fully cocked, no half-cock. This was introduced in 1973. I can't imagine they've changed it.
January 12, 2020, 09:18 PM
BennerP220
This is my second single action revolver. It’s new to me.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
I find it interesting that it can be carried with the hammer down with a loaded chamber. Also, there are only two hammer positions and it’s safe to dry fire!

It looks externally like New Model Single-Six/Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk lockwork, i.e., you open the loading gate to rotate the cylinder and the hammer is either at rest or fully cocked, no half-cock. This was introduced in 1973. I can't imagine they've changed it.

January 13, 2020, 05:22 AM
92fstech
I don't have a Wrangler, but I have a single-six, which I believe is identical in function to the Wrangler, just made of steel instead of alloy. If it shoots anything like my Single-Six you're going to love it.
January 13, 2020, 06:55 AM
Rolan_Kraps
Now buy a pair of Centerfire Vaqueros (or blackhawks), a rifle and Shotgun and come play Cowboy with us!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home
January 13, 2020, 08:31 AM
BennerP220
I just fired it a few times on my way home yesterday and its a blast! 92, those single-sixes are sweet. I like the bearcats and shop keeper but the wrangler fit my budget.

Rolan, I have a lever action .22 rifle. That would be fun!
January 13, 2020, 11:15 AM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Also, there are only two hammer positions and it’s safe to dry fire!

What prevents the firing pin from peening the rim of the chambers?
January 13, 2020, 11:28 AM
BennerP220
Unlike “old model” single action revolvers, which should alwaysbe carried withthe hammer down on an emptychamber to prevent accidental discharges causedby a blow to the hammer*, the RUGER®WRANGLER™is equipped with atransfer bar. When the hammer and trigger are fully forward at the same time,the transfer bar is lowered out of firing position and the hammer rests directlyon the frame, not on the firing pin.

DRY-FIRING: Going through the actions of cocking, aiming, and pulling thetrigger of an unloadedfirearm is known as “Dry Firing.” It can be useful to learnthe “feel” of your revolver. Be certain the revolver is unloaded and that thefirearm is pointing in a safe direction even when practicing by dry-firing.TheRUGER®WRANGLER™can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin orother components.

quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Also, there are only two hammer positions and it’s safe to dry fire!

What prevents the firing pin from peening the rim of the chambers?

January 13, 2020, 03:38 PM
pedropcola
I have a New Vaquero in 357 with 9mm conversion cylinder. Works great. Loys of fun. I have a Colt Scout 22. Also fun. Only can carry 5 safely but it has the beautiful 4 clicks.

Biggest issue? The fixed sights are authentic but not great to actually hit with. Figure out your hold and don’t switch ammo. Lol
January 13, 2020, 05:11 PM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:TheRUGER®WRANGLER™can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin orother components.

There is at least one video out there showing the damage to that cylinder from dry firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl0lf0RPAPs

I wouldn't do it to a Wrangler or any other rimfire.
January 13, 2020, 05:52 PM
pedropcola
At 179 I would take a chance. lol

Pretty little gun.
January 13, 2020, 06:17 PM
92fstech
quote:
I just fired it a few times on my way home yesterday and its a blast! 92, those single-sixes are sweet. I like the bearcats and shop keeper but the wrangler fit my budget.

Benner, I do feel like it's my responsibility to warn you...I know you bought the .22 to save money, as did I back in the day...it seemed like a great idea a the time. I mean, what could go wrong? It's a single-action .22...what could possibly be cheaper to shoot than that? But as you've already begun to see, single-actions are addicting, and I can tell you from personal experience that the Heritage, Wrangler, Single-Six and the like are a gateway drug!

Don't listen to Rolan. Definitely don't try out a centerfire Vaquero or Blackhawk. And definitely don't do what I did and go out and buy a convertible in .45ACP/.45 Colt. Because I guarantee you'll want to shoot it all the time, and .45 Colt (and even .45 ACP) is a whole lot more damaging on the pocketbook than .22LR. Big Grin

All that said, I'm an enabler, so if you're ever up in the northern part of the state, hit me up...you're welcome to try mine! Big Grin
January 13, 2020, 07:51 PM
BennerP220
Thank you. If I dry fire I’ll just use spent brass.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:TheRUGER®WRANGLER™can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin orother components.

There is at least one video out there showing the damage to that cylinder from dry firing.

January 13, 2020, 07:53 PM
BennerP220
That is what I’m afraid of! I can see tires becoming quite the problem. I’ll shout you an email when I go up north again. I appreciate the offer!

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

Benner, I do feel like it's my responsibility to warn you...I know you bought the .22 to save money, as did I back in the day...it seemed like a great idea a the time. I mean, what could go wrong? It's a single-action .22...what could possibly be cheaper to shoot than that? But as you've already begun to see, single-actions are addicting, and I can tell you from personal experience that the Heritage, Wrangler, Single-Six and the like are a gateway drug!

Don't listen to Rolan. Definitely don't try out a centerfire Vaquero or Blackhawk. And definitely don't do what I did and go out and buy a convertible in .45ACP/.45 Colt. Because I guarantee you'll want to shoot it all the time, and .45 Colt (and even .45 ACP) is a whole lot more damaging on the pocketbook than .22LR. Big Grin

All that said, I'm an enabler, so if you're ever up in the northern part of the state, hit me up...you're welcome to try mine! Big Grin

January 13, 2020, 08:37 PM
Bisleyblackhawk
quote:

quote:
quote:

I’ve used plastic #4 yellow dry wall anchors as snap caps for a .22.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
January 13, 2020, 08:40 PM
92fstech
quote:
I’ll shout you an email when I go up north again. I appreciate the offer

Any time, just let me know! I'm in Kosciusko county.
January 13, 2020, 08:46 PM
BennerP220
I know where that is Wink. I’m Vanderburgh.

My buddy in Tennessee got the Cimarron Doc Holiday combo. My blues eyes turned instant green lol.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
I’ll shout you an email when I go up north again. I appreciate the offer

Any time, just let me know! I'm in Kosciusko county.

January 13, 2020, 09:03 PM
BennerP220
Great idea! Thank you for that.

quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

quote:
quote:

I’ve used plastic #4 yellow dry wall anchors as snap caps for a .22.

January 14, 2020, 01:21 AM
Texas Bob C.
I got one from my lovely wife for Christmas this year. It's a nice revolver for that price.
January 14, 2020, 08:18 AM
BennerP220
That is a great Christmas present!
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I got one from my lovely wife for Christmas this year. It's a nice revolver for that price.