SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which aerosol gun cleaner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which aerosol gun cleaner? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:Just note, like Gun Scrubber it completely decreases the gun. So any metal parts will need to be re-lubricated.

+1 Gun Scrubber will remove all of the grit and dirt but leaves the metal completely dry and free of any lubricant. Follow it with Hornady One-Shot for a dry, effective lube that does not attract a lot of dirt.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
^^^Good to know about Gun Scrubber as I picked some up today, thank you.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I had never tried OneShot before this thread. I picked up a can this past weekend and gave it a try. I sprayed some down an immaculately clean barrel and let it set for a minute. I ran just a patch thru it and it came out black. My intent was not to clean as much as lube/protect the metal. Color me impressed.

+1 Gun Scrubber will remove all of the grit and dirt but leaves the metal completely dry and free of any lubricant. Follow it with Hornady One-Shot for a dry, effective lube that does not attract a lot of dirt.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adman
posted Hide Post
Brake parts cleaner at $2.50 on sale at Advance Auto Parts -- black label. SMH.

Adman

"Then said (Jesus) unto them ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." --Luke 22:36 KJV
-----

Posts: 1245 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: November 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NON CHLORINATED brake cleaner here, followed up by Mobil 1 full synthetic. It cures all but use it outside or with a vent hood and mask.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
NON CHLORINATED brake cleaner here, followed up by Mobil 1 full synthetic. It cures all but use it outside or with a vent hood and mask.

Ne too...brake cleaner...cheap. But again, lube it well after air blast.

Faster horses, younger women,
older whiskey and more money.

Posts: 7 | Location: South Coast of Mississippi | Registered: July 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Chalk me up as another user of generic non-chlorinated brake cleaner from the auto parts store. Several of the name-brand gun cleaning sprays are just brake cleaner in smaller cans at big markups.

In addition to generic gun cleaning, it also does a great job on greasy old milsurps with old gunk, grease, and grime caked into the nooks and crannies.

Just make sure that you're using it on metal ONLY. Don't put it on plastic, rubber, wood, or painted surfaces. (I would also be cautious about using it on surfaces with bake-on or air-cured colored finishes, like Duracoat.)

And as already noted, it will strip the metal of all grease/oils, leaving it bone dry, so be sure to relube everything well afterwards.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I've become pretty fond of G96. Truth be told, I'll bet there isn't a nickel's worth of difference in any of them.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Gun Scrubber. Messy but effective.

Cut down on mess and save the expensive spray by spraying a little on part to be cleaned and a little on a toothbrush. Less mess and can lasts twice as long.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Ballistol! Smells almost as good as Hoppes 9.

I am amazed at how well it works, but you have to like the smell of licorice!

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post