SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which aerosol gun cleaner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which aerosol gun cleaner? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
I know this is like asking 9mm or .45 but I need some direction as I’ve never used an aerosol; however I think it may be the ticket for one gun in particular.

I have a Smith and Wesson M&Pc .22 pistol that I bought as a suppressor host for a SilencerCo Micro Osprey. Not to go into too much detail, but the mounting system for this can is a little different and would require constant removal and re-torqueing of the mount and/or barrel thread adaptor in order to remove the slide. I’d like to avoid this and am looking for a cleaner that I can spray into all the nooks and combined with liberal amounts of air from the garage compressor can achieve a level of cleaning I’d term “good enough.

So with that I’d like to ask for some suggestions. Right now I use M-Pro7 cleaner on all my firearms.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun Scrubber. Messy but effective.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Breakfree CLP in the aerosol can, but they can be hard to find.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The Synthetic Safe version of Gun Scrubber, here.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only aerosol cleaner I've used is Gun Scrubber, but it's actually pretty rare for me to use it. When I did, it worked well for me.

I had a couple of guns that had been in storage for somewhere around 20 years or so. Actions seemed a little sluggish/gummy. I sprayed them liberally with Gun Scrubber, then cleaned and lubed as usual. Both guns worked very well afterwards.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Non chlorinated brake cleaner, about 1/3 the cost

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I don't use it much myself but here's our aerosol best sellers:

1. Gun Scrubber
2. Hornady One-Shot
3. G96
4. Break Free CLP

Probably 4:1 ratio between #1 and #2. Somebody out there really likes the stuff. The other three are close in sales.

I've used Rem Oil spray and Ballistol as well in the past. Both work well though not appreciably better than the other, or Gun Scrubber. I've not tried One-Shot or G96. I don't like Break Free; from my own experience it's too slow in breaking down fouling, and the 'L' part of its name is specifically crappy; burns off way too easily.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Brownells TGE degreaser or whatever it's called.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The LARGE spray can of Remington "Shotgun Cleaner". Great stuff, cheap. If you can't find that your favorite generic brake cleaner. That's for a cleaner, not an all-in-one. I don't use all in ones for cleaning, too expensive. I used the cleaner, flash off, then douse with G96, short soak, wipe down. Works every time no matter what the finish. For blue guns (old fashioned blueing, not modern finishes) I may leave a little bit of G96 on the metal, then wipe off before shooting. If you don't keep the gun in a good environment, g96 won't quite cut it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G96 for general cleaning and non-chlorinated brake cleaner for heavy fouling.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Ballistol! Smells almost as good as Hoppes 9.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve had good luck with Lucas spray..

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...52181.aspx?rrec=true

https://www.brownells.com/gun-...y-clp-prod80238.aspx

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
For a .22 I'd use Breakfree CLP. It has solvents in it that break up crud, as well as lube. In fact, I barely ever use Breakfree CLP any more, but I do spray it into my hard to break down .22LR guns like the Ruger mark 2. Which keeps them cleaned "enough" and functional.

My favorite spray lube/cleaner for all my other guns is Remoil aerosol cans. This works great as a light cleaner. Then dry off with compressed air and use a real lube to lubricate.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I use Breakfree CLP and then apply Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the appropriate areas.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
LUCAS

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I used to use synthetic safe gun scrubber. I've been using Lucas Oil CLP lately.

Any aerosol is messy. I have a white plastic bucket I hold the gun over and spray it. I also wear gloves.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

+1

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
For a .22 I'd use Breakfree CLP. It has solvents in it that break up crud, as well as lube. In fact, I barely ever use Breakfree CLP any more, but I do spray it into my hard to break down .22LR guns like the Ruger mark 2. Which keeps them cleaned "enough" and functional.

My favorite spray lube/cleaner for all my other guns is Remoil aerosol cans. This works great as a light cleaner. Then dry off with compressed air and use a real lube to lubricate.

I like CLP as well, as it isn't going to ruin any finish, and can act as a lube.

Bubbatime- I have two Mk IIs. I know how hard [or not] they are to break down.

Have you heard of the Hammer Strut Support? It acts to stop the strut from getting 'caught' on the cross pin that holds the sear spring leg down.

With one of these installed it removes one of the complications.

Generally, it takes me longer to break down my 1911 than my MK II. I can break down my MK II about as fast as my BHP. Reassembly is about the same.

However, I concede that Sig/Glock/M&P/Etc designs are faster/easier.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
Non chlorinated brake cleaner, about 1/3 the cost
+1

Just note, like Gun Scrubber it completely decreases the gun. So any metal parts will need to be re-lubricated.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:

+1

+2

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post