SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My NAA .22, with wood grips
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My NAA .22, with wood grips Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
A month ago I was talking about and shopping for a "cheap" gun for a contest at my family's "Crawfish Boil and Leadfest". Basically looking for the cheapest gun I could find that worked. Calling around, I talked to a small gun store I had not even heard of prior, and when I said "cheap" he said he might have something for me. Bottom line, I bought this NAA .22, with both the LR and Mag cylinders, for $100:

It actually shoots pretty well with that grip, but I just didn't like the aesthetics of it, so I ordered some wood grips directly from NAA, and now she's pretty:

I haven't yet shot it with the wood grips, but they certainly do seem to feel fine in the hand.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice! I found one of the NAA in 17 HMR and a smaller one in 17mach2. more fun than I thought they would be.

The folding grips are just the thing for pocket carry, but not much to look at.

The wooden grips look a lot better and should be easier to hold than the birds head grips some of them come with.

Somehow I think if you squeeze off a few rounds you may decide to keep this one.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be very careful about ensuring the hammer is in the notch, and not resting on a primer. When the pistol is loaded, the hammer rests in notches between the cylinders. It's very easy to end up resting on a primer. Also, if the pistol gets bumped in such a way that the hammer is pulled back at all, the cylinder will rotate under the hammer and the revolver can discharge.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I had one of these and carried it for a long time ago, so I am familiar with the safe handling and the "notches", but it's not something I'd carry these days. I shot this one with the plastic grips and it shot much better than the last one with the standard birds head grips. I just haven't shot it with the wood grips.

The guy at the store told me his cost was $160, but he had special ordered it for someone who never picked it up, and he was tired of looking at it. It was brand new, with both cylinders, and when he told me he'd sell it to me for $100, and I couldn't pass it up!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
It was brand new, with both cylinders, and when he told me he'd sell it to me for $100, and I couldn't pass it up!

Heck yeah times 30!

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That was a deal even at $160, with both cylinders.

Email sent.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Ah the noisy cricket! Mine rides with me in my front pocket everywhere I go. I also carry a Glock 19 but this makes a nice little BUG that I can easily carry. I have a Simply Rugged pocket holster I keep mine in that holds a few extra rounds as well. Not as though I'll ever have time to reload it but i doubt i'll ever bitch about having too much ammo Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want a pug

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Earl, in .22 mag. It keyholes like crazy. NAA will take it back and re-do it (a known barrel problem), it's just finding the time to get it sent off. They said they'd do a .22LR cylinder and time it for an extra hundred bucks.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Love the NAA revolvers. You got one helluva deal. If you want your money back give me a shout. I carry a NAA Pug in .22 Winmag everywhere I go. I have the matching .22lr cylinder also but just never shoot it. Still, it’s nice to have.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wood grips are too slick for me. Arthritis makes all things more difficult. I think that they made 3 versions of belt buckles for them. The earliest had a magnet on the back I think, and it's no available. Later NAA put on some solid locking bars.

Here's Donald Trump Jr with his version the other day (getting the press riled up) (Freedom Arms, foreunner to NAA) in a belt buckle holster.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty cool little gun lou. My oldest brother has one and loves it.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Nice little shooter.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freedom Arms and North American Arms (NAA) are two different companies.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107509 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that. Bad ass

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I knew someone else here had a Pug and brought them onto my radar. Just forgot it was you Para. Many thanks for that.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I think I have to buy one of these!

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Be very careful about ensuring the hammer is in the notch, and not resting on a primer. When the pistol is loaded, the hammer rests in notches between the cylinders. It's very easy to end up resting on a primer. Also, if the pistol gets bumped in such a way that the hammer is pulled back at all, the cylinder will rotate under the hammer and the revolver can discharge.

Sage advice right there.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qcsmitty:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Sage advice right there.

The pistol isn’t going to get bumped hard enough to cause the hammer to pull back and rotate the cylinder. I’ve been carrying mine for years and while doing a lot of physical activity and it’s totally safe. It’s like saying that if you drop a Smith 686 hard enough to make the trigger move it might fire the gun. It’s not untrue, just not something you need to worry about.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post