SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Scratch/PVD coating off on brand new sig p229 legion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scratch/PVD coating off on brand new sig p229 legion Login/Join 
posted
Hello Guys,
I want to know what do you guys think on my brand new gun issue.

I have been busy and finally got a time to look at the new purchase I made last week and noticed some shiny spot on gun.

During the FFL pick-up, I did not find any apparent scratches or dings and I did not inspect the internals and today was first time break down the gun to inspect after finding that shiny spot on the rear slide.

It seems either metal-impact-scratch or chipping pvd coating off.
I was considering this gun for collection(safe queen).

However, today, I was disappointed about the imperfection (For collection purpose which I paid lots of money for) and concerned about this coating gonna chip off and getting larger.
I am quite shocked that this passed QC department(maybe I am over dramatic).

I would be great if you can give me some guidance here, please. Thank you.

https://imgur.com/oljJOFz
https://imgur.com/UDe9zF8
https://imgur.com/U1tfnYj
https://imgur.com/ind8T4L

Posts: 13 | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I recommend that you contact SIG after Christmas with these pics and see what they have to say.

I'll tell you that this not the first time I see folks having issues with the finish on the Legions.
There are 2 camps on this.

1- One says no big deal. Just shoot it. It's gonna get dinged up anyway.

2- The other says, WTF is wrong with SIG. Unacceptable. If it's gonna get dinged up, I want it to be me, not SIG, that put the scratch there.

I personally don't care one way or another, because I'll never buy a Legion. However, it's your money. Do what you think that will give you satisfaction.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Frame is aluminum alloy and has type III hard anodize.

The stainless slide has the VPD treatment.

The frame can chip, wear, and scratch, while the slide will handle much more rough handling.

Both will show "holster wear", with the anodize showing silver/aluminum after wearing through, but the slide will typically become "shiny" yet still be protected by the VPD as it is pretty tough.

If you buy a pistol as a safe queen, you need to inspect it 100% at the FFL and take opportunity to refuse it at that time.

What you have pointed out is unlikely anything you will find remedied by the manufacture, as it would likely be considered a minor cosmetic issue and not impacting the function or longevity of the pistol.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do think you're being overly dramatic, but at the same time I can't blame you either.

I don't think the Legion is special enough to become a collector, but only time will tell and I certainly could be wrong. At the same time, the Legion is marketed as a collector item, and if that is your intent, I would definitely contact SIG. Although the mark is minor, I think it would hurt the value of an unfired collectible.

But what do I know? I don't collect.

Edit: wow I had some typos and grammar errors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BuddyChryst,

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP- I'd have more angst about the scratch on the beaver tail.

This is why I don't buy guns on the internet.

FWIW, my Legion has over 8,000 rounds through it and thousands of holster draws. It is my IDPA gun. I've found the finish to be extremely tough. The only wear other than on the rails is on the magazine rail from speed reloads.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably got dinged up when the sear pin was being installed.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The finish on my Legions doesn't seem particularly durable. Each shows a fair amount of holster wear on the muzzle, wear on the mag well, beavertail area, etc. My nitron Sigs don't show so much wear.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think about it like this. If it was a new car and you drove it off the lot and whoops, there goes some paint, you'd go back and ask for a fix. Same here, especially for the price of the guns.

Be polite but I'd talk to Sig and see what they do for you. On the bright side, finish issues aside I do believe they are worth every penny.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Talk to SIG. See what they say.

I was extremely picky when I bought my M9A3 because of the known anodizing QC problems Beretta's Tennessee plant was having. I could've saved another $200 or so over what I did spend on one bought through Beretta's dealer incentive Pro-deal program. However I would likely have to accept the gun sight (site?) unseen regarding any minor cosmetic-related issues. As it happened, a 'G' came into the shop with a flawless anodized frame, and I said the hell with it and took it. My boss gave me a great price (for a retail context), but as I stated above I did leave a couple of Benjamins on the table just to get myself a pristine frame to wear down and mar up on my own accord.

The Legion hasn't really been on my radar but I will state that a few have come through our shop that were darn near flawless in their finish execution. Still most others have had issues, mostly minor in nature. The prices of the Legions aren't dramatically out of line with other model variations in their lineup, but SIG does imply through their marketing that the Legion is supposed to be a premium line of pistols. If that's the case then they really should take care of such issues as they arise, or not allow them to happen at all through proper QC inspection and applying any repair before the guns leave the factory.

Hell, even my recent P229 CC TALO with its mundane standard anodized frame and plain Nitron slide--easily priced $400 lower than the typical Legion--out of the box had a frame that doesn't wear that kind of finish flaw, or ANY kind of finish flaw for that matter. Frankly I would expect no less for a Legion.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The finish on my Legions doesn't seem particularly durable. Each shows a fair amount of holster wear on the muzzle, wear on the mag well, beavertail area, etc. My nitron Sigs don't show so much wear.

What holster material are you using? I'm using leather and I've yet to see any signs of holster wear. I thoroughly expected to at this point.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
From those pictures, the gun looks like it has been fired much more than at the factory.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDragoon:
quote:

What holster material are you using? I'm using leather and I've yet to see any signs of holster wear. I thoroughly expected to at this point.

Leather holsters, and kydex. I dont see the kind of wear on nitron pistols, or other kinds of handguns, that I see on my Legions. My impression is that so far as aesthetics, the finish is not very durable. I doubt it makes any difference in the function or environmental protection of the metal, and it seems to clean up about the same. It's just that the finish on the Legions seems to show wear more easily than most of my other handguns.

It looks nice when it's new, though.

One if my Legions, a P229, has a barely-visible chevron and "Legion" atop the slide. I assume it was simply filled with coating material to make it so faint, but it does leave a shoddy impression, almost like no care was taken in ginishing the pistol...a sad statement considering what they get away with charging for the Legions.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Leather holsters, and kydex. I dont see the kind of wear on nitron pistols, or other kinds of handguns, that I see on my Legions. My impression is that so far as aesthetics, the finish is not very durable. I doubt it makes any difference in the function or environmental protection of the metal, and it seems to clean up about the same. It's just that the finish on the Legions seems to show wear more easily than most of my other handguns.

It looks nice when it's new, though.

One if my Legions, a P229, has a barely-visible chevron and "Legion" atop the slide. I assume it was simply filled with coating material to make it so faint, but it does leave a shoddy impression, almost like no care was taken in ginishing the pistol...a sad statement considering what they get away with charging for the Legions.

hmm....interesting. I've heard this quite a bit about Legions. It is odd (fortunate I guess) that mine seems impervious to wear except on the rails after about 8,000 rounds. I've used a Mitch Rosen leather holster exclusively with hit.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
OP- I'd have more angst about the scratch on the beaver tail.

Yeah, that's what I noticed right off the bat.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post