SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Where Does One Find Great Deals on Guns?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Does One Find Great Deals on Guns? Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've gotten good deals at the lgs, online forums, and local auctions.

Usually the lgs deals require a little work like new springs, but I have never gotten a complete lemon.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
SIGforum Classifieds!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just pay retail, and get what I want, when I want it. It's kinda nice because it's new, and not dicked up by someone else. Yes, a good deal is being in the right place, at the right time. It really does not work for me though.
If I saved $100 on a 1911 because it had an idiot scratch, I would not be happy. Lol

Rick

Posts: 53 | Registered: May 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Walk around gun shows with a pocket full of money. Deal with walkers, not over the table. Never can tell what might come along. And remember a bargain is something cheap when you need it. Have bought many like new guns 200 below wholesale. Patience is key.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Best deal I got was on a local car forum.
Sig 239 in 9mm with 3 mags. Looked like it had never been shot $450!

As others stated, right place, right time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
It also doesn't hurt to be polite and treat the seller with respect.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The only "great deals" I ever got on handguns were because I was willing to buy them sight unseen. One of my Webley's, the Gunbroker add had no photos and I took a chance. No one else bid because of it.

Another an acquaintance who told me "my friend has a gun for sale, it's a Ruger in 44 mag, he wants $200". I said "tell him I'll take it!" Didn't know what model, blued or stainless, or what condition, but whatever it was it was worth more than $200 Big Grin (it was a like new stainless Super Blackhawk)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
For me the good deals have been found on Gunbroker. I bought my P220 Equinox in February for $924 shipped and it came with the regular Equinox grips, a pair of G10 Pirhanna grips, .22 coversion kit with extra mag, Crimson Trace grips, a 3rd mag and Hogue Extreme hex head screws. I sold the G10 and Crimson trace grips and conversion kit/magazine and ended up paying $595.50 for an excellent condition Equinox with 3 mags and hex head grip screws.

I really lucked out on that find, but my friend is the one who found it and told me because he knew I'd wanted an Equinox for years. When I bid I thought there was no way I'd win the auction but I did.

I'd say as others have said, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Make regular trips to the good local gunshops. Drop in at lunch...after work...it will happen. You will find those deals. That's why I sometimes stop going.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beanhead,

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
For me the good deals have been found on Gunbroker. I bought my P220 Equinox in February for $924 shipped and it came with the regular Equinox grips, a pair of G10 Pirhanna grips, .22 coversion kit with extra mag, Crimson Trace grips, a 3rd mag and Hogue Extreme hex head screws. I sold the G10 and Crimson trace grips and conversion kit/magazine and ended up paying $595.50 for an excellent condition Equinox with 3 mags and hex head grip screws.

I really lucked out on that find, but my friend is the one who found it and told me because he knew I'd wanted an Equinox for years. When I bid I thought there was no way I'd win the auction but I did.

I'd say as others have said, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

January and also February are the best months, I think, to buy guns. I got some great buys this year. Everyone is tapped out from holiday gift giving and parties, and the tax refund has not come in yet.

This year was especially good with the prices on guns dropping. Our local large gun and outdoors shop up here isn't paying nearly what they did for used guns a year ago. They have inventory sitting. Some guns are 2-3 years old and they aren't selling them for too much more then they bought them for. But their prices are high compared to gunbroker and on line ads.

In Jan and Feb this year I found:

an HK45 tactical as new in box for $830 shipped (gunbroker).

A cz tactical p07 urban gray with high sights for suppressor unfired in box for $500.(online forum)

Got a sig 556xi piston driven with $120 trigger upgrade, like new in box, , with another $200 in extras for $900 (armslist local)

Posts: 980 | Location: Portsmouth, NH | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not just where, but when, if buying from individuals. I have now forgotten the cycle, but at certain times of the year, folks with a bit of buyer's remorse will start thinning their herds. This applies to all durable goods which are not necessities.

Some folks get desperate to sell when rent is due.

Announcements at the S.H.O.T. and NRA Shows might trigger some to sell firearms, to finance a newly-announced firearm.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've got a local guy here in Louisville, runs a 'cop shop' primarily and always has the best deals, by far. In some cases, Sigs I've bought through him have beeen almost $100 cheaper than over at Cabelas. If you're in the area, Wolf Supply is the name of his shop...well worth the effort to find him. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 727 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local shop does consignment and often offers some very good deals. I've bought quite a few handguns and some long guns from them. I've bought new there, too, but a good used firearm at a good price usually feels like a better purchase to me.

I've had a few handguns from Buds Guns online, transferred through a local FFL. I skip the tax, and the firearms have been up to a hundred less than I could get locally, and often even the shipping has been no charge. For just a twenty dollar transfer fee, that's hard to beat (no charge for the background, if the buyer has a CCW).

I bought a Shield 9 from Palmetto recently, though haven't had time to go shoot it. I've purchased a number of rifles from them, and used some as Christmas gifts for the kids this year.

The classifieds on this site and a couple of others have netted some good deals and there has only been one occasion when the seller has made it a bad transaction (tried to disappear, rifle didn't show, eventually arrived after police got involved, but the rifle was damaged with a Dremel). I ate the cost on that one. Otherwise, so far good experiences.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is no formula. You just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Agree with above. Just gotta be in right place and right time. I've had some great deals out of the blue at some stores that are notoriously overpriced. Then I have a few local shops that always gave good prices but rarely a "great" deal.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, right place, right time. To increase the odds of that - persistence.

I live in NoVA, and a few years ago I scored a pristine P225 with 4 mags for $500 at the now defunct Guns and Ammo Warehouse.

I passed on an all stainless 6" barreled S&W 357 revolver for something like $450 because I didn't want yet another caliber to add to my logistics plan. I'm still kicking myself on that one. That was at Virginia Arms.

The deals are out there, you just have to keep looking.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of acftmech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
All of mine have been just timing & location....

I'll second this.

Don't think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I've forgotten how to be violent.

Posts: 288 | Location: In the real world. | Registered: March 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Timing and location:

Check Baltimore, they currently have way too many guns on the street.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My motto is buy high and sell low. Big Grin

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Enough luck to be in the right place at the right time, the foresight to keep cash on hand to pounce. Bonus points if you live in an area with legalized gambling and/or military bases.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post