SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So for all the questions asking have you changed your EDC or House Gun etc.? A question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So for all the questions asking have you changed your EDC or House Gun etc.? A question? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So isn’t having an EDC or House gun an in case shit plan to begin with? So my question is if you consider current events.....shit happening....then isn’t your in case shit gun fundamentally inadequate if you are suddenly thinking of a change?

Does this change your overall opinion of your self defense choices or will there always be a tiered approach?

I have several guns I consider my SD guns. They are similar platforms in 9mm, .40 and .45, to allow me ammo versatility. They are the same today as yesterday. They are all “fighting” sized handguns. Even with this blip.....which too shall pass, I have not one inkling of wavering on my choices.

So ultimately if this blip has made you rethink your SD stuff is it a permanent change or a different jacket for different weather.

Just curious.

As always take care and shoot safe,
Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Fair question. For me, I prefer a pocket gun or slim IWB gun and 99 times out of 100 that is more than enough. However, in times of turmoil and possible mobs, bigger and more boolits is better. I’d like to always carry a full size high cap gun but it is inconvenient and uncomfortable. In trying times, I deal with it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a fan of the pump shotgun ever since I took an advanced combat course that clearly showed the guns versatility, as well as its drawbacks.
I feel its up to most HD scenarios, including this latest apocalypse. So I stay with it. If we get into a true TEOWAWKI scenario, I may switch to an AR.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have 3 SHTF guns. One for "If I'm hunkering in place", 1 for "If I'm going mobile" and a shotgun to back them both up.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A different jacket in one aspect only.
I still put what ever pistol I carried that day on the nightstand. Depending on season, it could be my 19X or my Kahr K9. In the other thread I said the AR is now in the bedroom with me.
The AR has also seen time with me outside of the house and that is a way different jacket so to speak.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really. I keep a 20ga pump loaded with #3 buck, an AR with several mags, and a half a dozen 9mm pistols around the house with 21 round magazines. Short of roving biker gangs or zombies, I'm pretty much set. Matter of fact, I'm ready of those groups DO come.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Personally I weighed this decision a couple years ago when carrying a Glock 43. Why limit myself to 7 rounds and a less then ideal grip when personally I can comfortably carry and conceal a Glock 19 with RMR and a weapon mounted light. I made the decision at that time that a smaller weapon system was not for me and have carried the 19 since then. I always toss a spare mag in my pocket as well for good measure. The purpose of carrying on a daily basis is to protect myself and family. I want to give myself the largest advantage as possible which is why I carry my 19 or 5” M&P2.0.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Only difference for myself and my wife is that we have a third mag loaded up with defense ammo.

We both carry from sunup to sundown, then our EDC goes on the nightstands. We also always carry a spare mag. During this "situation" we loaded up a third mag - its in our nightstands or available for carry if we are venturing out amongst the hordes...

Both of us are carrying Glock 26s right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No changes other than having cartridges for one rifle handy. Otherwise, one handgun ready, one shotgun available. SHTF with a little warning, break the rifle out of the cabinet.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
No changes at all.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it either, and haven't made any changes.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
I haven't really changed my choices with the current Corona Virus scare. I have double checked my preparedness level though, maybe done a more thorough evaluation of my equipment that I might do every so often anyway. Double checking ammo supply etc.

I've maybe sped up finishing a couple projects that I had in the works too.

My main HD guns are long guns,not handguns. At home a handgun is secondary. I've double checked the ammo and batteries in weapon lights in my long guns. I also replaced and ordered and restocked some batteries. That kind of thing.

I've also, casually asked and made sure my grown kids are prepared.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
As the Duke would say, Not One Bit.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No change to any of the weapons I'm going to use if the SHTF.
I just loaded up some more magazines, that's it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
edc normally could be different from now, as well as hd. Best way to explain is this - your chances of being struck by lightning are slim to none, unless you are in a thunderstorm outside. Do you normally walk around exactly like you would in a storm? AND, most importantly, if you saw a storm coming, would you make any changes.

Now, if you live in an area that requires body armor, up armored vehicles, and the potential for riots/gang fights/gunfire on a daily basis, OK, you are probably all set for whatever may come. Otherwise, it may be prudent to make some changes/re-evaluate your choices and plans.

A better option is to be fluid, and understand when to re-evaluate and make any changes needed. The folks that have been in areas where riots have broken out can attest to that, ask the rooftop Koreans... Did their edc and hd change? Just discussing current events and how to respond to likely situations with family is a good idea. Not saying riots or thunderstorms are coming, but things are definitely changing, and the time to discuss changes is always best before being in the middle of it.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So nobody feels that the possibility of encountering violence in public has increased in the last couple weeks with tensions running high and people getting desperate due to not getting a paycheck?
I know I do and would think anyone a fool to not take the opportunity to make a few changes here and there. Folks are going to get more desperate as time goes on.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Nope. Just moved my 5.7 banshee from downstairs to upstairs next to bed along with some magazines. HK P30 still in bedside safe, haven’t been out much to carry Wink

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
So nobody feels that the possibility of encountering violence in public has increased in the last couple weeks with tensions running high and people getting desperate due to not getting a paycheck?
I know I do and would think anyone a fool to not take the opportunity to make a few changes here and there. Folks are going to get more desperate as time goes on.

I suppose it depends on where you live. In my area, it seems like with people sheltering in place, personally, I have seen fewer people out and about.

I don't think it will pan out like the movies where people just go berserk all of the sudden. I suspect overall there is likely far fewer crimes occurring during the current Chinese COVID-19 situation. Even during the Great Depression, other than isolated incidents like Bonny & Cyde and organized crime related to prohibition, most people weren't running around killing each other and stealing shit with reckless abandon.

I just watched an episode of the Waltons... It really didn't seem too bad overall. Big Grin

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
nothing has changed here but the preferred ammunition...

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post