SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P225A1 slide moves on frame (shimmy)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P225A1 slide moves on frame (shimmy) Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a new P225A1 and when the slide is forward in battery there is a “shimmy” forwards and backwards about a 1/32 of a inch or less the slide moves back and forth on the frame. Sort of a front and rearward rattle when shaking it. Is this normal? All my other Sigs the slide does not move forward or rearward and is tight on the frame. Could it be a recoil spring not exerting enough tension backward? Advise please...thanks
Brian87

Posts: 370 | Location: Williamsburg, VA,  | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Is the slide moving independently of the barrel, or are they both moving together? My X5 doesn't rattle, but both my 226 and 229 do to some degree. If the barrel and slide are locked up tight, I wouldn't worry about it.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrel and slide stay together.

Posts: 370 | Location: Williamsburg, VA,  | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, IMHO, looser slide/frame fit is not unusual with American made SIGs. My M11-A1 and MK25 didn't have 1/32" play, but were not fit as precisely as my German guns. Most SIG owners now seem to accept this looseness as normal. Function is not impaired, and anyone questioning this looseness will soon be schooled by someone that barrel/slide fit matters, but slide/frame fit doesn't matter much. I have only owned one American made SIG displaying the precise fit that was common with German SIGs, and that is the P210A....

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just checked mine, no slop there whatsoever.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound right to me. Recoil spring too short or hung-up on guide rod?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d probably call Sig regarding the movement backwards and forwards.

My P229 and P226 both have a little play left and right between the frame and slide but not backwards and forwards. My other Sigs seem to be tight enough that I don’t notice any real play between the frame and slide.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig says everything normal, shimmy is
ok. They said to take it out and shoot
it, then if issues, call them back. So
I will take it out and see if I can ascertain
any problems. The rattle however drives me
nuts. Hard to believe its within tolerance.

posted Hide Post
Did you ever get any more info on this? I have this same issue on a 1989 W. German P226. Very slight movement back and forth while locked up. Appears that the slide and barrel stayed locked while they move forward and back just a small amount. Trying to figure out what could be causing this? Maybe the locking block is not fully engaging the barrel lug? It’s weird because I would think the recoil spring tension would force the slide as far forward as possible. Kind of stumped. It does shoot fine though, so maybe it doesn’t really matter.

Posts: 1 | Registered: September 14, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
have not got a clue about your P225 but back in 2018 I was taking a 4 day class for the 4th time and my buddy and I went to the range gun smith to see about him getting better sights for his Glock and I asked about my Sig P320compact and the smith with a big Glock tattoo on his arm proceeded to show me why my P320 would never be accurate because the slide wiggled..... the next day we shot for qualification and my buddy did not pass... here is my scored target with the 'inaccurate' Sig P320c:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post