SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Pistol Today, Thoughts on SIG Romeo1 Pro?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Pistol Today, Thoughts on SIG Romeo1 Pro? Login/Join 
posted
Hey all...

Today I was able to pick up a new SIG P320 XFULL in 9mm.

My intent for this gun is to run the crap out of it, prove that it is reliable, then make it my "go to war" and nightstand gun.

The slide on the gun is set up to use the Romeo1 Pro and the Delta Point Pro natively (I do not think it has the correct holes for the RMR).

I am trying to decide between the 2 and both seem like great options. The advantage appears to go to the Romeo1 Pro for battery life and price.

• Anyone with any experience with the Romeo1 Pro and would like to share your opinion?
  • Is there another optic that is significantly better that I could mount on the pistol?
  • This is not an RXP version, so the rear sight is lost when mounting the optic, like the M17 and M18. Is it a really big deal not having a proper rear sight and instead use the notch in the Romeo1 Pro as a rear sight in a pinch?
  • Lastly, what height front sight would I need if I were to use the notch in the Romeo1 Pro

Found the Romeo1 Pro for $320 shipped (new). I don't want to miss out on this price if this is the sight I should get.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
The optic itself has a "rear sight notch" so you can still use that as a rear sight.

I recently got an RXP with romeo 1 and ultimately took the romeo 1 off because I spent so much time searching for the dot. I ultimately concluded that it was going to take too much time/money to learn to use the one red dot pistol I had to the detriment of my iron sight skill on the rest of my pistols.

Was overall disappointed because I love my red dots on all my other guns so much.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jester... Thanks for your input.

Could you have practiced (with an empty gun) drawing and picking up the dot without needing to shoot? This would make the process free, yes?

As for time, I do practice drawing, aligning the sights and dry firing. I figured I would have to do that quite a bit to equal the speed with which I can do this with irons only. This would cost me time, but it is time when I am at home with little else to do.

Again, thank you. Valid points, but I am willing to put in the practice/dry fire time to "learn the dot".

PS - Cool videos... I need a new rig so that I can get into ARMA and some of the flight sims I love.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It sounds like maybe you could talk Jester814 into an agreement that might be mutually beneficial to both of you Wink.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a P320 Compact that came with the Romeo red dot .... what I figured out with 'finding' the dot is to use the iron sights first and then just refine your sight picture with the dot.

As I've said before, one of the added benefits to a good red dot is it will show you how your grip and finger placement on the trigger can move the sight picture much better than the iron sights.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I brought the 320 Compact with Romeo I Pro and suppressor height sights already set up. After about a month, the battery died. I was going to remove the optic and send it back to Sig, but I opted to take a chance on putting in a new battery. New battery solved the problem. We really don't know how much the gun was played with at Sig, the distributor, or at the retail store.

While waiting on a new battery, I used the gun with the suppressor height sights and found out how much I like them. And learning that I can trust the sights is a big plus for me, as I still don't fully trust the optic. Hopefully, I can decide if I trust the optic for carry by summer, or simply remove it and put the cosmetic plate on.

If I decide to keep the optic, I may eventually put on the Delta Point Pro just for my own edification and amusement.

If anyone is looking for a reason to hold off on trying an optic, I'd say that to wait until these optics all determine a universal mounting plate.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few things:

-No experience with the Romeo 1 Pro but $320 is a good price. Barely over dealer cost. I would give strong consideration to other optics installed via an adapter plate. You will pay more to do it, but may be happier for it. There are many pistol optics threads on here.

-As we have discussed in a lot of threads, there is a learning curve to pistol optics. Obviously it's a painful one right now with ammo prices but a lot of the work can be done dry. Hell, most of it should be done dry.

-I know of nobody who feels that shooting pistol optics has been detrimental to their proficiency with irons. Much the opposite, actually. Shooting a lot of pistol optics has substantially cleaned up my presentations and trigger control.

-Duracell are the way to go on batteries. There is a thread running on Pistol-Forum where a member has been running various batteries at max brightness in a set of Aimpoints and the Duracell 2032s substantially outlive everything else. The thread made me a believer.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only objection to red-dot sights on a pistol is carrying the so equipped pistol. Not until after this last Christmas had I ever put a red dot on any of mine when I got a Romeo 1 Pro an placed it onto the M17. It is a huge difference in accuracy and shot placement! yes even at 25 yards. I now keep it on my office desk and dry fire when I need a break. I used a bore sighting laser to line up the dot. And I am good to go. Since this experience I have acquired other sights for other pistols such as Holosun 507c, Burris and I am expecting to get a Vortex venom for different pistols that accept those products. The newer Sig slide for the P320 accepts the Holosun and I am equally pleased.
Still to be solved is the holster-carry issue...

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All...

Thank you.

DaBigBR... What other optic is that much better than a Romeo1 Pro that I would be disappointed? I understand the RMR is virtually indestructible but has a very small window and the Delta Point Pro has a little larger glass. Both are considerably more expensive for someone who is trying this new tech for the first time.

I am trying to stay below $400 all in (tax and shipping).

With respect to Holosun, I am trying to avoid Chinese built. My understanding is that the Romeo1's are made in the USA.

Again... All, thanks for the input.

The "Boz"

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Glocks with RMRs and have put Romeo 1 Pros on my P320 X5 Legion as well as my son’s P329 Legion X5. Yes the window is bigger, but I really don’t notice if I do my part on my grip and draw. The battery comgpartment on top is a huge advantage to the R1Pro and the Deltapoint. Also, the sight channel on the R1Pro is a great feature on the 320 slides that lose the rear sight when the plate is removed. The height of the Deltapoint was also a turnoff. I am extremely impressed with my R1Pro and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase one again. I still prefer the proven hard use capabilities and the compactness of the RMR, but if the slide isn’t drilled for it the Romeo 1 Pro is absolutely fine for anything I’d throw at it.

I also have a P320 AXG Scorpion that is drilled for either the Romeo 1 Pro/Deltapoint or the RMR but at this point I’m not planning on using it with an optic.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love the Romeo Pro on the 320. For my 56 year old aging eyes it is a game changer. So much so that I bought a second one (ostensibly for my son Big Grin).

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dking... thank you. That is the most positive, real world endorsement I have seen so far.

SigLaw and the rest... again, thank you.

Primary Arms has the site for $319.99 as of today, limit of 5 per household.

I think I may pull the trigger unless someone has a horror story that SIG did not make right in the end.

The "Boz"

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard some early complaints about comp shooters having the battery compartment cover come loose. The fix is to properly torque the battery cover to 10 ft lbs. I did that proactively and we’ve not had any issues whatsoever. I would not hesitate to purchase. Just make sure you confirm your drilled pattern of your slide and that you order the right sight. The Romeo 1 and the Romeo 1 Pro have different screw patterns. The Pro adopted the same screw pattern of the Deltapoint after it one the US M17/M18 contract.

If you are unsure here is a good picture.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All...

Just an update.

I ordered the SIG Romeo1 Pro.

A word of caution though, when I added the site to my cart at Primary Arms it was listed at $319.99. When I checked out it had jumped to $399.99. Called customer support and they fixed it, but it appears that price is no longer available today.

Again, thanks all for the input. Now I need a holster Big Grin I'll address that in a new thread.

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
All...

Thank you.

DaBigBR... What other optic is that much better than a Romeo1 Pro that I would be disappointed? I understand the RMR is virtually indestructible but has a very small window and the Delta Point Pro has a little larger glass. Both are considerably more expensive for someone who is trying this new tech for the first time.

I am trying to stay below $400 all in (tax and shipping).

With respect to Holosun, I am trying to avoid Chinese built. My understanding is that the Romeo1's are made in the USA.

Again... All, thanks for the input.

My understanding on the Romeo 1 Pro is they were designed here and made in Asia (but not China). I suspect this is a way for Sig to put "USA" on it and hope people don't read farther.

I don't have an opinion on the Romeo 1 Pro as I haven't seen a thorough review from somebody I trust, but I think at the $400 street price, the RMR, DPP, and Holosun products are all a better call. At $320? Maybe it makes more sense. Not having to use an adapter plate is probably a plus, as well. Either way, most people probably aren't going to use most optics hard enough to break them.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DaBigBR...

After hunting for several days, I have found only 1 source as to were these are made/assembled. It looks as though it is the Philippines. That is not China and good enough for me.

I'll know for sure when I get the site and can look at the box.

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
I have a Romeo 3 Max on my desk and it appears it was made in Japan. For what that's worth.

Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
I have R1 Pro's on my CO guns and they get a lot of use. They have been reliable, and reasonable on battery life.
I have 6 MOA's so that make it a bit easier to find the dot, but the key is just practice and dry fire. For me, a revelation came when I learned to just shoot both eyes open, and fully target focused. I learned to see the spot I want to hit, and then the dot gets where I want it to be and bang. If it is a close big target, the dot is a blur, but a far partial, and you let it settle.
Just hang in there and dry fire - the index will come.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well... Because I am such an anal guy and like options, I also ordered a Deltapoint Pro NV today.

Both it and the Romeo1 Pro will arrive on Monday. I will look at them both and return 1 (probably the SIG, but I like the idea of longer battery life and the rear site notch).

Pushing me towards the DPP is the great reviews, the ease of battery changes, use of a common battery (common with a majority of my rifle red dots), and the Lifetime and Transferable Guarantee (called Leupold to confirm this).

So... I guess I am undecided again Wink

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
If you are worried about not having the notch at the rear of the dot sight. Galloway makes a inexpensive option.

https://gallowayprecision.com/...lta-point-pro-sights

I have both optics and they have both been pretty good. I have many thousands of round of 9mm on multiple dots of each of the DPP and the R1P.
The only failure was the R1P would not hold the zero. I sent it in for warranty and they sent a new one back.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post