SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Observations about P229-1 9mm 15 round magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Observations about P229-1 9mm 15 round magazines Login/Join 
Picture of Laity1
posted
When I got my E29R-9-LEGION it came with three magazines.
I went to the store where I bought the gun to buy more magazines. I bought all they had in stock. 4 pcs.
One of the packages was a PE bag with a magazine just like the ones that came with the gun.
The other three came packaged in a nice retail box with a clear clamshell-like inner packaging. These magazines:
1. Were nicely oiled.
2. Have MADE IN ITALY marking stamped on the tube.
3. Have an injection mold datecode wheel on the magazine floorplate. The datecode on these is 2-18 (February 2018).

Both types work fine in the gun. However, the MADE IN ITALY magazines are significantly easier to load in the 15th round. For this reason, I prefer the MADE IN ITALY parts.

Posts: 16 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, SIG now put them mags in fancy packaging. But, they are no different than previous mags in plastic bags. Mec-Gar is still Mec-Gar. Even the Checkmate 229-1 mags are GTG.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
Thanks 12131!
I checked out Mec-Gar website. I didn't know this company. I was surprised they didn't list a 15-round capacity magazine... only 10 & 17.
Prices better than what I paid ($53)!

Posts: 16 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 26, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
be careful and learn not everybody notes if its a 229-1 mag.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
Thank you hrcjon!

posted Hide Post
And Greg Cote is your friend!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Laity1:
Thanks 12131!
I checked out Mec-Gar website. I didn't know this company. I was surprised they didn't list a 15-round capacity magazine... only 10 & 17.

Per contract with SIG, Mec-Gar is not allowed to make the aftermarket mag with the same capacity (15-rd) as the factory mag they make for SIG. That is why their aftermarket mag is 17-rounder (same main body with the PLUS 2 extended base).

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Laity1
posted Hide Post
Thanks again 12131!
So .. Mec-Gar produces the 15-rd but it only sells through Sig channels?
I may buy a 10-rd for visits to the city (Chicago) or a 17-rd for my bedside safe.
Being in manufacturing, I remain curious about the not MADE IN ITALY (presumably made in USA) versions.
When I unboxed my new gun at home I found plastic flash inside the case with the gun that I traced (only by geometry) to the magazine floor plate. I could not match it to a specific magazine. The plastic flash (I still have in a ziploc bag) didn't affect my impression of my gun but I noticed it. I have a background in quality control.

posted Hide Post
I don't know if he's a friend or a dependent. I've probably spent as much money with him as I gave Mattel for my daughter's Barbie's.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Thanks 12131!

Per contract with SIG, Mec-Gar is not allowed to make the aftermarket mag with the same capacity (15-rd) as the factory mag they make for SIG. That is why their aftermarket mag is 17-rounder (same main body with the PLUS 2 extended base).

So a guy could buy the MecGar 17rd and then buy some replacement P229 baseplates and have themselves a MecGar 15 rounder?

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaspipes:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Thanks 12131!

So a guy could buy the MecGar 17rd and then buy some replacement P229 baseplates and have themselves a MecGar 15 rounder?

Yeah, a guy can do anything he wants. He's not Mec-Gar.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks 12131!

Mecgar makes the mags for the magazines that come in a lot of factory pistols...… CZ, Beretta, and many others. They are all GTG

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post