SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So who likes their Ruger P89?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So who likes their Ruger P89? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Or maybe you do not like yours. Tell me please Cool

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19159 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a p95 that I’ve had for a very long time, I’ve shotnit wuite a bit and it’s spent most of its life in my truck or in a go bag. Good gun, it’s been 100% reliable for me.

Not sure why I posted all that since it’s not a p89. Oh well.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own a Ruger P85, I have nothing but good to say about it. It is tough, has been 100% reliable and reasonably accurate.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P95 that`s getting a lot of holster wear , and also a P89 both guns have been flawless . I use a older vintage black basket weave thumb brake .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The are horses or maybe even better mules.... tough as can be and very well made... big full size service pistol.

I don't shoot mine very often (I have two) but the stainless decock only ones are are the way to go.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P85. Big and crude. Couldn't hit a barn while standing inside with it.

In center fire autos there is ALWAYS a better choice than Ruger.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've kept a P 85 as a truck gun for 15 yrs, its a little heavy for CCW. Take it to the range often and has never failed to go bang and shoots everything I feed it.Its Fugly for sure but makes a great beater gun, if I see another one for around $300 I may be tempted.Only recently started bringing it inside at night because of a robo call from local PD about car burglaries in the area

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
So who likes their Ruger P89?

I wish I had never sold mine. If I see another out and about somewhere, I'll snap it up.

It wasn't sexy, it wasn't gorgeous. But it ate everything I fed it, and it NEVER failed.

I still kick myself routinely for getting rid of it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Not mine, but a P89 was one of my Brother's first handguns.

He brings it shooting every time, we go, even though he has newer, more expensive handguns.

I often load the magazine with 6 or 7 different types of bullets, to see if it will fail.

It has never, I mean never failed. It is not abused and he does clean it after every outing.

This will be the last handgun my Brother will ever part with. I have dibs on it, if he decides to sell it.

The P89 just keeps going and going and going.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MidWesternBoy
posted Hide Post
Got a KP94DC that shoots and handles great!
Wouldn't want to EDC it but the tank like reputation of the P series Rugers is well deserved.
I think they are an under-rated value.

—————————————————-
Rights do not require a need for them to be demonstrated. Otherwise they would be privileges.

Posts: 24 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: December 07, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
So who likes their Ruger P89?

I wish I had never sold mine. If I see another out and about somewhere, I'll snap it up.

It wasn't sexy, it wasn't gorgeous. But it ate everything I fed it, and it NEVER failed.

I still kick myself routinely for getting rid of it.

I agree one-hundred percent and am in the same boat!!

Iv'e got a P85 and would like to pick up another 89.

I got rid of a P89X - it was a 9mm Luger with an extra barrel and spring for 30 Luger.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Neat! I'd not heard of those until today. This thread prompted me to surf GB for a few minutes.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine. It is a solid platform and a tough gun you don't mind getting tough with. I really don't think you can wear one out unless you really abuse it and even then. I got a used one and replaced all of the springs with new ones and it runs like a top.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my P89DC since the early ‘90’s. The only two times it ever failed was due to my error; once was a stovepipe that I induced by limp-wristing it and the other was a failure to feed because I failed to fully seat a magazine during a speed reload in a match. Yes, I used it in matches. It was plenty accurate for that, and I also carried it concealed for several years. The P89 is big and clunky, but utterly reliable with any ammo and proper handling. I would never part with my P89, despite having numerous Sigs, Glocks, and an HK. It’s not fancy, but it always goes bang; that’s the most important quality of any firearm at any price. Wink

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P89. The quite possibly ugliest gun I have ever fired in my life. Is also one my favorite uncles prized handguns. He’s had that thing for like 30 years. And it still goes bang. He’s named the gun old reliable. Me personally. I can’t stand the gun. But my uncle Pat. Don’t dump on his old Ruger.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have the original P85. My first auto. Never failed. I’ll never sell it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're simply an exceptional value. And with the later production runs of P89s' Ruger changed the barrel/slide fit, significantly increasing their accuracy.

Exceptionally durable, reliable, and surprisingly ergonomic (again, especially later production runs with thier revised safety/decocker levers). My 2007 production piece is an absolute tack-driver to boot. I've used it for concealed carry, IDPA and home defense. One of my "never to get rid of" pistols.

Best, Jon

Posts: 995 | Location: Auburn, WA USA | Registered: June 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A P85 MK 2 was my second handgun. It did what it was supposed to do. Not pretty. But form follows function as has been said.

The P85s and P89s have been popping up a bit more lately. Cheap, too. Haven't seen one for more than $300. I recently scored a LNIB Ruger P90 with the case, paperwork and 2 mags for $300. I'm very pleased with it. Very accurate.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P89 has 400,000 trouble free miles on it. (truck gun)

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh? 4000, 40,000 or 400,000? Oh, I see...truck miles and not rounds.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post