SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need a thin pistol sleeve... recommendations ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a thin pistol sleeve... recommendations ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I would like to see if there exists pistol sleeves that are thin but flexible. Not thin as in a sheet of nylon, but not thick like a "pistol rug". Those rugs eat up lots of space in the range bag. The reason is my range bag is a tool bag. I've never sprung for a fancy range bag with built-in pistol slots. I like the tool bag, but my pistol rugs are just too bulky.

Any ideas or recommendations appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a seamstress make up a few heavy cordura "envelopes" that closed with Velcro when I was transporting multiple pistols. Very low bulk and she did not charge me very much to do this. I then put a layer of foam on the bottom of a Rubbermaid tool box and laid the envelopes on the foam. Then another layer of foam and more envelopes. Often carried 6 pistols this way. Bonus: The tool box top had multiple small compartments closed by a transparent lid which hauled ear plugs and other small stuff. The tray for the box carried lots of stuff, too. Want to get really fancy? Embroider your name and gun model on the envelopes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Remora holster for the sleeve in my bags, and the holster is there as an extra if I need it. I often use other holsters than a remora, but there's always something with the pistol that can be used if needed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I use a camera bag for my rangebag, so I know what you mean. I made up a couple gunsocks out of wool felt. Fairly easy project. Just enough protection without the bulk of a zippered gunrug.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Here's a commercial version if your sewing skills are rusty...

Bore Stores
Tourbon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Men's large tube socks will work.

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Bore Stores pouches are pretty thin, but provide enough protection to pile guns on top of each other; that’s what I use in a safe. I write the gun ID on the pouches with a large felt-tipped marker.

For super thin, though, Ziploc freezer bags will prevent scratches if everything is handled carefully and not used for anything huge and extra heavy. Plastic bags also work fine if they’re alternated with Bore Stores pouches.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Borestores...check them out on EBay..they work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bore-S...f:g:U5kAAOSwXYtYzcWl
Bob

Posts: 367 | Location: Williamsburg, VA,  | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian87:
Borestores...check them out on EBay..they work. Come in small, medium, large...inexpensive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bore-S...f:g:U5kAAOSwXYtYzcWl
Bob

Posts: 367 | Location: Williamsburg, VA,  | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy used guns and run them hard, so a few extra scratches mean nothing I just toss pistols in piled on top of each other and move out.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my wife's cloth bags that come with her shoes and hand bags. So what that they carry fancy names; Prada, jimmy choo, etc

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Crown Royal bags.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
Allen Pistol Socks. Same as Tourbon, except made in USA.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
What I use are by Custom Leathercraft, their 1100 series zippered flat bags. Originally designed for tool belt use for miscellaneous 'stuff' that could be needed by a construction worker. Neither leather or custom. Instead made of canvas/nylon fabric with a denser, more impervious synthetic liner on the inside face. Sold as a 3-pack in differing sizes. Around $7 for the pack. The local Fred Meyer chain (part of Kroger) sometimes sells them; Amazon carries them as well.

EDIT:

The largest of the 3-pack, about 9"x7"; holds my MOS G19 just fine.

The largest of the three will fit just about any semi-auto with a barrel 4.5" or smaller. Will fit my Mk25, G17 and SP-01 Tactical. The mid size works for most subcompacts like the G26, PPK or Springfield XDS. The smallest I use for mouse guns like the NAA Guardian and Beretta 21. Comes with plastic clips to fasten to a belt, carabiner or hook; I cut 'em off, along with the metal zipper pull and add a paracord pull instead. Just hate the sound of zipper jingle.

They used to sell a two-pack with larger pouches; the smaller of the two is ideal for Beretta 92s, L-frame revolvers, SIG X-Fives, G34s and the like. The larger one I use for my oddball sized guns like my 7 3/8" long barreled Buck Mark...with UltraDot optic mounted. I could use more of these, but it appears that they've been discontinued. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post