SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Top 10 Shooting "Don'ts"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Top 10 Shooting "Don'ts" Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Since the conversation has drifted to gear, I can shoot everything I pick up to some degree of speed and accuracy.

But, it's not the gear. It's hard work, lots of dry fire and skill.

Are there guns that I don't shoot as well as others? Yep, absolutely. Are there handguns that I could take over a small island with? Absolutely. But, simply handing someone an XYZ handgun and "see their groups cut in half" is in no way qualification of one gun being better than the other.

It is a qualification of some guns have characteristics that you suck less with them. Generally, that is a trigger system that you can mash the shit out of and it not penalize you that much. The trigger being nothing more than an on/off switch.

I think we're saying the same thing?

Not every gun works well for everyone. I used to do adaptive shooting instruction. Gear in that case matters more than anything else. We used very configurable air rifles that I could fit to almost anyone.

The opposite is true as well. If you're a 5' 11" male with medium to large sized hands, virtually every gun will fit you well because you're the target audience. Gear matters less.

But I've also taken a woman shooting a J-frame and handed her my 1911 or a MOS Glock and watched her go from frustration to solid shooting. The trigger, grip, and sights matter a lot especially for someone not in the "shooting demographic".

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
something that bothers me is this idea of a "carry rotation" . Unless they are all Glocks or revolvers, you WILL lose valuable time when the shit hits the fan because you have to give a thought to today's manual of arms. Pick one, or two, and always and only carry those. Shoot the crap out of them until they are second nature. Shoot all of your other cool stuff at the range.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Don't even think about listening to the guy at the range who offers you advise and says, "You won't find anyone who knows more about guns than me." or "You won't find anyone who is a better shot than me."

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't shoot anyone else's reloads,

but I don't think I can mandate that for all other shooters

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Never offer unsolicited advice on any topic other than safety.

If you want to be helpful, start off with something like, "hey bud, are you interested in a few tips?" Rather than diving into whatever five minute primer you've got.

Some folks are real defensive about their skill (or lack thereof) and some folks are just too arrogant to take advice. And some people just want to be left alone and shoot.

Starting the conversation off friendly, rather than diving right in with the (constructive) criticism usually sets the right tone.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"And some people just want to be left alone and shoot."

That!

If I am on the range I am working, training, testing, etc. I enjoy what I do, but nothing makes nightmares more than hearing a slide rack behind me while on the line.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post