SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Surprize Call from Sig CS - P239 with Defective Frame
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprize Call from Sig CS - P239 with Defective Frame Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I really, really tried not to post again on this thread. But it seems that the general trend of the comments are so egregious I feel I must at least offer some counter to the silliness that is going on.
So let's go over the net of everybody's opinion since I posted originally. Not a single person seems to think any of this is not OK...
1. Everyone thinks its ok for SIG to offer a lifetime warranty but under its terms offer you a completely different gun. Even when you bought the gun a day ago. SO you spend the big bucks and get a P210. Great gun. They discontinue it the day after you buy it and offer you a base P320 because at that point its what they want you to have. Its at "Sig's option" as noted in the warranty. Seriously. At that point the warranty is simply worthless. You can evaluate that for what its worth.
2. Everyone must think Sig are complete idiots in the business of machining frames. You do know they do this for a living. Everyday. You might know they make Pseries frames everyday. right? in lots of configurations? right. They switch between machines in batches right? If you have been making a specific frame like the 239 since 1996 and you have transitioned it between at least 3 (I can personally say) and probably 4 different generations of CNC machines you can make a new one. Yes it has setup time, yes it needs to be deburred and inspected and anodized, yes it costs money but WTF makes you think Sig can't make a batch of them. No its not reopening production which might include outsourced parts and other considerations. We are talking a frame they have made for a really, really long time. To say they can't is to say they are morons. Now I have no issue with the idea that they don't want to do it, but that get's back to my original issue, the warranty is junk if they won't actually fix your gun.
Not really looking to extend this discussion. But at its surface it should make everyone understand the warranty is pretty much not much. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well a replacement pistol in the form of a M11-A1 has arrived at my dealer. This is what Sig does under the limited warranty, repair or replace at their discretion. That’s the deal and I have to say that they have lived up to their end of the bargain in a totally professional and expeditious manner.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Writer by profession,
smartass by the
grace of God.

posted Hide Post
I'd go with the M11-A1.

It uses P229-1 magazines, and it's capable of more accuracy than most can take advantage of.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posts: 617 | Location: Beaverton, OR | Registered: April 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Too bad. I've put a lot of rounds through my P239 and it's been flawless, even survived a car break-in, where the thief didn't touch it. It's a little less rattle-prone since having it fully refinished in NP3.

When I've been in a warranty situation like this in the past, the manufacturer sent me to a local distributor to get a replacement off their shelf, no shipping or waiting involved.

Posts: 3514 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I really, really tried not to post again on this thread. But it seems that the general trend of the comments are so egregious I feel I must at least offer some counter to the silliness that is going on.
So let's go over the net of everybody's opinion since I posted originally. Not a single person seems to think any of this is not OK...
1. Everyone thinks its ok for SIG to offer a lifetime warranty but under its terms offer you a completely different gun. Even when you bought the gun a day ago. SO you spend the big bucks and get a P210. Great gun. They discontinue it the day after you buy it and offer you a base P320 because at that point its what they want you to have. Its at "Sig's option" as noted in the warranty. Seriously. At that point the warranty is simply worthless. You can evaluate that for what its worth.
2. Everyone must think Sig are complete idiots in the business of machining frames. You do know they do this for a living. Everyday. You might know they make Pseries frames everyday. right? in lots of configurations? right. They switch between machines in batches right? If you have been making a specific frame like the 239 since 1996 and you have transitioned it between at least 3 (I can personally say) and probably 4 different generations of CNC machines you can make a new one. Yes it has setup time, yes it needs to be deburred and inspected and anodized, yes it costs money but WTF makes you think Sig can't make a batch of them. No its not reopening production which might include outsourced parts and other considerations. We are talking a frame they have made for a really, really long time. To say they can't is to say they are morons. Now I have no issue with the idea that they don't want to do it, but that get's back to my original issue, the warranty is junk if they won't actually fix your gun.
Not really looking to extend this discussion. But at its surface it should make everyone understand the warranty is pretty much not much. FWIW>

I think we should apply this to all products. Sony fire up your Trititron line or you Walkman line since my 20+ year old product failed. I don't care if it costs you $300,000 to replicate a no longer produced product, I want an exact replacement, now!

It sucks that they have discontinued a very good gun, but they did. They aren't offering a 320 for a 210, that's a stupid comp. They are offering a $1,100 gun to replace a $900 one. He's getting a more than fair replacement.

No company is going waste the money to bring back into production a discontinued product, just not going to happen. It's too expensive.

=====

Mountain Walker. You'll love your new toy. It's one of my favorite all time SIGs. Enjoy!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20806 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news Mountain Walker - the M11 should be a heckuva replacement for your 239. I sold my .357 a few days ago. It was almost dry when I got it - and it rattled a little as mentioned before. I put good, thick lube (TW25 I think) on the frame and slide rails after cleaning it up thoroughly. The rattle was much improved, but still enough to bother my anal nature ... Wink. Picked up a new box from SIG and new grips and it sold within a few hours. Kinda miss it - so a 229 .357 is going to replace it. I noticed that this thread was missing something, a decent pic of a .357 239 ...

Posts: 425 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
my 239 used to be my backup gun, in .40. It rattled like a can full of rocks, shot like a lazer, and has yet, almost 20 years later, to break, bobble, or choke.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
my 239 used to be my backup gun, in .40. It rattled like a can full of rocks, shot like a lazer, and has yet, almost 20 years later, to break, bobble, or choke.
Good first hand information is very useful and hard to come by. It’s good to know what my .40 P239 is capable of. I consider it a good alternative to a Colt Commander(180gr @ 950fps). But for LE a second weapon in primary caliber.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gruntjim:
I'd go with the M11-A1.

It uses P229-1 magazines, and it's capable of more accuracy than most can take advantage of.
Jim, that was the choice I made, but they really left it completely open to any pistol they made. If I wanted one of the high price models, they would charge an upcharge fee. Even though the M11-A1 was more expensive gun, there was no charge. Customer Service was very friendly and helpful and very easy to deal with.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
WTF makes you think Sig can't make a batch of them. No its not reopening production which might include outsourced parts and other considerations. We are talking a frame they have made for a really, really long time. To say they can't is to say they are morons. Now I have no issue with the idea that they don't want to do it, but that get's back to my original issue, the warranty is junk if they won't actually fix your gun.

Anybody can do anything with enough time and resources.

I've walked the manufacturing floor in Pease. SIG would not have discontinued the P239 in the first place if it was worth their time to continue manufacturing that model.

We are talking about one frame here. SIG is going to lose more money pausing production to set up to make that one frame than the gun is worth. Certainly they'd lose less money offering the OP an already produced gun than making him one frame.

Could SIG run a whole batch once the machine was setup to run P239 frames? Sure. But then we're back in the same boat of the P239 not being the best use of resources for SIG. You run a batch of 500 frames, just so you can make one for the OP. Then you have to turn a profit on the other 499 frames or you just lost even more money. That means sourcing magazines which you already discontinued, barrels, grips, slides, etc. So now you have a small batch of warranty P239s that cost you $900 to produce. Who is going to buy a retail $1100+ P239 that you've already said you're discontinuing? That's throwing good money and time after bad.

Before we go any further, and assume terms that are not in effect, this is the warranty statement:

quote:
SIG SAUER warrants that the enclosed firearm was originally manufactured free of defects in material, workmanship and mechanical function. For the lifetime of the original purchaser, SIG SAUER agrees to correct any defect in the firearm for the original purchaser by repair, adjustment or replacement, at SIG SAUER’ option, with the same or comparable quality components (or by replacing the firearms at SIG SAUER’ option); provided, however, that the firearm is returned unloaded and freight prepaid to SIG SAUER at 18 Industrial Drive, Exeter, NH 03833.
Bold emphasis mine.

SIG clearly reserves the right to replace at its own option. It never promises an identical firearm of the same model. It's called a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" for a reason.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post