SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Surprize Call from Sig CS - P239 with Defective Frame
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprize Call from Sig CS - P239 with Defective Frame Login/Join 
posted
Recently sent in a P239 because grips didn't fit properly. Today, "Bo" called from Customer Service and said "the frame was out of spec" and they want to send me a brand new gun under warranty. Trouble is that they no longer make the P239. It appears that I can choose any gun I want in the same grade. I asked about a P225, M-11, and Bo said sure and also mentioned 226, 229, and 220. I guess I am headed to the Sig Dealer to look at various models. Customer Service wants me to choose within the week. Seems like the 225 is close to the 239, but M-11 seems interesting too.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’d opt towards the M11-A1 first with the 225-A1 as runner up..

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I call Customer Service.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!
That's a hard choice you have in front of you. Let us know which you pick.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news, sir - and good info. My recently-acquired 239 in .357 looks great but the slide is loose-ish on it. It has both vertical play and lateral play - it more or less flops, a little bit, from side to side... Maybe I need to contact them! If you don't mind me asking, did they inquire as to whether you are the original owner? Thanks!

Posts: 424 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geo,
I purchased gun new and it was registered with Sig at that time. The CS representative mentioned the date when I bought the gun. The gun was really in new condition with less than 200 rounds.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geo: While back, I read something written by Bruce Gray. He stated that it you are going to buy a P239 the 9mm was the better choice for those wishing to shoot them. He stated that the P239 pistols in 40SW loosened up very quickly and it was best to get a 9mm which could shoot lots of FMJ without much wear and then be fired limited amount with the 9mm defense loads. That might be what has happened to your P239 in 357Sig.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
P226 in 9MM, DA/SA.

Of all the options, it's a classic.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Agreed... if you don't have a 226, get one.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the P239 function ok? Was it just a grip problem?

If they're willing to give you a new firearm, take it, to be sure. What about the P239? If it functions well, will Sig allow you to keep it? Custom grips can be had.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
A while back, there was another member who had a P239 with the same problem as Mountain Walker, frame was out specs/grips didn't properly fit. Forgot what the exact outcome was with SIG, though, but definitely it was not "you can choose any SIG as a replacement." Nice choices to have. Cool

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guppy,
The offer is to "replace" the defective 239. It was not really usable because the flaw was in the web area and was very abrasive to shooters hand. It will be good for parts, except for the frame. Accordingly, the old pistol will have some value in their repair operations. They will still fix and service 239 pistols for the foreseeable future.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
A while back, there was another member who had a P239 with the same problem as Mountain Walker, frame was out specs/grips didn't properly fit. Forgot what the exact outcome was with SIG, though, but definitely it was not "you can choose any SIG as a replacement." Nice choices to have. Cool
So how close is the M-11 to the 228?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
So how close is the M-11 to the 228?

The M11-A1 is a simply a non-rail newer P229. By newer, I mean the frame is not same as the old P229(9) frame (magwell is wider to accommodate the newer 229-1 mag), and the upper assembly in completely different (new slide with the long eternal extractor, different barrel profile).

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I would go with the P225A1, because it is most like the P239 in size and role. But you really cannot go wrong with any of the choices.

On the down side, this seems to indicate that P239 production is really done, and there are no "spares" hanging around. There was a report earlier in 2018 of a government customer placing a small order for P239's which could have meant they had some on the shelf or that they could re-open the line if needed -- but it sounds like done is done.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:
I would go with the P225A1, because it is most like the P239 in size and role. But you really cannot go wrong with any of the choices.

On the down side, this seems to indicate that P239 production is really done, and there are no "spares" hanging around. There was a report earlier in 2018 of a government customer placing a small order for P239's which could have meant they had some on the shelf or that they could re-open the line if needed -- but it sounds like done is done.

That would be the detective unit of the Franklin County Sheriff's Office in Columbus, OH. https://www.tactical-life.com/...p226-p239-m400-guns/

Q

posted Hide Post
If sig cannot replace a defective frame on a 239 it must mean that effectively the lifetime warranty is really a lifetime replacement with current product warranty. How hard is it really to fire up a cnc machine and make a frame. This is truly bizarre behavior by SIG>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if they have a 9mm P229 SAS Gen 2 in-stock...you'll be happy with that.

Posts: 62 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get P225A. I had a P239 in 40 that I thought I liked until the P225A came out. As soon as I held one, I couldn't sell the P239 quick enough. I have a number of Sigs and my P225A is my favorite.

Posts: 749 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Ask them for a CZ-75, see what they say. Razz

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4616 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post