SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Surprize Call from Sig CS - P239 with Defective Frame
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprize Call from Sig CS - P239 with Defective Frame Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I passed on a mint used P239 9mm at my LGS last year. Perfect rails. Great price. I started reading that the P239 was going to go away and passed on it. It sold shortly thereafter. I had a lot of regrets simply because of the condition of that pistol; however, in hindsight, I did the right thing, it would seem. I'm already scared enough that I'll never be able to find an internal extractor for my older P220 and P228. Hopefully, I'll never need one.

Even if Sig could make a unique replacement P239, I don't know that I would even want it because its support now is simply zero. I just bought a 2002-made P226 and the support for it is refreshing!

As for your replacement choice, I agree that if you do not own a P226, that would be a great choice, but I've got to say, the P225-A1 CLASSIC is THE choice for carry. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jbourneidentity,

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
have you shot it enough. because I'm guessing based on my several examples, eventually it will...Smile

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with an M11-A1

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
If sig cannot replace a defective frame on a 239 it must mean that effectively the lifetime warranty is really a lifetime replacement with current product warranty. How hard is it really to fire up a cnc machine and make a frame. This is truly bizarre behavior by SIG>

I’m sure sig has better things to do with their time than to shut down one of their machines to replace whatever they are making on that machine with 1 item. I’m not an expert in the area, but I would assume it costs a company Quite a bit of money to shut down one of their Cnc machines that could be mass producing guns in order to make 1 single gun.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, wtf? That won't happen unless you are a Saudi oil prince.

Beretta replaced a purchased used and shot for years Cougar that the frame cracked for me. They were out of the Cougar game and offered me a 92FS. Seems beyond fair to me. YMMV

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have no issue if the pistol involved had been used and shot for "years". Heck for the record since you got the cougar used it isn't even in the warranty area we are discussing so I think Beretta did an outstanding thing and yes its beyond fair. But the 239 has not yet been out of production for even a year. It seems I am the exception to think that the SIG warranty might mean they will fix my actual gun, at least for some reasonable period. So I accumulate magazines, holsters and accessories for a specific gun and then when its frame breaks less than a day after I bought it, but after its been discontinued its A-OK that SIG offers me a completely different gun that uses none of the material I just accumulated for the original gun.
That just doesn't sit well with me. But obviously I am the minority.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The P225A is closest to your P239 if that's what you are looking for.

It is a great shooter, comes with G10 grips and a SRT.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
They use an industry standard cnc mill (Makino for the most part) and provided that someone at SIG has not done something totally stupid its pretty simple to get that mill to make a new frame.

And it's probably busy in use making parts for their current production guns. I dunno how much one of these CNC machines costs, but I suspect that it's not going to be sitting/lying dormant. Just because SIG has the equipment doesn't mean that any of it is actually available to use for a one-off. Moreover, SIG would have to finish that frame as well. Disruption in their anodizing processes and schedules for a one-off (assuming that they do anodizing on-site) I'd wager is likely a big deal as well.

Granted it would have been nice if SIG had fabricated a backstock of stripped frames to draw upon, but knowing them they probably would've just used them for a "commemorative tribute" limited edition or some such special run just to clear out the leftover P239 parts, then sell off the remaining crumbs to Numrich.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soggy, to reinforce you’re points, the cost of goods for a replacement P pistol is likely in the $600 range. Now, when you consider that my turn in 239 with bad frame can still be used for repair parts. Accordingly, real cost to Sig Sauer begins to look more like $400. Now that $400 expense seems more like a good business decision while still taking care of the customer.

Just to clear up a point, Sig is still servicing the 239 and told me so, but didn’t have frames. I think they are a good company acting responsibly.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with people that think this is the right path for a company to take. They do not have the part to fix it so they are offering you your choice of current firearms.

All of my dealings with Sig CS have been fair and I have been taken care of. That is why I continue to buy from this company, i know if i have an issue that they will make it right. That is all i can ask of a company.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my guns with the rail, so I would likely take a 229r over the M11. Whatever direction you go, it does seem like a fair offer to me as long as YOU are actually happy with the outcome.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig's willingness to replace an obsolete product is commendable. When my S&W shield cracked, not only would S&W not replace it as promised in their warranty, they tried to sell me a new one as a "replacement" at a higher cost than I could buy retail and told me it would be a good deal because they'd pay shipping.

There's definitely worse customer service out there than what Sig is offering in this case.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I contacted sigsauer customer service and Asked them to send my FFL A Sig M11-A1. They explained that they don’t keep them in stock but it will ship with the next production run of Sig M11-A1’s in 3-4 weeks.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
I think that it is not all that easy to fire up CNC milling machine. Lot of labor from very skilled people to produce a perfect in spec frame.

Not that it matters at all in this. but the above is just totally and completely incorrect. The point of a modern CNC mill is just what I noted. You put in the raw material, you tell it what to make and out comes the part. The kind of machines that SIG has (I've been there) don't require anything other than the correct computer code to make a frame. Now that wouldn't be true if we were making something new and unique, but they have been making these for quite a few years. If they wanted to, they can easily make frames. Other parts that might be cast or forged and outsourced not so much. But in any case they obviously are choosing not to make them.

I’m sorry, but you have absolutely no concept of what’s really involved, nor in how off base your assertion is.

It’s simply not practical, if impossible, to simply “fire up” a machine and relaunch an entire obsolete line, like at all.

-Bruce

I will agree with Bruce. I work in a machine shop with millions of dollars of machine and none of them are simply plug and play, not even close. All kinds of special fixtures to hold the material while you are machining. It would take hours and hours to set up a machine to make one frame assuming you still have all of the correct tooling. Then what? Now it’s raw machined so it has to be deburred and finished. It would make no sense to even try to make it.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well If we were on the starship Enterprise we could have Scotty make the frame in the replicator. Should only take a couple of minutes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Walker:
Today I contacted sigsauer customer service and Asked them to send my FFL A Sig M11-A1. They explained that they don’t keep them in stock but it will ship with the next production run of Sig M11-A1’s in 3-4 weeks.

Cool, Mountain Walker!
I’ve been following this thread/saga with much interest... sounds like exceptional CS from Sig! Smile

I learn more and more with each visit to this site. This coming Tuesday, I’ll visit my parents in Houston and go to the range with my 84 yo dad... I’m bringing my newly-acquired P229 (.40 S&W). ‘Can’t wait to shoot it!

So, which caliber did you go with?

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
229 in 40 is a very common LE turn in. I got a very fine example LE turn-in about 5 years ago. Sent it to Sig factory for cleaning and new sights. The 40SW in the 229 is pretty easy to shoot. The M11-A1 is mil spec and only 9mm Luger. Have fun with your Dad, experiences are the best things in life.

posted Hide Post
I actually got my P229 from a former deputy sheriff. In fact, he and I have that in common, both of us being former deputies for the same sheriff’s office, but under different sheriffs.
His time was in the 1980s, so I know he didn’t personally carry this model while on duty. Still, it may have been a former law enforcement firearm. I will say it’s very lightly used, wherever it originated.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I worked for a large Canadian manufacturer years back who learned a expensive lesson not useing their, already established kanban system to supply parts when needed. They tried to make their customers happy by producing 1 off parts as ordered. It didnt take them long to shut that down and remind their customers that the system applies to both ends of the process. Machine time and all that is involved can be quite expensive.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Very nice indeed. Looks like we both got lucky.