SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Those exotic Italian Target pistols…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those exotic Italian Target pistols… Login/Join 
posted
I was asked to post a thread on the Pardini GT9, so as I was taking pictures I decided to group some other exotic SAO pistols from Italy. I’m always posting about cool German handguns, as they are my favorites. However, some nice stuff was built in Italy over the years as well. While they won’t match a Korth Auto or Korriphila HSP from a build quality perspective, they are still some very well made handguns. I’ll briefly describe each with a few sentences and also list some basic stats. I’ll also include my particular example’s build date.

Unfortunately, the only pistol in this thread that’s still being manufactured is the Pardini, but its appearance has changed.

Pardini GT9

Caliber: 9x19
Action: Single action only
Unloaded weight: 38.0oz
Frame: Aluminum
Slide: Steel
Design: Locking block with tilting barrel
Date of manufacture: 2002 (BS)

The GT9 is the absolute smoothest pistol I own. Its incredibly slick with an extremely low bore axis, which allows it to point very naturally. The slide rides inside the frame, similar to a Sig P210 and CZ 75. Despite its aluminum frame, the GT9 weighs in at 38oz due to its thick barrel and slide. The ambi safety is perfectly weighted and the trigger is phenomenal. The Pardini is an easy pistol to shoot fast and well. Plus it looks cool as hell doing it. Without a doubt, it’s the best shooter of the bunch.

Benelli MP3S

Unloaded weight: 41.4oz
Frame: Steel
Design: Lever delayed blowback
Date of manufacture: 1996 (AL)

The Benelli MP3S is a very rare target shooting variant of the still rare B76. This beautiful pistol is very unique in its operation, but shoots very well with its 5.5” fixed barrel and barrel weight. The high quality blued finish is a real pleasure to look at. Only a couple hundred were ever made, with only a small fraction of those imported to the States.

Delta AR Top Gun

Caliber: 45ACP
Unloaded weight: 42.8oz
Design: Roller lock
Date of manufacture: 2003 (BT)

The Delta is definitely the highest quality pistol in this thread and probably the rarest. The design is that of a CZ 52, but stronger and infinitely more refined. The Delta is a heavy weight at just under 43oz empty. The trigger is adjustable in every way possible, but still can’t come close to matching the feel of the Pardini. The exotic looks are matched by a beautiful blued finish and high level of detail.

Beretta 92 Combat

Unloaded weight: 40.2oz
Frame: Aluminum
Design: Falling block
Date of manufacture: 2001 (BP)

The 92 Combat is very rarely seen in this country. Beretta didn’t build many of the Combat series and most of the examples imported were the 96 series in 40S&W. It features a barrel bushing to improve the accuracy and a frame mounted ambi safety. The trigger is good, but far from great. Despite its long sight radius, barrel weight and bushing, I find accuracy uninspiring.

Bernardelli Practical VB

Unloaded weight: 39.6oz
Design: Locked breech
Date of manufacture: 1994 (BD)

Like a couple others here, the The Practical VB is the target shooting of a service pistol. In this case, it’s the old Bernardelli P018. The VB has a very racy appearance with its barrel comp, large controls, sweeping beavertail, and magwell. Overall I find it a great shooter. Build quality isn’t bad, but definitely on the bottom of the list here. The VB is very seldom seen, especially outside of Italy.

So there you have it. We have five super rare pistols with similar purposes from the same country and generally built during the same time period. I find it fascinating that they all use different designs in an attempt to produce similar results. There’s even a blowback in there.

Hope you enjoyed the short read about these sexy Italian exotics. Smile

Please let me know what you think.

Cool

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Is your 92 Combat one of the Australian market imports? (I have one as well...used to have a pair. Concur with the assessment about accuracy being ho-hum).

I've been eyeballing a stainless P018 at a somewhat local shop. What do you do for magazines on the Bernardelli?

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wowzers. What a collection. Those are amazing. The Pardini is magnificent. Thanks for sharing these!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Italian sexiness! Thanks for posting!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Spectacular guns.

I have a Pardini GT45 and love it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Awesome! Is your 92 Combat one of the Australian market imports? (I have one as well...used to have a pair. Concur with the assessment about accuracy being ho-hum).

I've been eyeballing a stainless P018 at a somewhat local shop. What do you do for magazines on the Bernardelli?

I have several Bernardellis. Two Practical VBs, a P One, a P018, and a P018 Compact, so I have quite a few magazines laying around. Smile

Also, the Bernardellis were always carbon steel. That is a hard chrome finish you're referring to, much like my other Practical VB.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Ahh, yes. I see that now...wasn't apparent when I was looking at it.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thank you, bac1023, fascinating collection!

Do you have a lot of rounds through the Pardini? No problems?

How about your GT-45, WaterburyBob?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Thank you, bac1023, fascinating collection!

Do you have a lot of rounds through the Pardini? No problems?

How about your GT-45, WaterburyBob?

I’ve had it at least 10 years. I probably have a few thousand rounds through it. Never an issue. While it looks exotic, the design is fairly straightforward and it’s very well built.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Very beautiful collection, thanks for sharing.

Those are some amazing pistols

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the excellent photos and descriptions of these beautiful and interesting pistols! I find it interesting that all of these target pistols have a 1911 grip angle, or close. All of my pistols do too. .22 LR, .380, and 9mm.

The Pardini GT9 looks especially good to me. Among many other things, I like the fact that it doesn’t have an exaggerated thumb rest. I like to shoot with my left forefinger on the front of the trigger guard.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Badassic, thanks for posting. Very nice.

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it interesting that all of these target pistols have a 1911 grip angle, or close. .

The Pardini and the Benelli have more rake than a 1911. Bernardelli and Beretta are closer.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice Post.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome collection bac! Cleaning drool from my keyboard.

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Very sweet collection! Thanks for posting and making me drool.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. In my best Joker's voice,"where does he get those wonderful toys".

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As always you have incredible taste in firearms. I have been following your posts for years. I know you spend a lot of time on this hobby. Any thought on providing those of us that are less experienced some helpful hints on collecting? Maybe some background on how you started collecting and where to start, what to look for?

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I would love to find a Benelli MP3S to add to my collection. Yours is drop-dead nice!
I'm curious what do you think of the trigger DA/SA? Is it better than a standard Benelli of the same ilk? Trigger pull weight?
I know some come in SA only and without a decocker, I'd probably opt for that. Given the slim pickings, finding one would be like winning the lottery.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting bac.

I too, appreciate Italian firearms, but my collection is no where near extensive (or rare) as yours.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post