SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Square or round?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Square or round? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I'm looking at a nice Smith and Wesson model 10 but I've always kind of liked the round butt, although this particular example has a square butt. Which one do you all prefer and why, round or square?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Round looks so much better. I tend to think square feels better in my hand though. But who wants a square bottomed girl, right?

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer round because it fit my hand better, but I would LOVE an excellent condition Model 10 in either configuration. BTW, Herrett's makes a Shooting Star model that fits over the square frame and gives outstanding control. Or they used to, maybe they still do.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Prefer round butt but you can get some really nice roundish feeling grips for Square butts.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the round butt...and I did purchase a used 3-Inch with square butt. nice used police turn-in from down under.

Posts: 186 | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a Smith in nice shape for a good price, grab it! They are getting uncommon to rare. I prefer the Square butt on the K frame and round on the L frames. I have a model 10-5 and a 13-4 both with the square and they are about perfect for what they are.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think I'm gonna hold off and try to find a round one. Hard to locate a 4" pencil barrel round butt model 10 in excellent condition though!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the round butt in a snub nose and the square butt in 4-6 inch.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what I said in my previous post but I must say that I had a round butt model 66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel and it was sweet! It concealed better than my square butt 19-3 with the same barrel length.

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Personally the round butt points better for me. They conceal a bit better too.
I have a model 10-7 snubbie round butt that a friend talked me into keeping. I was thinking of selling it till I realized how few round butt revolvers I see for sale.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefer round butt feel and look.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Square butt....The iconic S&W revolver always had a square butt..model 15,19.27,28,29,66,686....All had square butts and target grips...THat makes them look so classic...

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

Posts: 777 | Location: NC | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Square on a 4" and round on a 2"

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Square butt on the heavy barrel 4 inch.
Round butt on the heavy barrel 3 inch.
Perhaps I should mention I prefer the heavy barrel models.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
I prefer round butt in S&W's, if available. Most times you have no choice though.

Below is a M10 of course. Wrong! It's a Model 12 RB 4" .38 Spl. Huh? Never catalogued, how can it be?

All factory. However, I dehorned it. Number of years ago, M12's were discontinued. Aluminum alloy frame, came in 2" RB and 4" SB. S&W used whatever parts they had for the Last Hurrah. Hence the bastard.

It weighs the same as a M36/M60 steel frame, but shoots like a M10.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Round or square, they all needed something to fill the gap between the grip and trigger guard. Whether it's wooden grips, pachmyers, a tyler T-grip, or whatever. Rounded gives more options. My issued revolvers on the Model 10 were square butt.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Round. You can make a round butt kinda square with grip choice, you can't go the other way.

Other than aesthetics I can't think of a single advantage of the square butt.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post