SIGforum
Sig Sauer P229R, I really love this pistol. *Video at 25 yards*

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4730003724

July 14, 2017, 08:40 PM
piedrarc
Sig Sauer P229R, I really love this pistol. *Video at 25 yards*
Balance, size, ergonomics......
So much in this pistol that I've overlooked for so long.

***Correction to the Bill Drill, all shots were in the - 0 area, not the -1.***

I stopped by the range for about an hour and continue to gain more appreciation for the 229.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click
July 14, 2017, 10:06 PM
BuddyChryst
Giving me the itch to shoot. Gonna have to check tomorrow's forecast. I have a trade-in P226 I haven't shot yet. I like the P229 in .40, can only imagine how soft a 9mm P226 is gonna be.

Nice shooting! Glad you're finding appreciation for the P229!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
July 14, 2017, 10:23 PM
DoctorSolo
Very good 25 yed shooting!
July 15, 2017, 06:34 AM
WRAM1
I really want to try the P229 in 9mm. I shoot a P228 frequently and really like it and used to shoot a P229 in .40 that was very nice. I think the P229 would be an exceptionally nice shooting pistol.
July 15, 2017, 08:04 AM
jljones
Your training is near complete.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

July 15, 2017, 08:19 AM
joatmonv
After my fire sale, I kept 3 pistols for carry. A Shield 45, P220 and a P229 in 9mm.
The 229 is my favorite. Older triple serial numbered refinished by CCR and she's a sweetheart.
Nice shooting.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
July 15, 2017, 02:08 PM
piedrarc
Thanks,

I had limited time, but moving from the 92 platform to the P-series has been fun.

My purpose for changing to the Sig is mainly carry. I want a gun I can carry, compete and train with. My requirement for this was it had to be DA/SA. I really wanted a compact 92, but after tinkering with the Sigs the adjustments are really minimal.
The deal killer for the 92's - the front sight design or lack of. Being part of the slide is just plain unacceptable to me.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click
July 15, 2017, 02:20 PM
joatmonv
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
Thanks,

I had limited time, but moving from the 92 platform to the P-series has been fun.

My purpose for changing to the Sig is mainly carry. I want a gun I can carry, compete and train with. My requirement for this was it had to be DA/SA. I really wanted a compact 92, but after tinkering with the Sigs the adjustments are really minimal.
The deal killer for the 92's - the front sight design or lack of. Being part of the slide is just plain unacceptable to me.

I get it. I do have a 92FS Brigadier and a 92G Vertec that are strictly range only. An additional 96G Elite 2 is on the way and that will be range only also.
Could I carry the Berettas? Probably but with the addition of some competition springs and work I've done on them, they're really not for carry.
The Sigs and the Shield fit the bill for that.

July 16, 2017, 07:27 AM
jljones
Give $20 for the Vertec.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

July 16, 2017, 10:14 AM
joatmonv
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Give $20 for the Vertec.

Times 25 and sure. Hahaha

July 16, 2017, 11:00 AM
dehughes
Very nice, piedrarc.

Quick question: How is the balance and recoil impulse of the P229 compared to the P226? I'm curious as to why you chose the P229 over the P226.

July 16, 2017, 03:54 PM
piedrarc
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Very nice, piedrarc.

Quick question: How is the balance and recoil impulse of the P229 compared to the P226? I'm curious as to why you chose the P229 over the P226.

Thanks.

P229 vs P226
Balance goes to the 229. In my opinion it's a great G19 sized gun with the TDA attributes.

Recoil - this is extremely interesting and has me puzzled. J.Jones and I have discussed this quite frequently since I've been on this 229 kick.
The standard P229 recoil spring seems to give good ejection and minimal recoil impulse with a wide variety of ammunition. 130 power factor reloaded match ammo to +p 124 gold dots. With proper grip pressure the gun tracks and returns effortlessly.

I generally have carried a mix of recoil springs to accommodate what I was shooting when it came to the M&P, P320, and P226. Right now I using the standard braided recoil spring in the P229 and it does a great job with all types of ammo. Something I haven't been able to do till now.

It's a winner and I'm hoping my findings will get better with time.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click
July 16, 2017, 04:49 PM
dehughes
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Very nice, piedrarc.

Thanks.

P229 vs P226
Balance goes to the 229. In my opinion it's a great G19 sized gun with the TDA attributes.

Recoil - this is extremely interesting and has me puzzled. J.Jones and I have discussed this quite frequently since I've been on this 229 kick.
The standard P229 recoil spring seems to give good ejection and minimal recoil impulse with a wide variety of ammunition. 130 power factor reloaded match ammo to +p 124 gold dots. With proper grip pressure the gun tracks and returns effortlessly.

I generally have carried a mix of recoil springs to accommodate what I was shooting when it came to the M&P, P320, and P226. Right now I using the standard braided recoil spring in the P229 and it does a great job with all types of ammo. Something I haven't been able to do till now.

It's a winner and I'm hoping my findings will get better with time.

Interesting. I have a P229R in 9mm that I'm considering making my "one and only", main-focus gun. The S&W 2.0 is intriguing, but I keep coming back to my P229 as it just feels "right" to me.

I asked about the P229/P226 because I've heard such great things about the P226 that I think, "If I like my P229 this much, maybe I'll like the P226 even better!" However, I know that better is often he enemy of good, so maybe I should stop thinking and tinkering, and just settle on a gun ans shoot the heck out of it. One of those deals where I could buy a different gun, or invest more into this P229 (Burke, Gray Guns, etc....)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dehughes,