SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 ? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Anyone know how to tell when a U693 xxx could be made? Could not find it on theserial No. thread.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
Anyone know how to tell when a U693 xxx could be made? Could not find it on theserial No. thread.

Looks like a 2004 production, based on the serial # list.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Son just bought it at a local Gun Show Sunday. Dealer said it was probably only a couple of years old. It looks nearly new.

SigP229R

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Son just bought it at a local Gun Show Sunday. Dealer said it was probably only a couple of years old. It looks nearly new.

There are plenty of new old stock guns that have been sitting in their owners' safes for years. New guns that have been sitting around for years unmolested, but well protected from the environment, will still look as new as the day they were made. I highly doubt the dealer knew what he was talking about. That serial # is not "a couple of years old".
Gun show dealers, in general, are the worst sources of useful info, right up there with the Cabelas/GM gun clerks.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Could be right, Son said it was in a red cardboard box but had band around grip.. It's possible it is a CPO from a turn in of some LEA that was never issued and is a CPO. Anyway thanks for the assist.

SigP229R

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could be right, Son said it was in a red cardboard box but had band around grip.. It's possible it is a CPO from a turn in of some LEA that was never issued and is a CPO. Anyway thanks for the assist.

Yup. CPO gun will have the label indicating the date of CPO, which is much later than the original manufacturing date. The dealer must have looked at the label and said what he said.

Q

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
CPO guns are now refinished entirely including re-anodizing the frame and Nitroning the barrel. Inspect the gun closely and look for nicks or small scratches under the finish on the frame. Nicks in the magwell that are anodized over are tell tale signs that it wasn't an un-issued gun but a gun that has been refinished. Another way to tell is what color is barrel hood? Barrels from that era should have a an unfinished hood and be otherwise shinny blue. The caliber writing should be small and in italics. If the barrel is a uniform matte black then it's been refinished by Sig.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
CPO guns are now refinished entirely including re-anodizing the frame and Nitroning the barrel......

Point of curiosity. Any idea why Sig will now re-anodize the frame, but only on CPO's? It's my understanding they would not perform this service for customer pistols.

Their current Nitron Finish service still states:

"Refinish your stainless steel slide with our Nitron finish or re-blue your carbon steel slide. (WE DO NOT REFINISH FRAMES.)"

Seems like a general statement to ward off questions though, since the aluminum alloy frames are anodized and not Nitron finished.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Not sure but my recent CPO purchase proves that they do. All of the CPO's I inspected had similar findings.

note the small blemish at the right rear of the bevertail that has been anodized over

The magwell which is hard to get an accurate image of

The and old style barrel refinished in Nitron

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that is re-anodized but is some form of coating.
They have done this in the past, even when clearly stating the frames were "not refinished" in the initial CPO guns years ago (although some clearly were).
They eventually changed the wording to not re-anodized.

It is, however, also possible that they may allow some nicks to be in the frames prior to the original anodizing process.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
I don't believe that is re-anodized but is some form of coating.
They have done this in the past, even when clearly stating the frames were "not refinished" in the initial CPO guns years ago (although some clearly were).
They eventually changed the wording to not re-anodized.

It is, however, also possible that they may allow some nicks to be in the frames prior to the original anodizing process.

I have owned 30+ Sigs plus countless other guns. I am very familiar with Sig's anodizing in both look and feel...It's 100% anodizing. There's no way they would allow a gun with this many nicks in the magwell. I have only shot 15 rounds so no way it was me.