SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Certified P226 E2 and P229R from CDNN in .40 S&W and .357 Sig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Certified P226 E2 and P229R from CDNN in .40 S&W and .357 Sig Login/Join 
posted
I just purchased a certified Red Box P226R E2 in .357 Sig from CDNN here in TX (they seem to have a lot right now?). The gun looks brand new except for some wear on the barrel lock up hood. It'll be a while before I shoot it, but if anyone shoots either the P229 or P226 in .357 Sig (I now have both) I'd appreciate your comments on recoil. How much more than 9mm should I expect? I thought I'd give the .357 Sig a shot since all the YouTube pundits say the .357 Sig is a dead cartridge and I got a deal on 250 rounds of new Gold Dots. I read several reports that Texas DPS is converting their .357 Sigs to P320s in 9mm. I was hoping to get one of their older guns, but nothing seems to have hit the market yet. Anyone know what the plans are with these trade ins? The news articles about the conversion were not very informational.
Thanks
Chris

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just tested me P229 in 357sig. I also fired my 229 in 40 and then followed it with my 228 in 9mm. The 357 seemed to have a little bite to it but was manageable and accurate. The 40cal is what I carried for years on duty. I do prefer that round vs 357. The 228 in 9mm was deadly accurate fun to shoot. I carry the 229 in 40 for EDC.

Posts: 50 | Location: Bluffton, SC | Registered: March 29, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris - Let us know how the gun shoots. I also have been very tempted to pick up the P226 in 357 Sig. I have been checking the auction sights for a 357 upper for my P226 Elite in .40. Based on the prices I have seen for the uppers, it may be better to spend another $80-$100 and get one of the CPO pistols. Keep us informed please.

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are great buys. Just bought a red box 224 from CDNN in Nov

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:
Chris - Let us know how the gun shoots. I also have been very tempted to pick up the P226 in 357 Sig. I have been checking the auction sights for a 357 upper for my P226 Elite in .40. Based on the prices I have seen for the uppers, it may be better to spend another $80-$100 and get one of the CPO pistols. Keep us informed please.

Won’t a barrel swap do the trick?

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220CDAK:
quote:
Originally posted by randyman:

Won’t a barrel swap do the trick?

Yep, .40 to .357 or vice versa is just a barrel change. The POA / POI will also be different.

Posts: 346 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the P226 out to the range today. 30 rounds through it. Too much gun for me right now, maybe ever. But it's a certified Sig gun so I'll clean it up and keep it.

The other two .357 Sig pistols I have will be going to my LGS for consignment. Looks like I made a bad investment letting my curiosity and lack of analysis get my wallet in overdrive.

Thanks for all who commented.

Chris

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give it some time. I like my Sig 357. Work on your grip and take your time. I am recoil sensitive as well.

What ammo are you using. Some are definitely hotter than others. For example, Underwood is full powered. I have shot Speer Lawman with no issues.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ZSMICHAEL,
I was shooting Winchester White box (I bought two boxes at Wally World after I heard of the ammo sale; it was all they had left in handgun ammo) 125 FMJ. I have 250 rounds of gold Dot that I bought on speculation a year ago that was offered at a great price. I'll try that and a better grip as you suggested.

Thanks
Chris

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I just bought a P229 in .357 Sig and was pleasantly surprised with the recoil. It was pretty mild compared to my expectations for sure. It is a pleasure to shoot.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the 357SIG is a different beast in the 226ST or the P320FS.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued a P229 357 Sig for twelve years. In my opinion, the recoil is slightly less than 40S&W but the muzzle report is harsh. Try it again with double hearing protection (foam plugs and muffs).

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
cporfe, sorry you did not like it... I just recently decided to go the 357 sig route. I was going to post you will be fine with the P226 in the 357.... it does have a lot more snap (that's the best I can do to explain) than the 9mm but at least for me manageable with practice...

granted the 357 will not be something I will go to the range and shoot a lot but I still like it.. in fact I now carry a P239 in that caliber and it really has some more serious snap.. I suggest you just work on it some.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I bought a Used P226R I saw and Jumped on it due to losing out on another fine Beretta 40 due to hesitation. Once shooting it and falling in love I was $150 away from a 357Sig. I had to - and I truly enjoy both calibers.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was impressed with the P229 in .40. It shot smooth and recoil was pretty tame.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post