SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Oppurtunity to purchase Colt Mark IV Nickel (?) .38 Super
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oppurtunity to purchase Colt Mark IV Nickel (?) .38 Super Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
A couple of years ago my former boss, now retired, who is really not into guns at all, purchased a Colt 1911 .38 Super. I fondled and drooled over it at the time and told him if you ever want to sell it, please put me at the top of the list. He retired a few months later and I made him a holster for it as a retirement gift, knowing he'd never carry it but it would go nice. This is the holster, but not the Colt.

Fast forward a couple of years and he came into the office yesterday to visit. As he was leaving I asked him if he'd be interested in selling it. I caught him off guard but I figured he'd give it some consideration. I know what he paid for it at the time (not going to say yet) and I think he got an excellent deal to say the least. I emailed him again today and he said he would let it go. He shot me a price which I know is either $300 or $400 more than he paid. I don't begrudge him for that and from what I can tell, I think it would still be a very fair price to say the least.

This is a full size Gov't model. It's either bright stainless or polished nickel. He told me it was the latter but as little as he knows about guns, I can't be 100% certain, though it is likely, it might say on the box. He has not fired it and says it had not been fired when he bought it. I can say it was perfect in every way. It had either the faux pearl grips or ivory/faux ivory with the gold Colt medalion IIRC. Pretty sure it was just like this -

Frankly, if it's stainless and not nickel or the grips are flat white vs the pearl, I can't imagine it makes a huge difference in the value, witin a couple hundred dollars anyway.

I've seen some that sold on Gunbroker but they appear to have other features, gold trim, etc. the Mark IVs are fewer and far between, at least with these types of grips and labeled as nickel.

I replied to his asking price with an offer $100 less. I got Crickets. I may just have to wait until Monday to see if he shows up with the gun as he said he would.

What would you say a median price, 2 mags, original plastic case should be on this pistol?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
$750-800. But I am a cheap SOB.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
After finding this online I now remember this was the one.

A few price references lead me to believe the MSRP is/was $1,062 which if that's the case, he probably slightly overpaid when he bought it for $1,000. I would have overpaid at $1,100 which is what I was prepared to give him but he came in at $1,400. I knew that was getting up there and if it was worth that, he wouldn't have stole it in the first place from the guy he bought it from. He bought a matching pair of CZs at the time and paid pretty close to full retail for them. Should have known this would be no different.

But, I wanted it and it was low hanging fruit so I told him $1300 done deal. He replied back with a curt "no thanks". It's clear he knew I wanted it and was trying to take advantage of that. True to form based on his years of me working for him.

Now I'm on a quest to find one, preferably new if they're still available. I'm doubly motivated, one to scratch this Colt itch and two to show him what I can really buy one for.

Now that I have the SKU I can get busy.

Armfel you are probably closer to reality than I originally thought.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
As to the faux pearl grips, I don't think they are original to the gun, at least that is not what came on my bright stainless Super 38. Grips like that used to be available from a couple manufacturers, were not that expensive, and for many people don't add value to the gun. I think the original grips were checkered wood with no medallion, probably rosewood. I'd ask him exactly what grips are available.

Edited to add: just checked the 2011 catalog, and looks like that gun (the second one you pictured) came with "Double Diamond Rosewood Grips".

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
As someone who follows .38 Supers on a few different sites, I think you will be able to find one for less.

The full size are pulling less $ than the Commander length, or at least that has been my experience.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that CDNN was selling a model like that several years ago as a remaindered item at a good discount. With the mother of pimp grips, even. I like shiny .38 Supers (must have something to do with living on the mexico border for the last 17 years) but couldn't buy one at the time. I had a Rock Island bright chrome .38 super for a while. Hard as heck to use the sights on a sunny day.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
As someone who follows .38 Supers on a few different sites, I think you will be able to find one for less.

The full size are pulling less $ than the Commander length, or at least that has been my experience.

true this,

38 Super Commanders sell fast and bring a premium,

and would likely bring his asking price or a bit better online, or in this area,

just did a quick completed auction search on gunbroker (colt 38 nickel) and got a bunch of pimped out models,

onein bright stainless, lnib, (wood grips) sold for 1075 back in may,

640666011 is the auction number

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You want to be a New Orleans pimp?

Seriously, those are nice guns. I've always wanted a 1911 in .38 Super.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, It is a .38 Super. Everybody needs an extra...

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Looks like bright polished stainless to me. They are nice.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3205 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post