SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Compact 9mm Shootout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compact 9mm Shootout Login/Join 
Picture of Poppy6x
posted
It seems like every firearm manufacturer is rolling out a product to compete head to head with the ubiquitous Glock G19. With the slowing of pistol sales it has become largely a zero sum game for manufacturers. Today, I went to the range with the intent of shooting many of these G19 competitors side by side and I offer my observations here.
Here is the list of pistols I shot:
Glock G19 Gen 5
Glock G19x
CZ P-10c
Canik TP9sf Elite
Sig P320 X-Carry

As for ergonomics I liked all of the pistols. I can't say that I preferred the ergos of one particular pistol the most. On this point I rate them all equal.
Trigger wise, I can say that everything being said about the CZ P-10c and the Canik are accurate. The Glocks are Glocks and while they have been improved they are still in last place. Don't get me wrong they are still more than acceptable but in a side by side comparison they fall behind the others. On the other hand I don't think enough is being said of the Sig P320 X-Carry trigger -- it is excellent and the clear winner in my view. In particular the straight trigger and the lack of protruding trigger safety made the Sig much more comfortable to shoot and shoot well.
While all have acceptable sights, my aging eyes much preferred the X-Ray Sights of the Sig.
The Sig was also a clear winner in the accuracy area. I was really surprised -- I was able to shoot tightest groups with the Sig. The others were pretty much all the same group. Groups with them were very good. I believe the claim Glock makes with the Gen 5 barrels is credible given that the Gen 5 shot better than my G19's in Gen 2,3 and 4 flavors. And, while the least expensive of the bunch, the Canik held it's own. It wins the prize for best value.
Bottom line, the P320 X-Carry was the winner for three reasons: it had the best trigger, the best sights, and (as a result) was the most accurate. This was the first outing for my new Sig X-Carry and the sights were dead on POA at 10 yards. All pistols ran 100% with no hiccups whatsoever. I was shooting Fiocchi 115 FMJ, BB 115 FMJ, Federal 124 HST, Speer 124 Gold Dots and Asym 124 JHP +P. (Yes, it was an expensive range session since I don't handload.)
Regarding concealed carry, the g19 is easiest to carry. While the dimensions of all except the G19x are very similar the G19 just feels smaller and easier to conceal. The Sig is bigger given the thick slide. I haven't put this to a real world test but i will to see if proves true. My preferred carry mode is IWB.
This is just one person's opinion of course but I thought I would share it with the group. The Sig surprised me.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. Always nice to see a range report.

FWIW, I carry a Gen4 G19 and P320 9mm Compact in Sparks VM-2 IWB's. Though slightly different, they carry the same.

Agree on the P320 trigger. In addition, I found the P320 to be a natural shooter. Very tolerant of bad inputs (thanks Jones).

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My 320X-Carry would agree with your assessment.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just returned from the range with my new p320 X Carry. Your observations about it are true! I just put through it some 400 rounds of 115 grain Remington @ 15yrds. But I must say that the G19.5 is as good as the X Carry save for that darn 1/2 moon opening at the bottom front of the grip.
PS: I could hardly get the 17th round in any of the 3 sig X Carry mags.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post