Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 229 Login/Join 
posted
Newbie here
Picked up a 229 on a whim serial #AC138XX IM GUESSING IS A ‘93 mfg. cal is 40 S&W. I’m a revolver guy so I know nothing about these pistols. I’d like some background information and value on this pistol. This d/SA fits my hand and I shoot it really well so I plan on keeping it. It is in excellent condition with the nitride finish. Comes with 2 12rd mags and grey plastic case. I’d post pics but don’t know how.
Thanks
Wilbur

Posts: 8 | Location: Wake Forest & Emerald Isle N. C. | Registered: March 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Late '92 / early '93 seems right. I have a similar 229 that I decided to modify somewhat.

I added aluminum grips to get a better feel as the old ones were cracked, a solid guide rod (it seemed like a good idea at the time), and a short reset trigger kit, to reduce how far the trigger is released before it is ready to fire again.

Yours should serve you well for many years. Welcome to the forum from Georgia.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and welcome to SF.
You got one very early P229, with what we'd call the Legacy slide (the original P229 slide with half height rear serrations, with the short extractor). Should have serial number on frame, slide, and barrel. Frame should be Made In Germany.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Value depends on condition. There are many P229s out there, so don't even think you will get rich on the gun. Market value may be around $500 or so. The P229 was designed to replace the P228 when 40 S&W became popular because the folded steel slide of the old SIGs could not handle the 40 S&W. You can shoot 357 SIG and 9mm Para in your gun with the proper barrel, although 9mm requires a conversion barrel.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are right on the money with serial # locations. Is this model prone to any problems.
Thanks
Wilbur

Posts: 8 | Location: Wake Forest & Emerald Isle N. C. | Registered: March 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The early P229s are some of the best SIGs. Don't expect any problems.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Since you are a revolver guy, one thing that might be new to you is lubing the slide rails, barrel, etc. It's highly recommended you get some grease. Field strip the gun and look for the wear marks and pay particular attention to those areas.

You can read more here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...30601935/m/908103701

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RobertFBurnett
posted Hide Post
My p229 .40 has been flawless in over 4,000 rounds.

Only problem is when I hear polymer framed people (nothing wrong with them, I own several in 9mm) say .40 is snappy when the SIG tames it so well. Smile

Lube it well and enjoy.

-RFB

Posts: 1430 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: January 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
If you could have only one SIG, you have one of the very best! I have several, though my earliest is a '96. Many of these guns are ex-LEO's as their departments switched from 40 to 9mm. The advice on value and care (grease things that slide and oil things that turn) is good, though I'd put the price for at $450 to $600 depending on condition for a DA/SA. DAK's tend to go for $100 less.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a good one. I'm a 229 9mm guy myself.

Read the link dsiets shared, I too believe in grease for SIGs.

Given the age of the pistol you may want to consider dropping a SIG parts kit into it. They are $23 on top gun supply and include:
•Recoil Spring
•Trigger Bar Spring
•Slide Catch Lever Spring
•Decocking Lever Spring
•Firing Pin Position Pin
•(4) Grip Screws

It replaces the high wear recoil spring which should be replaced every 5,000 rounds and several of the other heavily used springs in the pistol. Plus, you get nice new grip screws. Two possible friction points with the kit are trigger spring and the slide pin. SIG changed trigger springs from a "Bent" to a "Looped" trigger spring allegedly to mitigate frame wear. The new "looped" trigger spring may not work with your older style grips. Changing slide pin will require a punch or too and a hammer. Do a little research before you do it, but it's actually not that hard. I use a parts kit with all my used SIGs as I generally don't get a maintenance history when I purchase them.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the informative comments. This pistol has had very little use and cosmetically it is pristine so LEO trade in is probably ruled out. Sig got it right on this model. It feels like shooting a 38spc on felt recoil. I will follow your recommendations.
Thanks
Wilbur

Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I had a p229 AB144xx. SIG customer service told me it was a 1994 manufacture date sometime around 2003. So take that FWIW.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
If you could have only one SIG, you have one of the very best!

P229 was my second Sig. (I first caught "the Sig-ness" with a P239.) If I could keep only one Sig, the P229 is the one I'd fight someone for.

Welcome to SF, Surfslayer.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post