SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock Extractors. Anyone have one break?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock Extractors. Anyone have one break? Login/Join 
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted
I have been accessorizing a G-19; RMR, threaded barrel, disconnector, etc. and was wondering if anyone has had an extractor failure. There seems to be a lot of marketing info that you should replace the MIM extractor with billet or tool steel. Just trying to get an idea if this is really a common failure point.
The fact I probably have about 4k rounds (hardly any compared to many people here) through a couple of stock Glocks without a failure tells me they are not made of tissue paper and the extractor thing is probably just aftermarket marketing BS.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've only got 12 Glocks, but some have been shot a lot. Never had a failure. I would not worry about an extractor failure myself. And from shooting matches for years I never saw one fail.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen one fail. I've probably got 20 or so Glocks. My agency has about 100 (and this is the third round of Glocks) and I am aware of no failures. Certainly there have not been any in the 8 years I have been with this department. Never any with the department before that as well.

Good MIM parts do just fine the overwhelmingly vast majority of the time. You are far, far, far more likely to see failures related to magazines and ammunition.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that was pretty much what I was thinking. Some extra $ I don't need to spend.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our agency had a few G22's with chipped extractors years ago. They were Gen 3 models and the damage was caused by officers single loading the pistols by hand rather than loading from a magazine.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I have been accessorizing a G-19; RMR, threaded barrel, disconnector, etc.

There is no "disconnector" in a Glock

quote:
....was wondering if anyone has had an extractor failure. There seems to be a lot of marketing info that you should replace the MIM extractor with billet or tool steel. Just trying to get an idea if this is really a common failure point.
The fact I probably have about 4k rounds (hardly any compared to many people here) through a couple of stock Glocks without a failure tells me they are not made of tissue paper and the extractor thing is probably just aftermarket marketing BS.

To worry about Glock extractor failure is a Fool's Errand.
If you open the breach and hand chamber a round, than let the slide fly, you can damage the extractor.
This goes for other pistol types, as well.
Don't do it. Chamber a round from the magazine like you are supposed to.

At 4000 rounds, in another 1000 rounds think about freshening your RSA.
That is all.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In dozens of Glocks, never had a failure of ANY kind. It's hard to argue with reliability like that. I would guess 10s of thousands of rounds.

Although I prefer Sig, I cannot say the same thing. Frown

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep.

My 1989 Gen 2 Glock 19 started having intermittent FTE issues a few years ago, and I discovered the extractor was chipped. I got it used several years before that, with an unknown round count, and I personally had put about 4k more through it myself.

So after about 25+ years of use and what I can assume is many thousands of rounds, it did happen.

But it's an easy fix.

(And no, I hadn't been single loading rounds directly into the chamber and dropping the slide on them.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I had the locking block on my Glock 32 fail while I was at the range. I had a Glock 23 .40 S&W barrel in at the time and was firing 165 grain Winchester Ranger which is pretty high energy.

It was probably around 5k rounds and when it failed the gun was no longer able to fire so in a defense scenario that'd be bad.

Never had any of my SIG's have a failure like that.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I must have close to 20k rounds thru my Glocks and the only time I had an extractor failure was when a tiny little piece of brass got stuck in the extractor. Most likely a freak incident and not really a failure of the extractor. Gun had about 10k rounds thru it at the time and a dozen or more posts in the Glock forum said I needed to replace the recoil spring. That’s the automatic response you will get over there. When I discovered the brass stuck in the extractor and posted back that I fixed it, no one ever replied back to me. I hope they were all too embarrassed to reply. When someone tells you that you need to replace this and that if you have X amount of rounds thru it, look the gun over carefully and do some research.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've never had a broken extractor for any Glock, but I have a full set of spare parts for 9x19mm gen 3 Glocks, except for slide, frame and barrel.

Come to think of it, I have factory threaded barrels for G19 and G17, so, everything except slide and frame, G26 and G34 barrels.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107572 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Ive broken two extractors in my days. One on a Beretta 96 and one on a Glock 19. Had to order new ones for both. Not a spare part i kept around but also not a hard one to find in stock online

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
$13 and change. Order a spare and you will never need it.
I haven't.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a chipped extractor on a G17 pointed out to me and replaced by a Glock armorer for free at a GSSF match. The gun was still functioning perfectly, and I had no reason to believe anything was wrong with it at the time.

Posts: 27 | Location: FL | Registered: September 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not me, but an LEO that competes at our club broke one on his duty 17 at around 20,000+ rounds of steel case Russian. That is the only one I have heard about. He wasn't concerned given his round count.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The only extractor that I had break was on a Kimber 1911. It was a MIM part. I called them and they sent me two replacement extractors for free.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Negative, but I have spares just in case.

quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
Not me, but an LEO that competes at our club broke one on his duty 17 at around 20,000+ rounds of steel case Russian. That is the only one I have heard about. He wasn't concerned given his round count.
I think he got his monies worth out of that extractor. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have super high round count individual glocks just because I change them all the time in terms of what I regularly shoot. But I've more than 200K rounds down various glocks or multiple generations and never broken one. Of course I don't shoot steel case or even crappy ammo.
But the part costs $20, is easily available to purchase, trivial to install even on a rainy dark night. So I can't imagine what's to worry about on this part. But of course I do keep a spare or two surrounded by the rest of the necessary spare parts...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've seen it happen to a fellow competitor at a bowling pin shoot on a new Glock. Doesn't mean it's common.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. When I worked at the range in the 90's had a customer whose gun was acting up. Gen2 G22. Extractor chipped at the bottom.

My own personal Gen2 G22 broke one back in the early 2000s.

Might have broken one on a high mileage G19. Can't remember.

Been shooting Glocks a couple decades now. Seen some breakages: trigger return springs, locking blocks and pins, frames, frame rails, even had a new rental G30 at the range back when they were first pushed out that had the thin slide stop spring. It broke after a few rounds.

A lot of these breakages and the gun still ran, just not reliably.

You push out product at Glock volumes and there are bound to be a few failures.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post